Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PixelsMaster

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
I’ve been following/buying the iPhone since 3G days and this may be the first year I’ve seen an iPhone last this long with launch day delivery. Especially surprising with the chip shortage and lockdowns happening in China. What’s the driving factor? Inflation, lack of appeal, poor marketing?

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
I’ve been following/buying the iPhone since 3G days and this may be the first year I’ve seen an iPhone last this long with launch day delivery. Especially surprising with the chip shortage and lockdowns happening in China. What’s the driving factor? Inflation, lack of appeal, poor marketing?
I think more tend to go for the higher end like the Pro and Pro Max. Pro Max is hard to find and is back ordered. You can still find some Pro's for in-store pick up.

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013
I hope it's because the USA got a different phone from others. Plus inflation. Some are not wanting huge purchases. Apple took chargers, gave mediocre specs, and now no physical SIM. Greed is this companies middle name.

Not saying Android is better but at least you've got options. Here you've got 4 with zero physical SIM cards. This is a joke.

PixelsMaster

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
I think more tend to go for the higher end like the Pro and Pro Max. Pro Max is hard to find and is back ordered. You can still find some Pro's for in-store pick up.
Yeah, the Pro models and Plus are a different story but the entry version of every new model always sells the most units. Even with the other back order models, they don’t seem as far back ordered as they would normally be this long after pre-orders opened. Granted, I haven’t researched it, just seems that way from past experience.

PixelsMaster

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
I hope it's because the USA got a different phone from others. Plus inflation. Some are not wanting huge purchases. Apple took chargers, gave mediocre specs, and now no physical SIM. Greed is this companies middle name.

Not saying Android is better but at least you've got options. Here you've got 4 with zero physical SIM cards. This is a joke.
I am a bit surprised by the elimination of the physical SIM card in the US. Have not seen any benefit that the US models have over international models due to extra internal space. Battery size, cooling, etc?

Reactions: aenflex

Oridus

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2012

eSim has been inching its way closer to daily reality for a few years now… it’s only a matter of time until physical sims no longer exist regardless… and eventually a company will do exactly what Apple did. Once pretty much every single carrier is on board, nobody will care any more. They care right now because it’s change in its infancy, and sure it does cause some hiccups for people right now… but these hiccups now for a minority of people will pave the way for ease for everyone in the future.

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013
eSim has been inching its way closer to daily reality for a few years now… it’s only a matter of time until physical sims no longer exist regardless… and eventually a company will do exactly what Apple did. Once pretty much every single carrier is on board, nobody will care any more. They care right now because it’s change in its infancy, and sure it does cause some hiccups for people right now… but these hiccups now for a minority of people will pave the way for ease for everyone in the future.
People don't care until they end up without service like I have right now with leaving E-SIM. That or it gets nefarious.

People want, get, then cry. Look at history.

tbobmccoy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2007
Austin, TX

I for one am very happy to have eSIM. I never swap the card- it’s always been a liability in the phone to me.

heyyitssusan

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2014
The 14 Pro’s offer more features and isn’t that big of a difference in price vs the regular 14. I am upgrading from the 13 myself. The weight will take some time to get used to, but it’s going to be fun playing with dynamic island and finally getting AOD.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.