Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

baryon

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 3, 2009
iPhone SE2, MacBook Pro 16 inch, all with latest software.

So back in the day of the iPod and the original iPhones, you'd plug in the cable and sync your music like that. Simple. Then WiFi sync became a thing on iTunes many years ago. I could never get it to work, it would be extremely slow (I mean hours) and it would eventually fail.

Fast forward to today. 3 iPhones and 3 Macs later I can still never get it to work. I've mostly bough the latest crap and keep everything up to date. Now, in Finder, if I click on my iPhone in the sidebar, it says that the session timed out. If I click it again it shows up, and I can start the sync... but it takes a long time and never really finishes.

I can't install any macOS updates automatically while my Mac sleeps because it will complain that the Finder can't quit because a sync is in progress... but that's always the case. It never syncs and never finishes.

I've tried everything from buying a new iPhone to buying a new Mac, to buying 3 new routers and changing my ISP. At this point I think this just doesn't work? Can anyone else get it to work? Should I just use the cable and just be done with it?

Also, how do I turn it off completely so that it doesn't struggle and fail to sync 24/7 even while it's sleeping?

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
Use a cable. Problem solved. There’s a checkbox in iPhone finder settings to disallow automatic backup

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.