Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

livingfortoday

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 17, 2004
The Msp
So, I don't know if there's a thread on this already, but I gotta ask.

Have any of you guys done something really nice for Apple because it's Apple, that you wouldn't do for, say, Dell or another PC company?

What I mean - I bought an Intel iMac and got a printer with it, filed out the $100 off form (for the buy a Mac get a printer promo), sent it in. I returned the iMac for a full refund a few weeks later, and ended up getting a Mac Mini instead. As I was checking out at the store, a saleslady said I could get a free printer if I wanted, since I got the Mini. I felt bad for still having a free printer from the iMac though, since I technically didn't get a computer with it cause of the full refund - so I declined. I thought about it for a second, especially since I could probably get a decent amount for a brand new in-the-box printer + refund check, but decided I didn't wanna screw Apple out of $100. To be honest, I don't know if I would have decided the same thing if it had been Dell.

So... your thoughts? Your stories?

Demon Hunter

macrumors 68020
Mar 30, 2004
There was that time I bought two copies of iWork '05. I couldn't find my copy, and that rumor about poor sales had me worried. ;)

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
I've talked others into buying Macs. Most of those were school purchases (hundreds of Macs overall), but a few were friends, neighbors, and coworkers.

I help people who mistake me for an employee at an Apple Store, but I've also done that at Best Buy, so that's not Apple specific. Perhaps if I didn't wear solid-color T-shirts, that wouldn't happen so often!

jhu

macrumors 6502a
Apr 4, 2004
livingfortoday said:

Have any of you guys done something really nice for Apple because it's Apple, that you wouldn't do for, say, Dell or another PC company?

What I mean - I bought an Intel iMac and got a printer with it, filed out the $100 off form (for the buy a Mac get a printer promo), sent it in. I returned the iMac for a full refund a few weeks later, and ended up getting a Mac Mini instead. As I was checking out at the store, a saleslady said I could get a free printer if I wanted, since I got the Mini. I felt bad for still having a free printer from the iMac though, since I technically didn't get a computer with it cause of the full refund - so I declined. I thought about it for a second, especially since I could probably get a decent amount for a brand new in-the-box printer + refund check, but decided I didn't wanna screw Apple out of $100. To be honest, I don't know if I would have decided the same thing if it had been Dell.

So... your thoughts? Your stories?

wait a minute. you got a mac and a free printer, returned the mac but kept the printer? i don't see the point of your question since you kept the first printer and declined a second printer. you didn't do any favors to apple in the first place.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
calebjohnston said:
Haha... I make that mistake occasionally.

Solid blank shirts = employee in my mind.
That's right! I remember selling you two 30" Cinema Displays when you mistook me for an Apple employee. You believed me about the 100% rebate offer after 30 days, but it was too late by then! :D

My Apple-looking T-shirt also let me sneak into the employee-only area, where I saw how they sit around watching the feeds from the iSights in the customer area and laughing as people make funny faces into the lenses. ;)

killuminati

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2004
Nope.

To me Apple is a company just like any other. I just happen to really like their products.

livingfortoday

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 17, 2004
The Msp
jhu said:
wait a minute. you got a mac and a free printer, returned the mac but kept the printer? i don't see the point of your question since you kept the first printer and declined a second printer. you didn't do any favors to apple in the first place.

I'm not sure I follow you. I could have gotten the second printer for free, but I felt that since I didn't have the computer that came with the first one, and since it was a buy a computer get a free printer deal, it would be cheating Apple out of $100 by getting a second printer. Since they refunded the money, see.

jhu

macrumors 6502a
Apr 4, 2004
livingfortoday said:
I'm not sure I follow you. I could have gotten the second printer for free, but I felt that since I didn't have the computer that came with the first one, and since it was a buy a computer get a free printer deal, it would be cheating Apple out of $100 by getting a second printer. Since they refunded the money, see.

well, you "cheated" apple out of $100 by not returning the printer when you returned the computer.

killuminati

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2004
jhu said:
well, you "cheated" apple out of $100 by not returning the printer when you returned the computer.

Why?

Why???

I don't get why people on these forums always need to take something someone does and put a negative twist on it. It just bothers me so much.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
killuminati said:
Why?

Why???

I don't get why people on these forums always need to take something someone does and put a negative twist on it. It just bothers me so much.
Apple is not in the business of giving away printers. The printer was very much like a rebate on the computer. The major difference is that he received the printer immediately rather than 8 to weeks later as is usually the case with rebates. Since the OP returned the computer, he had no right to keep the printer.

livingfortoday

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 17, 2004
The Msp
MisterMe said:
Apple is not in the business of giving away printers. The printer was very much like a rebate on the computer. The major difference is that he received the printer immediately rather than 8 to weeks later as is usually the case with rebates. Since the OP returned the computer, he had no right to keep the printer.

Well, the printer had a mail-in rebate to make it free too, so I had to wait a few weeks for that check. I was actually surprised it came, since I had long since returned the iMac and was waiting to get the Mini. But Apple never asked for the printer, nor did it not send the refund. So the printer was free without the iMac.

Why is why I didn't get the second printer when asked. Because I felt bad about it. Which is why I started this thread. Okeedokee everybody? Clear enough?

livingfortoday

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 17, 2004
The Msp
Great, now I'm getting harassing IM's about this? Could the mods please just shut this down? I had no idea this was a controversial topic in any way, sheesh.

killuminati

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2004
MisterMe said:

So you're saying that if you were in the same situation as him, you would return the first printer? It is unlikely that most people would do that. What he did do was not be greedy and take another printer which he easily could have done.

It's too bad this thread didn't end up being about what the OP intended, but rather about what he did and peoples opinions on that.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
killuminati said:
So you're saying that if you were in the same situation as him, you would return the first printer? ...
Yes, that is exactly what I am saying. When I acquire something, it is because I worked and paid for it. This does not mean that I am adverse to receiving gifts. If Apple wanted me to keep the printer, that is a different matter. However, it would be the company's decision, not mine.

/SG\

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2006
livingfortoday said:

Sorry, I would only do nice things for Dell. They make exceptional laptops. Unless Apple wants to do something nice for me.

kgarner

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2004
Utah
EricNau said:
Especially when they are wearing a red shirt in Target.
I actually had a lady that acted like she didnt' believe me whan I told I didn't work there. She gave me this look like, "Yeah right, If you don't want to help me just say so, don't lie about it." :p

xli_ne

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2005
Center of the Nation
livingfortoday said:
Well, the printer had a mail-in rebate to make it free too, so I had to wait a few weeks for that check. I was actually surprised it came, since I had long since returned the iMac and was waiting to get the Mini. But Apple never asked for the printer, nor did it not send the refund. So the printer was free without the iMac.

Why is why I didn't get the second printer when asked. Because I felt bad about it. Which is why I started this thread. Okeedokee everybody? Clear enough?

i would think the printer company (i'm guessing its a epson) would see the lost and not apple.

I'm more amazed that you were able to return the computer since most rebates require cutting out the UPC off the product, and most stores will not take back a product without the UPC.

jadekitty24

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2005
The poor section of Connecticut
To the OP, yes, certain companies including Apple have inspired me to not take advantage of certain situations above others. I see nothing wrong with what you did, you essentially traded one printer offer for the other...you bought a computer which you returned, kept the printer, bought another computer, and turned down the free printer offer. You got the same results as you would have if you had returned the original printer, only with way less hassle. The fact that you would feel bad about taking a 2nd printer says a lot about you, seeing as how a lot of people would not hesitate to grab another printer and sell it. Ignore the thread pissers. Every forum has those self-righteous yahtzels.

cycocelica

macrumors 68000
Apr 28, 2005
Redmond, WA
Well I am not sure if I would take another free printer but I would take one just to have another one. Just because I like Apple doesnt mean that if they want to give me a new printer for free I wouldn't take it. Apple has tons of money.

scibry

macrumors member
Apr 5, 2004
Apple really disappointed me a few times with truly broken, malfunctioning PowerBook problems and I blogged about it harshly but in the end I apologized. It wasn't an apology to Apple the way I saw it, it was a way to keep my blogging post because if I had said how badly I was treated and continued to the degree I wanted to I would have lost all those "friends" on the blog, which at the time I needed and liked. In the end, it was good to be able to say in the e-mail Steve Jobs acted on that I blogged against you publically (in a blog that was not just me alone on a soapbox) so I did need those other people to get as far as I did as quickly when normal AppleCare and Genius Bar failed. I felt more powerful knowing I was on a more public place but it also made me more shy about showing my disappointment. Yes, peer pressure. Remember what I said---that PowerBook G4 is deafening and ugly still.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.