Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

carlos28355

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 6, 2012
I have two elgato eve room sensors. One in my daughters soon and the other in the room with my front door. My air quality goes up and down a lot but in my daughters room it seems to stay around poor or inferior and I don’t know what to do with this information. Are there other devices I should buy that can give me more insight to why the air quality seems to be poor in her room? I have a carbon monoxide sensor and that’s fine so I guess we can rule that out. Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks

Attachments

• 1D9CA7E6-2B5A-4030-8C20-73E9B65862B9.png
    1D9CA7E6-2B5A-4030-8C20-73E9B65862B9.png
    534.3 KB · Views: 249
  • D0DE07C1-C6E3-4F72-99EE-7951BB496EDF.png
    D0DE07C1-C6E3-4F72-99EE-7951BB496EDF.png
    640.3 KB · Views: 188

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Could be candles or incense.

However it’s likely VOC’s from beauty products, cleaners, fragrances, deodorizers, etc etc.

Those chemicals are unhealthy to breath and when concentrated (like in a young girls room) will send air quality sensors off the charts.

If that is the case you can try to mitigate the situation by introducing fresh air, air purifiers designed for VOCs and/or asking her to use products in the bathroom with the vent on, not her room.

Let me know if you don’t think that is the problem because I’m just guessing however it’s so common with it’s worth mentioning.

carlos28355

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 6, 2012
We make our own mop solution with vinegar. We make our own lotions with coconut oil and bees wax. She’s only 3 so there aren’t any products that she uses. I know you’re just guessing that’s all I can ask for. Maybe spark something. The paint on her walls I voc free. We don’t burn incense or use any air sprays. Especially in her room. Candles are once in a while not in her room directly. I’m really at a loss. What else it could be. Something bad in our house in general‽‽‽

Could be candles or incense.

However it’s likely VOC’s from beauty products, cleaners, fragrances, deodorizers, etc etc.

Those chemicals are unhealthy to breath and when concentrated (like in a young girls room) will send air quality sensors off the charts.

If that is the case you can try to mitigate the situation by introducing fresh air, air purifiers designed for VOCs and/or asking her to use products in the bathroom with the vent on, not her room.

Let me know if you don’t think that is the problem because I’m just guessing however it’s so common with it’s worth mentioning.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
We make our own mop solution with vinegar. We make our own lotions with coconut oil and bees wax. She’s only 3 so there aren’t any products that she uses. I know you’re just guessing that’s all I can ask for. Maybe spark something. The paint on her walls I voc free. We don’t burn incense or use any air sprays. Especially in her room. Candles are once in a while not in her room directly. I’m really at a loss. What else it could be. Something bad in our house in general‽‽‽
How often do you vent the room? Small rooms especially need decent ventilation. Especially if there is sunlight as it can degrade air quality quickly.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012

I wouldn’t have guessed you went to such effort to maintain air quality.

Candles will send those sensors for a loop. I would stop burning them completely for a week just to see if that makes a difference.

Products off gassing in a confined area will cause poor area quality (carpet, plastics especially those found in big kids toys). In that case better ventilation can help.

They make whole house indoor air quality that help like fresh air ventilators which will pull in outside air and exhaust inside air with the HVAC system (avoid ozone generators as ozone is a lung irritant).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.