Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nadar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 24, 2023
So I've tested Firefox stable and Nightly; Chrome; Edge Dev and Canary. Nothing works.
Firefox is extremely slow to launch, then keeps hanging, after a long time it seemingly works but I can't visit any website.
Chrome crashes immediately.
Edge Dev crashes immediately too. Edge Canary is crazy: it launches but all UI elements are missing! No text, no buttons, no icons, just the window border and a blank page (nothing can be done).

I tried:

Restarting.
Restarting in safe mode.
Delete all the apps and clear all system folders associated in Library (very thoroughly).
Fresh installs of those apps. Using both the latest versions and some older versions.

What the hell?!

This started with dev beta 1 and still occurs in dev beta 2. Everything worked perfectly before the update.

Reactions: Martyimac

Emmanuel.th

macrumors member
Mar 23, 2023
Same opinion to me.
- Microsoft Edge a lot of bug in stable release
but not found in beta or dev build (something broken reinstall not fix except they release next version)
if use not want to see bug and use beta or dev build, performance will drop
- Brave battery drain
- Safari still bug too. When I see Udemy tutor video only one clip and CPU will increase to 50-70% and random freezing and Youtube bug random reload in background and broken player now I can't click search button in YouTube channel page

dmccloud

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2009
Anchorage, AK
Firefox runs perfectly fine for me with the same extensions I was running under Ventura (also the same extensions I run on my Windows gaming PC). In OPs case, this sounds like a third party app is causing issues across multiple browsers. I know people reported major issues with Little Snitch, so it could be that app or one with similar functionality.

gank41

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2008
So I've tested Firefox stable and Nightly; Chrome; Edge Dev and Canary. Nothing works.
Firefox is extremely slow to launch, then keeps hanging, after a long time it seemingly works but I can't visit any website.
Chrome crashes immediately.
Edge Dev crashes immediately too. Edge Canary is crazy: it launches but all UI elements are missing! No text, no buttons, no icons, just the window border and a blank page (nothing can be done).

I tried:

Restarting.
Restarting in safe mode.
Delete all the apps and clear all system folders associated in Library (very thoroughly).
Fresh installs of those apps. Using both the latest versions and some older versions.

What the hell?!

This started with dev beta 1 and still occurs in dev beta 2. Everything worked perfectly before the update.
I have all of these browsers installed on an M1 MBP running macOS 14 b2, and they all work just fine (save for Safari 5 which doesn’t count as it’s more of an emulator)

Screenshot 2023-06-25 at 2.51.53 PM.jpeg

I would suggest checking for any odd extensions installed. Maybe even use an app like AppCleaner or TrashMe to remove the one you’re having an issue with, and then reboot and reinstall.

manuelg

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2019
Hi, for those of you having problems with Google Chrome launching correctly try starting it from a terminal window with the "disable-gpu" flag

For example:

/Applications/Google\ Chrome\ Beta.app/Contents/MacOS/Google\ Chrome --disable-gpu

If Chrome starts correctly, then go to "chrome://flags" and change "Choose ANGLE graphics backend" from "default" or "metal" to "OpenGl". Quit the browser completely and you should be able to restart it normally by opening it from the applications link. The same applies to other versions of Google Chrome and Microsoft Edge, just change the path accordingly.

Reactions: twanj

eoblaed

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
Like most of the others here, while I use Safari the most, Chrome works fine for me. Is it possible you’ve got some exotic extensions that are problematic?

nadar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 24, 2023
Update: I've used AppCleaner and reinstalled Edge, and finally it works. But I still have problems with some browsers. There must be something pretty unique about my system configuration that caused problems during the update...

Reactions: twanj

richmond62

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2020
Just DUMPED Brave owing to the "Brave Browser is now sharing your desktop" CRAP, and back to
old, trusty Firefox.

Martyimac

macrumors 68020
Aug 19, 2009
S. AZ.
Firefox V 115.0 not working at all. No extensions, no plugins. NADA. Was working sorta prior to the current beta, now not working at all. No connection to the internet. Safari working just fine.

eoblaed

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
Firefox V 115.0 not working at all. No extensions, no plugins. NADA. Was working sorta prior to the current beta, now not working at all. No connection to the internet. Safari working just fine.

Hmm. 115.0 working fine on my M1 Max MBP, Sonoma beta 3

(and now for a little Inception moment :D )

Screenshot 2023-07-06 at 9.26.41 AM.png

Last edited:
Reactions: gank41

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022
I have all of these browsers installed on an M1 MBP running macOS 14 b2, and they all work just fine (save for Safari 5 which doesn’t count as it’s more of an emulator)

View attachment 2223477

I would suggest checking for any odd extensions installed. Maybe even use an app like AppCleaner or TrashMe to remove the one you’re having an issue with, and then reboot and reinstall.

Try Orion. It's basically Safari but with actual plugin support

Reactions: gank41

Martyimac

macrumors 68020
Aug 19, 2009
S. AZ.
I found the issue finally. Using PIA as my VPN but even when it was disconnected, Firefox was unresponsive and Safari was iffy. Finally uninstalled PIA and now using Cloudflare Warp as a pseudo VPN and all is working well. HAve submitted a tech request to PIA but know they won't do anything since this is beta. Hopefully a heads up to them that something isn't working right.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.