Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Spungoflex

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 30, 2012
Interesting observation, if I do say so myself. Who knew tech reporters had such "large", masculine hands. :rolleyes:

jigzaw

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2012
Forgive me as I employ an unwarranted and likely unfair cultural stereotype... they're computer geeks, and thus are probably mostly fat guys with big fat hands.

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008
Interesting observation, if I do say so myself. Who knew tech reporters had such "large", masculine hands. :rolleyes:

Based on all the whining on every Apple forum out there about "4in+ screens being unusable" then I think its already been proven that Tech Reporters have normal/large hands and Apple users have tiny girlish hands.

(I find it hard to believe that the same company that believes that these two products are considered the only acceptable "one-handed" size)

Attachments

• iPhone-5-4-Inch-display.jpg
    iPhone-5-4-Inch-display.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 125
  • 1024-ipad-mini_full_600.jpg
    1024-ipad-mini_full_600.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 116

Spungoflex

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 30, 2012
Based on all the whining on every Apple forum out there about "4in+ screens being unusable" then I think its already been proven that Tech Reporters have normal/large hands and Apple users have tiny girlish hands.

Most tech reporters are apple users. Quite the logical dilemma we find ourselves in.

jigzaw

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2012

(I find it hard to believe that the same company that believes that these two products are considered the only acceptable "one-handed" size)

This is willful misinterpretation. It's pretty clear that when it comes to the phones, Apple's desire is to make a phone that you can fully operate with one hand while presumably having your other hand doing something else, like carrying a bag or driving (don't!!). With the iPad Mini, what they're stressing is that unlike the bigger ipad, it's confortable to HOLD... HHHOOOOLLLLLDDDDD this iPad with one hand and type on it or whatever with the other, making it more portable than the big iPad that you usually want to support with both hands or prop up on something. This is obvious. Only Apple-bashing Android fans are pretending that Apple is saying you can use the iPad Mini with one hand.

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008
Most tech reporters are apple users. Quite the logical dilemma we find ourselves in.

Hows that? Most tech reporters may have a preference towards Apple products but are also open minded towards other brands and product sizes. I'm not seeing any of the non-Apple centric journalists claiming a single size phone or tablet is the optimal one-handed size. They're calling out their hand size to indicate that the Mini may not be as gripable for everyone as it is in their review photos.

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008
This is willful misinterpretation. It's pretty clear that when it comes to the phones, Apple's desire is to make a phone that you can fully operate with one hand while presumably having your other hand doing something else, like carrying a bag or driving (don't!!). With the iPad Mini, what they're stressing is that unlike the bigger ipad, it's confortable to HOLD... HHHOOOOLLLLLDDDDD this iPad with one hand and type on it or whatever with the other, making it more portable than the big iPad that you usually want to support with both hands or prop up on something. This is obvious. Only Apple-bashing Android fans are pretending that Apple is saying you can use the iPad Mini with one hand.
Speaking of willful misinterpretation, where did I say the iPad Mini is meant to be USED with only one hand? Apple is defining these as "one-handed" devices in their keynote and marketing, not me (Apple marketing frequently shows smaller hands when advertising the iPhone but the hand carrying the iPad looks like its connected to a 6'4" wrestler). So going straight to the "Android Fan" nonsense is pathetic.

I've got two iPad Minis on its way and I will easily be able to carry a Mini with one hand but my wife likely wont. And thats why there is an importance for a reviewer to indicate that "I have gigantic hands so these photos may not be accurate for everyone else".

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-10-31 at 5.28.43 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2012-10-31 at 5.28.43 AM.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 122

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA

One can be used with one hand the other can be held with one hand.

VFC

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2012
SE PA.
One can be used with one hand the other can be held with one hand.

I can hold my iPad3 with one hand if I attach a handle to the back.....

The iPad mini ads should show it fitting in a pocket or purse; that's the most common reason people want a small tablet. However, I think it's too large for a pocket (my Nexus 7 just barely fits in my coat and cargo pants pockets), so maybe Apple doesn't want to draw attention to that miscalculation.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008

holding != operating. As clearly shown in their image.

Spungoflex

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 30, 2012
Hows that?

Because most of them use apple products, making them "apple users" by definition.

They're calling out their hand size to indicate that the Mini may not be as gripable for everyone as it is in their review photos.

No they're not. A review I read specifically mentioned the reviewer's "large" hands because he wanted to make the point that navigation on the ipad mini with hands as masculine and "large" and manly and macho as his was no problem at all.

Of course, if one were to actually measure the hands of these tech geeks, I'm sure they would most likely be far smaller than the hands of the average male.

VFC

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2012
SE PA.
My Macintosh SE30 and first-gen iMac both had handles. I don't understand your point.

The point is I don't understand Apple's strategy for the size of the mini; too big for pants/coat pockets but not so big that a person with normal to large hands can hold it with one hand?

The latter is no strategy as larger tablets can be fitted with cases that have holding straps for holding with one hand. Plus if you install any type of cover on the mini (that doesn't have a holding strap), only people with large hands can hold it with one hand.

Spungoflex

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 30, 2012
The point is I don't understand Apple's strategy for the size of the mini; too big for pants/coat pockets but not so big that a person with normal to large hands can hold it with one hand?

The latter is no strategy as larger tablets can be fitted with cases that have holding straps for holding with one hand. Plus if you install any type of cover on the mini (that doesn't have a holding strap), only people with large hands can hold it with one hand.

All this 1 hand vs. 2 hands stuff is fairly irrelevant. Weight is the real issue, as far as I'm concerned and the mini is supposed to be feather light.

I found the ipad 3 to be too cumbersome.

RenoG

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2010
Forgive me as I employ an unwarranted and likely unfair cultural stereotype... they're computer geeks, and thus are probably mostly fat guys with big fat hands.

This ^^^^
and its all that needed to be said, as this pictures half my IT department at my job.....moving on now to another thread.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.