Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dauber

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 10, 2012
Chicago
I just did a fresh install of Mojave (10.14.2) on my MacBook Pro.

Every time I execute a CD command, whether it's successful or not, i get this:

-bash: .: /Users/Dauber: is a directory

Weird thing is...there's no such directory...my "Users" directory consists of "Dauber 1", "Shared", "dauber", and "macports"...

But all I care is...how do I get rid of that "is a directory" thing that happens any time I "cd"???

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
I just did a fresh install of Mojave (10.14.2) on my MacBook Pro.

Every time I execute a CD command, whether it's successful or not, i get this:

-bash: .: /Users/Dauber: is a directory

Weird thing is...there's no such directory...my "Users" directory consists of "Dauber 1", "Shared", "dauber", and "macports"...

But all I care is...how do I get rid of that "is a directory" thing that happens any time I "cd"???
What are you typing, exactly?

dauber

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 10, 2012
Chicago
(I take it back - on a failure, it tells me the directory doesn't exist)
Screen Shot 2018-12-26 at 10.27.12 PM.jpg

Darth.Titan

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
Austin, TX
Have you made any changes to your .bashrc or .bash_profile?

I see you mentioned macports, is there a typo where you updated your path?

Do you see the error on any other terminal commands?

Reactions: neliason

dauber

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 10, 2012
Chicago
I just checkdd both .bashrc and .bash_profile. Doesn't appear to be any typos. I manually ls'ed everything that was being assigned to PATH and all worked. (I haven't actually made any changes myself since "upgrading" to Mojave.)

I do get that message whenever I open up a new terminal window or tab though, three times:

Screen Shot 2018-12-30 at 9.19.24 AM.jpg

dauber

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 10, 2012
Chicago
Attached is the result of...
Code:
echo $PATH > dauber_path.txt

Attachments

• dauber_path.txt
    395 bytes · Views: 172

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Attached is the result of...
Code:
echo $PATH > dauber_path.txt
You need escape characters on your home directory path, which for some reason has a space.
Code:
/Users/Dauber\ 1/
This assumes your home folder really is /Users/Dauber 1, of course. Personally, I'd move my home folder back to being /Users/Dauber.

Reactions: chabig

dauber

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 10, 2012
Chicago
That really is my home folder. For some reason, when I bought this MacBook Pro, that's what the system decided to call that folder when I imported my last backup. And renaming the home directory would basically screw up my entire system. Tried it this time, and...well, it's about the first good thing that went well with the Mojave upgrade. (Now if I could just fix the issue of my battery draining in three hours. A test downgrade to High Sierra fixed the issue. Clean install with Mojave? Nope. Battery drains.)

Last edited:

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
Then you just need to edit your $PATH variable and replace every instance of “Dauber 1” with Dauber\ 1”.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.