Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gadgetfreak98

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 6, 2009
Woke up in the middle of the night annoyed by the status light on my Eufy Pan & Tilt camera, for which HomeKit integration has been promised since launch. I know I had turned off the status light before so when I went back into the Eufy Security app to turn it off, I happened to notice that the HomeKit Portal setting no longer had “coming soon.” That setting was now active and I could go through the proper HomeKit setup. It shows firmware 2.0.6.9 as of 1:40am this morning.

I also have a non panning Eufy 2K. That has not been enabled on HomeKit. Still shows Coming Soon. Hopefully that’s just a matter of time...

Good on Anker/Eufy to continue to honor their HomeKit promises.

d.steve

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2012
Too bad the image quality is incredibly poor once you enable HKSV. There is no fine detail at all. Faces are just a blurry mess.

And while you can disable the non-HKSV stuff, it doesn’t work properly if it can’t talk to eufy’s servers.

Right now it’s a compete turd, and I’ve stopped using the indoorcam 2k until/unless they can make it right.

Bfarmer38119

macrumors regular
May 27, 2012
Memphis
I continually find NO RESPONSE in Homekit for either 2K or the 2k P/T. Very frustrating. Usually comes back or I have to remove and re-add. Generally no problems in Eufy app.

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Too bad the image quality is incredibly poor once you enable HKSV. There is no fine detail at all. Faces are just a blurry mess.

And while you can disable the non-HKSV stuff, it doesn’t work properly if it can’t talk to eufy’s servers.

Right now it’s a compete turd, and I’ve stopped using the indoorcam 2k until/unless they can make it right.
Video quality in HK maxes out at 1080p.
One of the bigger disappointments for me with the Eufys is that they don’t support 2 Way audio within HK. I stream all my HK cameras exclusively in HK, which is supposed to be the main reason for HK. Get all your accessories consolidated and functioning in one place.

d.steve

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2012
Yeah I’m very aware of the 1080p limit.

The video quality is absurdly poor from incredibly bad compression despite the resolution. Everything is just blocky and lacking detail.
The hksv 1080p is worse than the in-camera 1080p, which suggests to me that it is lossy compressing a lossy compressed image further.

Video quality in HK maxes out at 1080p.
[automerge]1595084843[/automerge]
One of the bigger disappointments for me with the Eufys is that they don’t support 2 Way audio within HK.
it’s unlikely to happen. The camera audio is currently implemented as push to talk, and you can’t hear when it’s pushed. So, it’s implemented as half-duplex 2-way. So I expect it can’t do full duplex or they would have done that in their app.

My understanding is that HomeKit 2-way requires full duplex, but I haven’t spent the time to verify this.

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Yeah I’m very aware of the 1080p limit.

The video quality is absurdly poor from incredibly bad compression despite the resolution. Everything is just blocky and lacking detail.
The hksv 1080p is worse than the in-camera 1080p, which suggests to me that it is lossy compressing a lossy compressed image further.

[automerge]1595084843[/automerge]

it’s unlikely to happen. The camera audio is currently implemented as push to talk, and you can’t hear when it’s pushed. So, it’s implemented as half-duplex 2-way. So I expect it can’t do full duplex or they would have done that in their app.

My understanding is that HomeKit 2-way requires full duplex, but I haven’t spent the time to verify this.
Yes, I read this somewhere else too. Makes sense and probably the case. All the HomeKit reviewers on YouTube are raving about these cams. I have four P/T and two regular indoor Eufy cams still factory sealed in the box that I jumped on during the presale but I’m pretty sure I don’t want them anymore.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.