Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TokyoKiller

macrumors member
Aug 2, 2023
So will it still be touching those level of 11GB RAM for such simpler tasks and activity ?

Yes. If you’re new to the Mac or Apple, I’d say worry less about the numbers and be more concerned with how it feels. If it feels snappy then you’re all set, continue business as usual.

If you’re noticing sluggishness then be concerned and keep an eye out.

tomekwsrod

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2018
I have 64 GB M1 Max MBP 16; it consistently shows 52-54 GB. No big deal; lot of is cache, and being ready. I rarely see Apps slow down or Memory pressure in Red or yellow. Let OS handle the memory, and enjoy your Mac unless you have a reason to worry. View attachment 2351252
You have 64GB RAM and the system still uses Swap? This is super odd.

The below is from my old Intel, which is still super fast for me. When taking the screenshots it had many usall apps open and MS Edge with about 30 Tabs :) I only get close to 64 gigs once I start to use VMs and containters. I have never ever noticed swap being used by the system.

1708493586817.png

smirking

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley
So will it still be touching those level of 11GB RAM for such simpler tasks and activity ?

You're gonna be fine. Even if you run out of RAM, most common programs perform amazingly well even under heavy SSD swap. Someone here ran a 34GB process on a 32GB Windows machine and then tried it on an 8GB M2. You can read more about it, but long story short is that the Windows process refused to run despite only lacking 2GB of headroom whereas the 8GB M2 ran successfully... a few minutes slower, but it ran.

I also have 16GB and I sometimes run 5-6 browsers along with way more intense programs than you're running. And I did mean to say BROWSERS... not tabs... Firefox, Safari, Edge, Chrome, Windows Chrome, Windows Firefox.

You're gonna be fine.

Last edited:
Reactions: Analog Kid

frou

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2009
With this and your previous thread about whether leaving Bluetooth enabled harms the computer, it seems like you are looking for reasons to be anxious. How about changing your mindset to just chill out and enjoy using your computer.

PsykX

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2006
Basically all RAM threads about Macs nowadays come down to this :
- 8GB is not enough and when you have this config, it's most likely the bottleneck of your computer
- How to know if you have enough RAM :
A) RAM usage is NOT an indicator in modern OSes. Don't look at this.
B) Is your memory pressure green, yellow or red?
C) Does it use a swap file and if so, how big is it?

If it uses no swap file and your memory pressure is green ➜ You have enough RAM.

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2022

The below is from my old Intel, which is still super fast for me. When taking the screenshots it had many usall apps open and MS Edge with about 30 Tabs :) I only get close to 64 gigs once I start to use VMs and containters. I have never ever noticed swap being used by the system.

View attachment 2351490
It isn’t odd at all for my usage. Swap gets bad rap from those old windows days. For Mac OS and many variations of Linux, Swap is helpful if you are not running out of RAM. There are lot of models, and configuration data that gets loaded in My mac, not everything is used actively. Mac pushes those in to Swap, just in case if the RAM needs to be cleared for more processing. I push my RAM to max with GPU, last thing I want at that time is OS to start offloading memory in to swap. Intel is no good for me, I use MBP primarily for unified memory.

OrenLindsey

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2023
North Carolina

You can get your device to use swap with any memory configuration. I have 32gb and it regularly uses swap just from having too many safari tabs (~200) open.

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2022
With this and your previous thread about whether leaving Bluetooth enabled harms the computer, it seems like you are looking for reasons to be anxious. How about changing your mindset to just chill out and enjoy using your computer.
Those YouTube videos freak out a lot of folks. I use my MBP/Workstation heavily, often pushing to the limits. Never had issues with any of my Macs even after heavy usage for years. I wouldn’t buy something I have to be anxious or baby sit every day.

Siliconguy

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2022
Typically in my experience, it’s about 2X Swap/RAM. I have a 1 TB SSD and 64 GB RAM. Most optimal SSD free space is more than 120-130 GB. Lower than 100GB, I can see some degradation. But then again, I use my MBP at Max loads often. I also have MBA 2 base model for family, it works ok with less than 40 GB free space.
Swap being twice the size of RAM is what I remember from the bad old days as well. On Linux it used to be a separate partition on the drive, now it's a file somewhere.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP:

What really counts is that if you look at Activity Monitor, the "swap used" is at "0".

This means that all your app activity is "living in" RAM, and not spilling over into a disk swap file.

Reactions: tomekwsrod

LarTeROn

macrumors member
May 8, 2020
Hong Kong
As someone who's literally about to swap one 8gb MBP for a 16gb MBP because of swap file chugging ( Firefox 10 tabs, excel, word, obsidian, drafts, raycast, rectangle)...
Thanks?

Reactions: TechnoMonk

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
C) Does it use a swap file and if so, how big is it?
...the mere existence of a swap file isn't a problem. What matters is the swap rate - i.e. how frequently the computer is needing to swap memory in and out from SSD - which is what slows things down. ISTR there used to be a swap rate rate indication in Activity Monitor - but these days it is rolled up in the "memory pressure" readout.

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2022
OP:

What really counts is that if you look at Activity Monitor, the "swap used" is at "0".

This means that all your app activity is "living in" RAM, and not spilling over into a disk swap file.
This is not true. Swap isn’t just about enough RAM or living in RAM. If you have processes, apps that are inactive/not actively using memory. MacOS and most of Linux variants will offload that to Swap, ready to reclaim the RAM if it needs for more intensive active process. This ensures that OS isn’t swapping in real time when it is busy. It also acts like hot standby as the memory is mapped.

Allen_Wentz

macrumors 68030
Dec 3, 2016
USA
As someone who's literally about to swap one 8gb MBP for a 16gb MBP because of swap file chugging ( Firefox 10 tabs, excel, word, obsidian, drafts, raycast, rectangle)...
Thanks?
Obviously we do not know your situation, but IMO moving to just 16 GB on a box new in 2024 is short-sighted thinking.

Cancelled
Mar 19, 2005
Hi Guys,

I have just started using my New Mac Mini which is the M2 and has 16GB of RAM and 512 GB of SSD. And I am worried about the RAM it uses, it is constantly on the 11GB used Status. I mean I am hardly doing anything some 5-6 Safari Browsing Tabs, occasionally opening Finder, Photos and Notes but also making sure I quit them completely so that they don't remain open and keep running in the background and yet this thing the Activity Monitor keeps showing so much of RAM consumed.

I was always told that the Mac Mini is so efficient and intelligent that for such light kind of use as mine, even the basic level configuration which only comes with 8GB of RAM is good enough, then how come in my case it keeps clocking around 11GB of RAM.

I am worried, not looking a good sign, especially when I will need it. So how do I bring it down and maintain it at that level.
Question:

When you're on a trip and you enter the bus, train or plane—what do you do when it's empty and you sit down with no one around you?​

Answer:

You spread out! You take up three seats—not just one. You sit on one seat, you put your bags on a second seat and your books, food, or phone on a third seat because it's now like a little table for you. You're sort of reserving two more seats (than you need) for yourself, but you do it to be comfortable and operate optimally.​

Question:

What happens when the bus, train or plane makes a stop and picks up more passengers, filling up and no longer empty?​

Answer:

You consolidate your stuff back into your bag, but the bag under the seat in front of you (or the overhead compartment, or your lap) and you go back to taking up only one seat, because that's all you're entitled to.​

This is what observing Activity Monitor is like. When your RAM is abundant, apps will reserve more RAM for itself because, "why not? It's free space." And this makes the software operate optimally. Memory pressure is GREEN.

When RAM is becoming scarce and running out of free space, macOS requests that these apps give up RAM, which those apps will do as best they can. Memory pressure is Yellow.

When macOS requests even more space but apps have given up all they can, macOS starts using storage to store data temporarily as it makes room in RAM for the apps that urgently need it. Memory pressure turns RED. And your CPU/GPU is slowing down to accommodate this process.

Conclusion: If you're in GREEN, you're fine and the apps are just taking up more memory than it really needs. Your Mac is operating optimally.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Techno explained:
"Swap isn’t just about enough RAM or living in RAM. If you have processes, apps that are inactive/not actively using memory. MacOS and most of Linux variants will offload that to Swap, ready to reclaim the RAM if it needs for more intensive active process. This ensures that OS isn’t swapping in real time when it is busy. It also acts like hot standby as the memory is mapped."

OK.

But I have VM disk swapping DISABLED on both my desktop (2018 Mini) and laptop (2021 MBP 14") Macs.

And they still run just fine.

Rookbird¥

macrumors member
Aug 19, 2021
Hi Guys,

I have just started using my New Mac Mini which is the M2 and has 16GB of RAM and 512 GB of SSD. And I am worried about the RAM it uses, it is constantly on the 11GB used Status. I mean I am hardly doing anything some 5-6 Safari Browsing Tabs, occasionally opening Finder, Photos and Notes but also making sure I quit them completely so that they don't remain open and keep running in the background and yet this thing the Activity Monitor keeps showing so much of RAM consumed.

I was always told that the Mac Mini is so efficient and intelligent that for such light kind of use as mine, even the basic level configuration which only comes with 8GB of RAM is good enough, then how come in my case it keeps clocking around 11GB of RAM.

I am worried, not looking a good sign, especially when I will need it. So how do I bring it down and maintain it at that level.
I am always maxing out my 8GB Mac mini. You just start a program like Firefox and next thing you know it’s using 5GB+ of system memory. Same thing with Finder. I open a few windows and before long Finder is using 3-5GB of system memory. I’m not sure what is causing this but the fact that Apple still insists on selling computers that only come with 8GB of ram is ridiculous. I refuse to buy another Apple computer until they start coming with 16GB of ram and a 500GB SSD drive. People say that’s what the system is supposed to do. Use the memory for cache and then free up memory for when it needs it but mine doesn’t. The swap file will get progressively bigger and the computer will bog down. It used to be where my Windows computer I had to restart it every 2 or 3 days because it would get slow but my Apple computer would run for over a week without any slow down but lately it seems like things have flipped. My Windows computer runs a lot longer before it slows down and I have to restart it but it seems I have to restart my Apple computer every 3 days due to it slowing down.

Last edited:
Reactions: AlixSPQR
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.