Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fab_o12

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 26, 2018
Hello all,
I am running a mac pro 5,1 2009
It has 2x 3.46 ghz processors and 32 gb ddr3 RAM and a Evaga GTX 1060 6gb.
I am getting fantastic frames and performance when i boot into windows 7 via Bootcamp but when I am in mac os and using programmes like final cut pro x I get very bad sluggish performance and in benchmarking my results in cinebench are 53fps on mac os and 85fps on Windows 7 why is this happening? and also the fans don't spin in mac os and i can only get them to spin in windows if a launch the evaga program that overclocks and controls temperatures.
Does anyone know why I am encountering these problems?
Thanks

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Sep 19, 2012
are you using NVIDIA web drivers? what version?
what OS version?
APFS or HFS+ formatted system drive?
any other GPUs in system?
what slot is it connected to?

Fab_o12

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 26, 2018
are you using NVIDIA web drivers? what version?
what OS version?
APFS or HFS+ formatted system drive?
any other GPUs in system?
what slot is it connected to?

Yes I am using Nvidia web drivers and I'm on Sierra 10.12.6
It is the only GPU in the system and its connected into the 16x pcie slot (bottom one) and it is powered from the two mini 6pin power connectors from the motherboard that are converted to an 8pin power connected.

Im not sure what my what drive is formatted but its two 480gb ssds in raid 0 and windows in on a 1tb hdd but my ssds are probaby APFS not sure though they are osx journalated if that helps.
Thanks

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
Metal and OpenCL which macOS relies a lot on, both run way better on AMD. An RX 580 can outperform a GTX 1080 Ti in macOS.
Maybe Nvidia's web drivers will improve their perfomance in macOS over time, but as a rule of thumb, if your primary use is macOS, get AMD

Reactions: h9826790

Fab_o12

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 26, 2018
Metal and OpenCL which macOS relies a lot on, both run way better on AMD. An RX 580 can outperform a GTX 1080 Ti in macOS.
Maybe Nvidia's web drivers will improve their perfomance in macOS over time, but as a rule of thumb, if your primary use is macOS, get AMD
so if i swithc cards to an rx 580 will it still game as well as the 1060 in windows?

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Sep 19, 2012
Upgrading OS to 10.13.4 (17E199) with NVIDIA web driver 387.10.10.10.30.103 may be the best place to start troubleshooting. Generally speaking, I find the 10XX series GPUs perform best with the latest web driver.

Important note: Non-standard GPUs or GPUs that have been modified MAY have issues with the web driver on the Mac side.

Using a GPU that is most compatible with the NVIDIA web driver is the best suggestion. These are easily ID'd as Founders Editions cards directly sold by NVIDIA, but there are reference models from manufacturers. Look for the NVIDIA logo on the board itself near the PCIe pins/connection. If it's been replaced with manufacturer's logo, it likely was modified in SOME fashion.

Does it mean the NVIDIA web drivers will not work? No, and many cards do work with the web drivers. But if you're looking for peak performance and compatibility on the Mac side, this is something to pay attention to.

Fab_o12

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 26, 2018
O
Upgrading OS to 10.13.4 (17E199) with NVIDIA web driver 387.10.10.10.30.103 may be the best place to start troubleshooting. Generally speaking, I find the 10XX series GPUs perform best with the latest web driver.

Important note: Non-standard GPUs or GPUs that have been modified MAY have issues with the web driver on the Mac side.

Using a GPU that is most compatible with the NVIDIA web driver is the best suggestion. These are easily ID'd as Founders Editions cards directly sold by NVIDIA, but there are reference models from manufacturers. Look for the NVIDIA logo on the board itself near the PCIe pins/connection. If it's been replaced with manufacturer's logo, it likely was modified in SOME fashion.

Does it mean the NVIDIA web drivers will not work? No, and many cards do work with the web drivers. But if you're looking for peak performance and compatibility on the Mac side, this is something to pay attention to.
kay ill upgrade my system to high sierra and then run some bench tests.
Thanks

omvs

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2011
so if i swithc cards to an rx 580 will it still game as well as the 1060 in windows?

I don't think you're going to get anywhere near windows performance in OSX, though probably depends on the title you're running.

I run a 1060-egpu on my laptop (rmb 2014), and for Civ6 I think the frame rate is at least double on windows. Recently I swapped with a RX-570 since 10.13.4 handles the AMD cards better - my hope was under OSX it might be faster than the 1060, but in practice I had to drop my resolution even further to get a usable FPS.

On my mac pro I have a 1070, which gives it a bit more oomph, but its still faster under Windows. Never tried running a recent AMD card there, but I expect the same disappointment if I did.

Pretty much every cross-platform game I tried is much faster in windows -- Borderlands, XCOM, etc. So gaming for me in OSX is convenience. But maybe i'm just running the wrong games...?

Fab_o12

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 26, 2018
https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...out-nvidia-pc-non-efi-graphics-cards.1440150/

FAQ 19, Cinebench is generally very CPU limited on macOS due to Apple's OpenGL implementation. It's really not a great test of your GPU performance, try something like Unigine Heaven or Valley instead. Or, as others have pointed out, a Metal benchmark.
I just used cinebench as an example but i get 300 - 400 pfs on csgo and 150 -200 on fortnight on mac os i cant run either of t he games both get under 30 fps it is quite clear that there is a performance drop
thanks

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark

Most Windows games prefer Nvidia cards. DirectX 12 titles usually give AMD the edge, but DX11 titles usually give Nvidia the edge. So it's a bit of a toss-up depending on the title.

Pretty much every cross-platform game I tried is much faster in windows -- Borderlands, XCOM, etc. So gaming for me in OSX is convenience. But maybe i'm just running the wrong games...?

There's a lot of different things to consider. In general, yes, Windows performs better with games. There are exceptions though. And varying degrees of differences. As a rule of thumb, the higher the resolution, the smaller the difference. For me, XCOM actually runs a bit better on macOS (oddly), and in general, it's been found that the F1 racing game performs better on macOS (at least at higher resolutions). Most other games that I've tested or read about work better on Windows, but how much the difference is varies greatly. I've seen anything from 5% to 500%.

Asgorath

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2012
I just used cinebench as an example but i get 300 - 400 pfs on csgo and 150 -200 on fortnight on mac os i cant run either of t he games both get under 30 fps it is quite clear that there is a performance drop
thanks

What OS and driver version are you using on macOS? It's expected that Windows will be faster than macOS, but sub-30 FPS suggests there's something fundamentally wrong with your system. If you aren't on 10.13.4 with the latest NVIDIA driver, that will be the first place to start.

Fab_o12

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 26, 2018
Also, anyone knows why my fans aren't spinning in either mac osx or windows 7. I can only get them to spin when i launch Evaga Procession oc or something like that.
Thanks

Fab_o12

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 26, 2018
Oka
Exactly right, the Pascal GPUs are very efficient and don't need to run the fans when the GPU is idle.
y thank you for that information i shall do some testing
[doublepost=1524074662][/doublepost]Okay so i

downloaded high sierra but i cant install it on my ssd raid see picture enclosed for further details. Anyone know how to bypass this or is there no way round?
Thanks
[doublepost=1524074759][/doublepost]
Oka

y thank you for that information i shall do some testing
[doublepost=1524074662][/doublepost]Okay so i

downloaded high sierra but i cant install it on my ssd raid see picture enclosed for further details. Anyone know how to bypass this or is there no way round?
Thanks

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-04-18 at 17.48.04.png
    Screen Shot 2018-04-18 at 17.48.04.png
    149.5 KB · Views: 263
  • Screen Shot 2018-04-18 at 19.05.13.png
    Screen Shot 2018-04-18 at 19.05.13.png
    162.2 KB · Views: 224

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Sep 19, 2012
I would NOT recommend a workaround to install directly onto a RAID. The High Sierra install will want to reformat ("upgrade") your SSD format to APFS. There's a script to prevent that, BUT here's what I would recommend:

Clone your system drive to a SINGLE drive and put that in SATA bay #1 (Carbon Copy Cloner).
Then update macOS to High Sierra.
Then you can clone your system drive back to single SSD -OR- setup SSDs as a new RAID set in High Sierra, then clone system drive to RAID.

Few steps for a workaround, but should work.

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
I would NOT recommend a workaround to install directly onto a RAID. The High Sierra install will want to reformat ("upgrade") your SSD format to APFS. There's a script to prevent that, BUT here's what I would recommend:

Clone your system drive to a SINGLE drive and put that in SATA bay #1 (Carbon Copy Cloner).
Then update macOS to High Sierra.
Then you can clone your system drive back to single SSD -OR- setup SSDs as a new RAID set in High Sierra, then clone system drive to RAID.

Few steps for a workaround, but should work.

I've not myself tried, but I've heard a lot of people talking about HS not being bootable on RAIDs

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Sep 19, 2012
I'd personally avoid a bootable RAID in MacPro moving forward unless it is hardware based and displays to OS as a single native drive. Even then, make sure you have backup(s).

devynbrew

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2017
Hello all,
I am running a mac pro 5,1 2009
Thanks

I am running Mac Pro 5,1 2010 Dual CPUs with 1070 EVGA. All problems with sluggishness just got fixed this morning with 387.10.10.10.30.106 web driver update. Excited to see how this resolves problems with Adobe Premiere Pro...

Reactions: h9826790

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Sep 19, 2012
I am running Mac Pro 5,1 2010 Dual CPUs with 1070 EVGA. All problems with sluggishness just got fixed this morning with 387.10.10.10.30.106 web driver update. Excited to see how this resolves problems with Adobe Premiere Pro...

What problems with PPro are you running into? What renderer are you using?
Has been smooth most of the day with CC2018 (12.1.0 build 186) using OpenCL or CUDA renderer on 5,1 with GTX 1080 FE, dual 3.46 and 128GB RAM using the .106 web driver.

cccyyyccc

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2018
taiwan
anyone still following this thread? i'm thinking to pick up a nVidia GTX 1060 for my old mac pro 5.1 as well.
but worried that there will be no nVidia driver to support it.
two question,
my mac is on El Capitan 10.11.6, Mac Pro 5.1 (2010) 6 core 3.33Ghz
for now, nVidia seems only have drivers for their 10 series on Sierra or later OS X?
if I don't want to upgrade my OS, is there any other nVidia option for me, later ones that support El Capitan? i think Sierra is fine but i heard High Sierra is problematic.
Or is there other AMD graphic card would also work great on this machine?

i'm using it only for video editing with Primiere and after effects, sometime use MAYA or sketch up.

Last edited:

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
anyone still following this thread? i'm thinking to pick up a nVidia GTX 1060 for my old mac pro 5.1 as well.
but worried that there will be no nVidia driver to support it.
two question,
my mac is on El Capitan 10.11.6, Mac Pro 5.1 (2010) 6 core 3.33Ghz
for now, nVidia seems only have drivers for their 10 series on Sierra or later OS X?
if I don't want to upgrade my OS, is there any other nVidia option for me, later ones that support El Capitan? i think Sierra is fine but i heard High Sierra is problematic.
Or is there other AMD graphic card would also work great on this machine?

i'm using it only for video editing with Primiere and after effects, sometime use MAYA or sketch up.

1060 won't work, but a 970 will do.

Melbourne Park

macrumors 6502a
I have a similar Mac (bought new too). If I put a founder 1070 in it, will the mac boot up normally? Is there a thread to advise which card is best for a 5.1 and how to install it and start everything up ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.