Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
Totally unreasonable to expect lifetime support for a product.

Totally unreasonable to expect software updates on a phone or computer once it is 5 years old.
How is 10 years of security support for the iPhone X seen as lifetime or 5 years unreasonable? You even contradicted your own statement. The iPhone 6s launched in 2015 and received 7 years of iOS updates and even got security updates as recent as 15.7.1 which makes that 8 years. Considering the iPhone X is an even more powerful smartphone, there is no reason why it can’t.

I wouldn’t expect a iPhone 5s to still be getting updates. But this is the same company that described the A7 as desktop class performance. Considering the pace of innovation has slowed down and users are keeping their phones longer, there is no reason to provide baseline security updates for phones for longer. It’s healthier for the environment, better for Apples own business since that device could be serviced with a new battery, revenue for services such as iCloud, Apple TV+.

Apple will have to anyway, because people ‘are’ keeping their devices longer.

monstermash

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2020
How is 10 years of security support for the iPhone X seen as lifetime or 5 years unreasonable?

I don't think the price paid merits support more than 5 years.

You even contradicted your own statement. The iPhone 6s launched in 2015 and received 7 years of iOS updates and even got security updates as recent as 15.7.1 which makes that 8 years.
I didn't say anything that contradicts that.

Considering the iPhone X is an even more powerful smartphone, there is no reason why it can’t.
I didn't say it's not POSSIBLE. I said it's not a reasonable expectation by the consumer.

I wouldn’t expect a iPhone 5s to still be getting updates. But this is the same company that described the A7 as desktop class performance. Considering the pace of innovation has slowed down and users are keeping their phones longer, there is no reason to provide baseline security updates for phones for longer.

It’s healthier for the environment, better for Apples own business since that device could be serviced with a new battery, revenue for services such as iCloud, Apple TV+.

Apple will have to anyway, because people ‘are’ keeping their devices longer.
Ok....

Personally, I think Apple already gives above and beyond supporting its devices, blowing away its competitors, and there zero room to complain about it.

I think that if 10 years of support is expected, then twice the price should also be expected.

Last edited:
Reactions: G5isAlive

the future

macrumors 68040
Jul 17, 2002
The iPhone X will be the perfect example of planned obselesence when they finally drop support. Apple could keep supporting all these phones with new versions of iOS minus whatever new features need more memory, faster GPU.

You know what would happen if this was somehow implemented (say, via a new law)? You would pay for it in advance when you buy the device. Because supporting a myriad of old(er) devices is not cost-free for Apple (or any vendor). So be careful what you wish for. Also, you‘re already in the ecosystem with the longest lasting, longest supported computer devices. Maybe you just don‘t realize that.

I really wish that Microsoft hadn't left the consumer space. (…) Like for every single device Apple offers, MS at one point or another had an answer for it, and 9 times out of 10 it was better than the Apple version.

If only this was meant as some form of sophisticated sarcasm …

BellSystem

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2022
Boston, MA
Apple is just coasting along. Better times were when they were forced to be better because they were going broke. Now people buy iPhone every year to be cooler than everyone else. Until they have to do better, they won't. The software quality alone has gone down in recent years quiet a bit.

monstermash

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2020
You know what would happen if this was somehow implemented (say, via a new law)? You would pay for it in advance when you buy the device. Because supporting a myriad of old(er) devices is not cost-free for Apple (or any vendor). So be careful what you wish for. Also, you‘re already in the ecosystem with the longest lasting, longest supported computer devices. Maybe you just don‘t realize that.

If only this was meant as some form of sophisticated sarcasm …
People will complain about anything. Doubly so when they don't realize how good they already have it.

I bet that if Apple offered an optional 10 year support contract for $500, the people whining for 10 year support wouldn't buy it.

Last edited:

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
I don't think the price paid merits support more than 5 years.

I didn't say anything that contradicts that.

I didn't say it's not POSSIBLE. I said it's not a reasonable expectation by the consumer.

Ok....

Personally, I think Apple already gives above and beyond supporting its devices, blowing away its competitors, and there zero room to complain about it.

I think that if 10 years of support is expected, then twice the price should also be expected.
twice the price because you support it for 10 years? It’s not like the A11 is any different from a A16 Bionic, it’s the same lineage as the A4 from which all present day iOS devices are derived. The only reason Apple even dropped support for iPhone 7 is due to RAM. The same Xcode dev tools that codes features for iOS 15 on an iPhone 13 is the same one for iPhone 7 or 6s running iOS 15.

So, I certainly don’t agree with that at all. Look at the fact that third party devs are able to get Ventura to run on 2012 Macs (10 years ago) and they continue to work just as good as a 2017 Intel MacBook Pro that is officially supported by Apple.

Even Ars Technica’s review concluded there was absolutely no technical reason except for an artificial one why Apple dropped Ventura support for 2015 and 2016 Macs. Kaby lake is not that different from Skylake.

Apple is just trying to force new purchases. Look at the mea culpa with iPadOS 16 eventually supporting iPads older than M1 with stage manager? They did the same with Monterey and because of the complaints they brought features they were making exclusive to Apple Silicon also available on Intel. That came at no cost to them or user.

Reactions: pdoherty

pdoherty

macrumors 65816
Dec 30, 2014
Oh, yes....the Amiga argument. "It was way better than anything else, yet miraculously, consumers were just too dumb to realize it and it failed in the market."

Give me a break.
Well... the Amiga *was* superior to both Macs and PCs. It took Windows 8 years after the Amiga to get pre-emptive multitasking (in Windows NT) and 16 years for Macs to get it in OS X. The Amiga was way ahead of its time. The Amiga's only issues were that it wasn't focused on productivity (all those apps were on PC - Lotus 123, WordPerfect, etc) and that it was only purchased by Commodore, not designed by them, so they really had no idea what to do with it to keep it viable as PCs/Macs eventually caught up in graphics and sound, making the Amiga irrelevant.

monstermash

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2020
Well... the Amiga *was* superior to both Macs and PCs. It took Windows 8 years after the Amiga to get pre-emptive multitasking (in Windows NT) and 16 years for Macs to get it in OS X. The Amiga was way ahead of its time. The Amiga's only issues were that it wasn't focused on productivity (all those apps were on PC - Lotus 123, WordPerfect, etc) and that it was only purchased by Commodore, not designed by them, so they really had no idea what to do with it to keep it viable as PCs/Macs eventually caught up in graphics and sound, making the Amiga irrelevant.
Yeah yeah yeah. Same old story. Better, but failure in the marketplace. Too bad, so sad.

Adios, Amigos (;

Jack_SB

macrumors member
Apr 12, 2020
Why “underwhelmed” though?
Would you prefer to have an obsolete device every year or so? Personally I’m really happy that even after years I don’t miss anything from “the latest and greatest” and I have great devices that work just as good if not better than the day I got them.

monstermash

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2020
Why “underwhelmed” though?
Would you prefer to have an obsolete device every year or so? Personally I’m really happy that even after years I don’t miss anything from “the latest and greatest” and I have great devices that work just as good if not better than the day I got them.
Exactly. I mean, how different can a phone be from year to year?

Reactions: Jack_SB

Jack_SB

macrumors member
Apr 12, 2020
Exactly. I mean, how different can a phone be from year to year?
Yup. Also what matters to “you” with every update. A bit faster, a bit better camera, some new exclusive features etc.
If I’m happy with my fast device, my good camera, my good battery life, why should I care for something that’s a bit faster/better?
I will enjoy the sum of all these incremental updates when the time comes and my device can’t keep up with my usage and I need an upgrade.

SpotOnT

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2016
If most people were to buy Apple products only when they need it Apple would not be worth 2.3 Trillion.

I actually think that is what most people do….

If you look at average times people keep their iPhones, Macs, iPad etc. before upgrading, it does suggest most people are only upgrading when they have too.

Sure there are tech geeks that pour money into Apple as a hobby, and influencers who need the latest product for that status symbol, but they aren’t making Apple that 2.3 trillion. They are but a small small small minority.

monstermash

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2020
Yup. Also what matters to “you” with every update. A bit faster, a bit better camera, some new exclusive features etc.
If I’m happy with my fast device, my good camera, my good battery life, why should I care for something that’s a bit faster/better?
I will enjoy the sum of all these incremental updates when the time comes and my device can’t keep up with my usage and I need an upgrade.
Honestly, ALL Apple had to do to make the 14 better than the 13 and make it attractive enough to upgrade from my XS, was give it USB-3. That's it! It didn't need a faster processor, better camera, notch replacement, or anything else. USB-C, that's all.

But no, it gave it a bunch of crap I couldn't care less about, didn't give it the one thing I wanted, and took away one thing I needed. Great job Apple.

mansplains

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2021
Now they just slap an oversized and elongated rectangular tablet on the dash and call it a day.
While I agree with your post in its entirety, it's nice to have some of the safety features as a just-in-case. But as far as this point in particular, 100%. I think the new carplay may change this least-effort nonsense, but who knows. I hate the head unit in my car, and looking back, I wish I had bought an older car with less electronics. Although I really like the idea of new carplay, the customization and ability to show controls you actually want to see... We'll have to see it in the flesh to say.

Tyler O'Bannon

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2019
I’m happy to see all the colors that have returned over the past couple of years.

iMacs, iPad airs, iPad 10th Gen, and phones make the sales floor very colorful compared to a few years back when gold was the non silver or space grey color.

monstermash

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2020
While I agree with your post in its entirety, it's nice to have some of the safety features as a just-in-case. But as far as this point in particular, 100%. I think the new carplay may change this least-effort nonsense, but who knows. I hate the head unit in my car, and looking back, I wish I had bought an older car with less electronics. Although I really like the idea of new carplay, the customization and ability to show controls you actually want to see... We'll have to see it in the flesh to say.
I would pay extra for a car that didn't have most of the crap that they put in a car these days.

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022
Man it's incredible how throughout the entire month the whole forum's been having an existential crisis with all the bad news and the horrible iPad lineup.

See this is why the only thing I care about is the Mac and macOS, specifically the Apple Silicon Macs. Although I got a soft spot for the Apple Watch, and really want to get an Apple Watch Ultra.

Warped9

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2018
Brockville, Ontario.
Over the years there are some things worthy seeing in cars.
- Anti-lock breaking as standard.
- Cars not rusting on the ground soon after you take delivery.
- Overall better ride and handling.
- Fuel injection.
- Better materials and overall better construction.
- Computer management of engine (in hand with fuel injection).
- Overall improved fuel economy.
- Rear-view camera for large vehicles and for those people (like seniors) having difficulty to look behind them.

Things I have come to loathe in modern cars.
- Multi driving modes which translates to unnecessary complexity. Properly setup and tuned engines, transmissions, steering and suspensions don’t require all that garbage.
- Unnecessarily (and ugly) complex digital displays making simple functions complicated. Climate control functions are no longer simple and straightforward. Listening to music is a hassle.
- Customizable displays are also ridiculously stupid. It’s a CAR, not a video game.

ndouglas

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2022

I also like the feel of their products. I feel like I’m holding something substantial in my hands, compared to most other mainstream devices which are all plastic and feel easily disposable.
Agree with this a lot... also to me it’s not always that Apple products are so flawless or great quality, sometimes yes others no, but that the vast majority of other companies’ quality is so much worse. Obviously one can find some exceptions here and there but for computers, tablets, phones, etc. it’s rare to find similar quality products to most of Apple stuff.

ndouglas

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2022
…don't need to always have the latest and just use what I have until it just no longer meets a specific need and replace it if I must. Maybe I am just not as excited about technology as I use to be.
Yes that sounds like ——^ it’s true for you currently. Nothing wrong with that, there are plenty of other things to be excited about! IMHO :D

MayaUser

macrumors 68030
Nov 22, 2021
After i visit the Samsung store i leave in panic because of how delicate the devices are compared to Apple's
Rock solid devices compared to paper devices that i never felt before , even in the nokia 3310 era..those were solid devices too that you could count on

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Going into an Apple Store is and always has been horrendous. They are just chaotic and packed full of people trying to play on all the devices at once. It’s one of those shops I walk past, look through their huge windows and be thankful I have no need to go in. The only time I visit one is for a question I have about a problem with a device and that’s very rare.

Rainshadow

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2017
I don’t know. I’m glad you’re happy with the longevity of your products. That’s why I buy apple products - longevity - not to buy yearly. But at the same time, I think you’re being a bit dismissive. Sure, you don’t NEED this or that. But these personal products can’t always convince you with ads, spec sheets, or even design.

Where I get sold is when I use a device or in this case, upgrade. Yes, you don’t need the new stuff. It doesn’t do stuff much better, but when you try a new device (oled iPad Pro, 36 hour battery life on the ultra, better cameras…) you quickly don’t want to lose it - in my experience.

I can’t use my wife’s 9.7” non promotion display. I won’t. I wouldn’t return to a standard 18 hour battery life watch. I have an iPhone 11Pro and look forward to upgrading next year as I’ve tried the new devices and the cameras are objectively better in almost every way.

Sure. You may not be wowed. But that’s a measure of your contented-ness of what you have (which is admirable) but not really a measure of the advancements in the tech.

Warped9

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2018
Brockville, Ontario.
Going into an Apple Store is and always has been horrendous. They are just chaotic and packed full of people trying to play on all the devices at once. It’s one of those shops I walk past, look through their huge windows and be thankful I have no need to go in. The only time I visit one is for a question I have about a problem with a device and that’s very rare.
Although I’m somewhat curious I have never been or have any compelling wish to visit an Apple store. The closest one to me is an hour’s drive away.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.