Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Original poster
Sep 30, 2019
I shoot on a Sony A6400 I have multiple SD Card to USB-C adapters before 13.3 now 13.4 I used to just connect my SD card to USB-C go to Files app and copy my videos to files app or save to photos app from files app. Sadly since 13.3 when I connect my SD card to My Ipad Pro 11 2018 to files app it can read files; but once i copy them to files app or photos app the videos and photos get corrupted by example. Videos will show as 0kb and photos will have weird grey artifacts. Now I have seen the grey photo artifacts in the past but this has happen with 3 of my sd cards 2 new and 1 older but still reliable even now with my new technique on transferring to files app.
So what happens once i remove my SD card and put it back to my A6400 Sony camera, photos are unidentifiable and corrupted videos also And to add to the worse of it on Video Mode Where top left of camera will show amount of hours you have will show as 0 leaving me to format my card in camera for everything to work as new.
As for my new technique I use a Ravpower Filehub and use SD Card to a USB-C external SSD hard drive after the backup I just connect my USB-C SSD to my ipad and it works everything works. So now its left to how many times I reported to apple about this issue with no help at all. I have even restarted my Ipad Pro full reset with no avail. I wish I could just connect my SD card to my Ipad with no issues; But I no longer can trust my ipad by doing this since it keeps corrupting my SD Card. To note I tested SD card adapter to USB-c on my Samsung Phone and it works, I tested with my PC and it works, Also on a laptop and it works. The Ipad seems to be the only device corrupting my SD cards

My test is below I will copy and paste it here like pinning it

Test 1
SD card formatted by windows PC, 23 photos and 7 videos 26gb worth, Transferred from SD card using adapter to files app No Corruption in Files App, Transferring SD card formatted by Windows using Files app to Save Items to Photos App Corrupted Photos with Black Grey Boxes, Video is stuttering and audio crash. SD Card not Corrupted

Test 2
Transferring photos from SD Card to Photos App using Files APP by saving photos and videos caused Photos to have grey boxes empty and all videos working, Files App corrupted the photos transferred from Files app to Photos App, SD card was corrupted

Test 3
SD Card usb-c adapter to Ipad Pro, Using Files APP to view and Transfer SD card to Photos App with SD Card Lock on, No corruption to the photos and no corruption to Video, SD CARD NOT CORRUPTED WORKING!!!!

Test 3
Sony Camera Formatted SD CARD 512gb San Disk Extreme Pro
Transfered 50 photos and 1 6 minute video of 3.32gb, to Files App, No Corruption, Transferring Files App photos to Photos app Created Corruption on the video and photos giving grey artifacts on the photos and video skipping with audio issues

Test 4
Sony Camera Formatted SD Card to USB-C SSD using adapter which is usb-c SD Card is now connected with SSD both connected to a hub into the ipad files app. Transferring Photos from SD card with files app to G drive created corrupted photos and corrupted video, SD Card was Corrupted

Test 5
SSD with non corrupted photos and videos from Sony Camera, Transferring photos and videos to Files app no corruptions, Transferring Photos and Videos from the Ipad to the Photos app created Grey black Boxes for all the photos except 2, and videos are corrupted skipping and sound issues.

Test 6
Testing Sony Formatted SD Card to photos App all photos are not corrupted and working, video transfer failed to transfer, no corruption to SD card on Sony and files app.

Test 7
Transferring by saving Photos from photos app to files app. No corruption of files into files app, Video is working too.

Test 8
Transferring Working photos and videos from Files App (on my ipad) to Photos App, no corruption everything is working

All this shows to me is that Files app is the reason why Photos are being Corrupted and is corrupting the SD Card creating artifacts to images and videos.

Locking the SD Card to read only Seems to be the only way to Keep the SD Card Safe; but more trials needs to be tested on locking SD card to keep SD Card Safe. The issues of Files App to Photos App still on going. Files App seems to be the culprit into Photo and Video Corruption and will at times Corrupt the SD Card, It is almost 3/4 chance of getting no corruption but the occasional chance it will Corrupt both Photos Videos and SD Card to be viewed as unreadable needing Camera to ask to format the SD Card

Last edited:

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Weird problem. I use SD cards from three cameras with my iPad Pro without a problem - Canon 70D, Canon G7X Mk II, and an Olympus TG-6. Do you have another camera to test with? If not, can you use a PC or Mac and emulate the Sony's card setup on an SD card and then test that card with the iPad? The idea there is to have a similar card but not originating from the camera.

Cancelled
Original poster
Sep 30, 2019
Weird problem. I use SD cards from three cameras with my iPad Pro without a problem - Canon 70D, Canon G7X Mk II, and an Olympus TG-6. Do you have another camera to test with? If not, can you use a PC or Mac and emulate the Sony's card setup on an SD card and then test that card with the iPad? The idea there is to have a similar card but not originating from the camera.
I will update will try this out

Cancelled
Original poster
Sep 30, 2019
One other thing to try - can you format the cards for use in the camera on another device like a PC rather than in the camera itself? Just to see if the camera formatting may be causing an issue.
I will be back from work in a few hours will test this out

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
Sadly since 13.3 when I connect my SD card to My Ipad Pro 11 2018 to files app it can read files; but once i copy them to files app or photos app the videos and photos get corrupted by example

Have you tried locking the SD card before doing the read?

Cancelled
Original poster
Sep 30, 2019
Have you tried locking the SD card before doing the read?
I haven't yet but I will be test 3 different cards right now. First will be formated by PC to simulate the Sony card, 2nd Sony Card formatted by A6400 camera, 3rd Sony Formatted Card with Lock on When Transfering to protect files

Cancelled
Original poster
Sep 30, 2019
One other thing to try - can you format the cards for use in the camera on another device like a PC rather than in the camera itself? Just to see if the camera formatting may be causing an issue.

Test 1
SD card formatted by windows PC, 23 photos and 7 videos 26gb worth, Transferred from SD card using adapter to files app No Corruption in Files App, Transferring SD card formatted by Windows using Files app to Save Items to Photos App Corrupted Photos with Black Grey Boxes, Video is stuttering and audio crash. SD Card not Corrupted

Test 2
Transferring photos from SD Card to Photos App using Files APP by saving photos and videos caused Photos to have grey boxes empty and all videos working, Files App corrupted the photos transferred from Files app to Photos App, SD card was corrupted

Test 3
SD Card usb-c adapter to Ipad Pro, Using Files APP to view and Transfer SD card to Photos App with SD Card Lock on, No corruption to the photos and no corruption to Video, SD CARD NOT CORRUPTED WORKING!!!!

Test 3
Transfered 50 photos and 1 6 minute video of 3.32gb, to Files App, No Corruption
, Transferring Files App photos to Photos app Created Corruption on the video and photos giving grey artifacts on the photos and video skipping with audio issues

Test 4
Sony Camera Formatted SD Card to USB-C SSD using adapter which is usb-c SD Card is now connected with SSD both connected to a hub into the ipad files app. Transferring Photos from SD card with files app to G drive created corrupted photos and corrupted video, SD Card was Corrupted

Test 5
SSD with non corrupted photos and videos from Sony Camera, Transferring photos and videos to Files app no corruptions, Transferring Photos and Videos from the Ipad to the Photos app created Grey black Boxes for all the photos except 2, and videos are corrupted skipping and sound issues.

Test 6
Testing Sony Formatted SD Card to photos App all photos are not corrupted and working, video transfer failed to transfer, no corruption to SD card on Sony and files app.

Test 7
Transferring by saving Photos from photos app to files app. No corruption of files into files app, Video is working too.

Test 8
Transferring Working photos and videos from Files App (on my ipad) to Photos App, no corruption everything is working

All this shows to me is that Files app is the reason why Photos are being Corrupted and is corrupting the SD Card creating artifacts to images and videos.

Locking the SD Card to read only Seems to be the only way to Keep the SD Card Safe; but more trials needs to be tested on locking SD card to keep SD Card Safe. The issues of Files App to Photos App still on going. Files App seems to be the culprit into Photo and Video Corruption and will at times Corrupt the SD Card, It is almost 3/4 chance of getting no corruption but the occasional chance it will Corrupt both Photos Videos and SD Card to be viewed as unreadable needing Camera to ask to format the SD Card

8018CFD8-44ED-435C-BFD6-C7695D1D1316.png

Cancelled
Original poster
Sep 30, 2019
Hey, just find out on Google search "SD card corrupted" or Top 10 ways to fix corrupt SD Memory Card, you will get the solution to fix SD card. If you still don't fix the SD card, you need to try Stellar Photo Recovery software for recovery and repair your corrupted SD card. Thanks!
that isnt the issue i am reporting about

Domog34

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2018
Same problem here on Ipad Pro (12.9 2nd gen). It corrupts every sd card or usb memory stick I try. When connecting an external harddrive the ipad just turns black and restarts. All this worked fine (with minor hickups) prior IOS 13.3.

Cancelled
Original poster
Sep 30, 2019
Same problem here on Ipad Pro (12.9 2nd gen). It corrupts every sd card or usb memory stick I try. When connecting an external harddrive the ipad just turns black and restarts. All this worked fine (with minor hickups) prior IOS 13.3.
I have done a full reset no failures yet; but I won't count on apple ruining it again on next update. I would suggest not resetting yet unless you have icloud backup which made it a lot easier for me

Cancelled
Original poster
Sep 30, 2019
here is a video of what is happening to me right now since 13.3 now 13.4.5 beta 2

zenrev

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2020
Test 1

Test 2

Test 3

Test 3
Transfered 50 photos and 1 6 minute video of 3.32gb, to Files App, No Corruption
, Transferring Files App photos to Photos app Created Corruption on the video and photos giving grey artifacts on the photos and video skipping with audio issues

Test 4

Test 5

Test 6

Test 7

Test 8

View attachment 905335
Same problem with my iPad Pro. I’ve even bought a new usb c drive, files often corrupted when copying through multiple vs, only solution is cloud.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Same problem with my iPad Pro. I’ve even bought a new usb c drive, files often corrupted when copying through multiple vs, only solution is cloud.

See this new thread of mine -

What format are your cards?

zenrev

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2020
Fat 32 and exfat. I've used compact flash cards, SD cards, and various USB sticks. Maybe half the time the file is corrupted (when transferring to windows). These same drives work flawlessly everywhere else. I'm often prompted to repair the drive in windows as well. Once a file on the drive is corrupted, it will never work for that file, even if I format the drive. I have to use a different media, or just upload to the cloud. I just bought a SanDisk USB c drive - worked once, then a corrupted file.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Fat 32 and exfat. I've used compact flash cards, SD cards, and various USB sticks. Maybe half the time the file is corrupted (when transferring to windows). These same drives work flawlessly everywhere else. I'm often prompted to repair the drive in windows as well. Once a file on the drive is corrupted, it will never work for that file, even if I format the drive. I have to use a different media, or just upload to the cloud. I just bought a SanDisk USB c drive - worked once, then a corrupted file.

Yep, therein lies the problem. In other threads I've been in with similar issues, people have said their problems ceased when changing their storage to a native Apple format - not possible when you're dealing with camera cards or storage that has to also be used with Windows devices.

Reactions: zenrev

zenrev

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2020
Thank you. HaRd to accept, but for me the new Files app is only useful for ingesting content.

William D Holly

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2020
Thank you. HaRd to accept, but for me the new Files app is only useful for ingesting content.
I have had this same problem and I have found the solution. I use my iPad Pro to video record weekly messages. I need to move them to a pc at work and then to a common drive on the server. I bought a flash drive that has dual connectors - one is usb-c and the other usb-a. Often, in fact usually, the file copied over to the flash drive was corrupted. Sometimes, the pc windows would clean up the drive and it was usable again and the file might actually work on the very next time I repeated the copy procedure. I never could figure out why it sometimes worked but most times simply corrupted my flash drive. Finally, I happened on to a video describing how you attach a powered disk drive to the iPad Pro. The first step was to power down the iPad. It occurred to me that it was possible the iPad Pro can not hot connect / disconnect external storage devices. So, I powered down the iPad Pro, connected the flash drive, copied a video which worked perfectly. I copied another with the same result. I powered down the iPad before disconnecting the flash drive. Inserted the flash drive in the pc via the usb-a connector and I was able to copy to the pc with no problem at all. The file played beautifully. I deleted the video files on the flash drive while connected to the pc, ejected the flash drive, and repeated the process described above to connect the flash drive to the iPad Pro. I repeated it several time and it worked in every instance. I think the same thing will be true with a card reader or any other such storage device. NOTE: iPad Pro doesn't seem to be able to delete files from the flash drive. It looks like they're deleted, but when you leave the drive and return to it, they are still there.

Reactions: zenrev

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
I have had this same problem and I have found the solution. I use my iPad Pro to video record weekly messages. I need to move them to a pc at work and then to a common drive on the server. I bought a flash drive that has dual connectors - one is usb-c and the other usb-a. Often, in fact usually, the file copied over to the flash drive was corrupted. Sometimes, the pc windows would clean up the drive and it was usable again and the file might actually work on the very next time I repeated the copy procedure. I never could figure out why it sometimes worked but most times simply corrupted my flash drive. Finally, I happened on to a video describing how you attach a powered disk drive to the iPad Pro. The first step was to power down the iPad. It occurred to me that it was possible the iPad Pro can not hot connect / disconnect external storage devices. So, I powered down the iPad Pro, connected the flash drive, copied a video which worked perfectly. I copied another with the same result. I powered down the iPad before disconnecting the flash drive. Inserted the flash drive in the pc via the usb-a connector and I was able to copy to the pc with no problem at all. The file played beautifully. I deleted the video files on the flash drive while connected to the pc, ejected the flash drive, and repeated the process described above to connect the flash drive to the iPad Pro. I repeated it several time and it worked in every instance. I think the same thing will be true with a card reader or any other such storage device. NOTE: iPad Pro doesn't seem to be able to delete files from the flash drive. It looks like they're deleted, but when you leave the drive and return to it, they are still there.

I tried the same when investigating the corrupted photos issue I documented in the thread I noted above. I would still occasionally see the drive-needs-fixing issue, though less often. However, the power down before removal did nothing wrt corrupted files on copying - the corruption occurs during the copy itself.

zenrev

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2020
Super! They really should look into this, and give us an eject button, but... powering down.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.