Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AdamBuker

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2018
Same person did not complain about the 2023 lacking i9 or 4090.

Why would a composer like Neil Parfitt (the guy in the video) need extensive graphics or cpu performance? It's obvious that he needs massive amounts of RAM to hold orchestral sample libraries, but having better/expandable graphics offers no benefit here.

Longplays

Suspended
May 30, 2023
Why would a composer like Neil Parfitt (the guy in the video) need extensive graphics or cpu performance? It's obvious that he needs massive amounts of RAM to hold orchestral sample libraries, but having better/expandable graphics offers no benefit here.
That's what minority of Mac Pro users are bringing up... "no i9", "no 4090" = sucks/no buy

Like... it isn't even in the use case of Mac Pro target users.

• Angry
Reactions: Shirasaki

AdamBuker

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2018
What if you have 8TB of SSD, can't that be fast and large enough as a swap drive to handle whatever the previous Mac Pro was handling with 1TB of RAM? Honest question.

I just watched Tyler Stalman's review of the Mac Studio and the first thing he showed was the internal SSD performance. If the SSD performance is similar for the Mac Pro, then you would get about 7600-7800 MB per second read/write speeds. The memory bandwidth of the M2 Ultra is 800 GB/second. If I make the units equivalent that gives us 7.6 GB/second disk speed as opposed to 800 GB/second RAM speed.

TLDR: RAM is roughly 100x faster than disk swap.

Longplays

Suspended
May 30, 2023
I just watched Tyler Stalman's review of the Mac Studio and the first thing he showed was the internal SSD performance. If the SSD performance is similar for the Mac Pro, then you would get about 7600-7800 MB per second read/write speeds. The memory bandwidth of the M2 Ultra is 800 GB/second. If I make the units equivalent that gives us 7.6 GB/second disk speed as opposed to 800 GB/second RAM speed.

It is likely the failed to launch M2 Extreme would have a memory bandwidth of 1,600GB/s.

Making it a tad more than 200x faster.

m1maverick

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2020
If Apple did not fail with the M2 Extreme they'd have 384GB by now... and people will still complain about that.
And they would be right to do so if they had memory requirements that exceeded 384GB. You see, in workstation class systems these days, the ability to add 1TB of memory isn't unusual. It was even possible with the Mac Pro until last Tuesday. Since Tuesday Mac Pro users will have to do with 1/8th of that amount.

Longplays

Suspended
May 30, 2023
And they would be right to do so if they had memory requirements that exceeded 384GB. You see, in workstation class systems these days, the ability to add 1TB of memory isn't unusual. It was even possible with the Mac Pro until last Tuesday. Since Tuesday Mac Pro users will have to do with 1/8th of that amount.
I agree that there is demand for RAM surpassing 384GB or even 1.5TB but the use case for ever higher RAM becomes fewer and fewer as you go up the ladder.

So long as Apple is able to serve 80% or more of the RAM requirements with the M2 Ultra then it is OK from a business stand point.

Until a time where in a future Ultra/Extreme is able to deliver 1.5TB or more then the Mac Pro user either holds out with the 2019 or just move AMD/Intel.

m1maverick

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2020
I agree that there is demand for RAM surpassing 384GB or even 1.5TB but the use case for ever higher RAM becomes fewer and fewer as you go up the ladder.

Which is completely irrelevant to those who need / desire those larger memory capacities.

So long as Apple is able to serve 80% or more of the RAM requirements with the M2 Ultra then it is OK from a business stand point.

The problem is that until last Tuesday they did serve those other 20%.

Until a time where in a future Ultra/Extreme is able to deliver 1.5TB or more then the Mac Pro user either holds out with the 2019 or just move AMD/Intel.

As long as Apple makes what you want / need it's OK? No one else has the right to be upset about it?

ratspg

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
What if M3 doesn't have the RAM count required for big studios?
Would have to do what the Apple employee demoing the 2019 Mac Pro said you don't need to do anymore with that one... "composers would need to use 2-3 computers to achieve these sample library track counts". Run the main daw template on the M3 and then have 2-3 computers with massive ram counts (PCs usually) on the network handling the library. You can't replace RAM with cpu/gpu and like others mentioned here, using the SSD as a sort of RAM isn't really the best solution.

Longplays

Suspended
May 30, 2023
Which is completely irrelevant to those who need / desire those larger memory capacities.

The problem is that until last Tuesday they did serve those other 20%.

As long as Apple makes what you want / need it's OK? No one else has the right to be upset about it?

Buy/keep the 2019 until RAM aligns or move to AMD/Intel.

“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”. ― John Lydgate

impulse462

macrumors 68020
Jun 3, 2009
It boggles the mind that the apple aplogists cant seem to understand with the mac pro 2019 you could customize your computer based on your needs...what is so difficult to understand about that?

if you're like the composer previously mentioned, you dont buy an expensive GPU and spend money on RAM. If you want to do AI/ML or 3D work you spend money on a GPU and can install a different operating system.

With the 2023 mac pro you literaly cannot to do either of those. its 0/2 for these common workloads for the type of person buying this computer. the new computer has LESS functionality than the old version with 2 real world examples. how is that hard to understand?? how is it hard to understand people being upset that a new more expensive computer does LESS than the old model?

how is "go buy another vendors computer" an acceptable answer if previous versions of the computer could do more? take off your apple fanboy hat for once and try to answer that question.

canadianreader

macrumors 65816
Sep 24, 2014
I feel similarly - except I could use 10,000 GPU cores. The problem with their current design is that the capability of the CPU, GPU and amount of RAM are all linked. You'd like a huge amount of RAM, I'd like more GPU for 3D rendering without needing loads more CPU… I think Apple will have to become more flexible in their offering…
It's the unified approach, they don't want you inside their machines. Wanna upgrade ? buy a new machine just like iPhones and iPads. The hypocrite environmentalists don't mind these machines ending up in landfills.

apparatchik

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2008

Yeah but how does it compare to the previous Mac Pro, maybe the current storage is fast enough to pull it off, for the use cases mentioned in this thread, as they seem to entail audio layers. What I’m trying to get at is real world performance compared to the Intel offering.

m1maverick

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2020
It boggles the mind that the apple aplogists cant seem to understand with the mac pro 2019 you could customize your computer based on your needs...what is so difficult to understand about that?

if you're like the composer previously mentioned, you dont buy an expensive GPU and spend money on RAM. If you want to do AI/ML or 3D work you spend money on a GPU and can install a different operating system.

With the 2023 mac pro you literaly cannot to do either of those. its 0/2 for these common workloads for the type of person buying this computer. the new computer has LESS functionality than the old version with 2 real world examples. how is that hard to understand?? how is it hard to understand people being upset that a new more expensive computer does LESS than the old model?

how is "go buy another vendors computer" an acceptable answer if previous versions of the computer could do more? take off your apple fanboy hat for once and try to answer that question.
Exactly. My virtualization system needs CPU and memory but not GPU. That's why it has a low end GPU.

m1maverick

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2020
Yeah but how does it compare to the previous Mac Pro, maybe the current storage is fast enough to pull it off, for the use cases mentioned in this thread, as they seem to entail audio layers. What I’m trying to get at is real world performance compared to the Intel offering.

Paging is no substitute for RAM. The only ones who feel this way are people who make apologies for low RAM capacities. I've seen it over and over and over again in the 8GB versus 16GB RAM "discussions".

Longplays

Suspended
May 30, 2023
I am disappointed that a iMac 27" 5K M2 Pro is not available for sale. I am hopeful one will appear 2-4 months from now.

For a product line that likely ships approx 75,000 units annually I am unsurprised that Apple lengthens refresh cycle by by 3.5-7 years.

So a M2 Ultra of it signals that Apple may sync the refresh the Studio with the Pro. Which is a good thing for any Mac Pro user.

Last edited by a moderator:

impulse462

macrumors 68020
Jun 3, 2009
Paging is no substitute for RAM. The only ones who feel this way are people who make apologies for low RAM capacities. I've seen it over and over and over again in the 8GB versus 16GB RAM "discussions".
LMAO yes agree completely. Theyll make so many excuses for low RAM just because apple did and because "80% of people won't notice". for macbook air users maybe...but not someone spending this much on a computer

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022
Would have to do what the Apple employee demoing the 2019 Mac Pro said you don't need to do anymore with that one... "composers would need to use 2-3 computers to achieve these sample library track counts". Run the main daw template on the M3 and then have 2-3 computers with massive ram counts (PCs usually) on the network handling the library. You can't replace RAM with cpu/gpu and like others mentioned here, using the SSD as a sort of RAM isn't really the best solution.

You think studios could do Mac Studio server setups in the future? Since they're smaller they're easily rack mountable with some BlackMagic boxes.

rackmount-mac-studio-myelectronics.jpeg

mac-studio-rack-mount-19-inch.jpg

1468.png

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022
I get it, no RAM expansion is awful, and is gonna be the killing blow to the Mac Pro going forward. No GPU expansion also sucks. Is it the end of the world? Not really since you still have the 2019 Mac Pro, and by the time it'll be time to upgrade hopefully M3 will have the RAM configs you need

But unfortunately it's time to swallow a hard pill: Apple doesn't care about the high end pro market anymore. It's not profitable like it used to be. Graphics professionals have moved on to Nvidia workstations. Hell the only reason this Mac Pro exists is so there's something to put BlackMagic cards in for their Apple Fellows in Disney. The Mac Pro is a niche compared to the much more cheaper and profitable Mac Studio.

I know that's not what you wanna hear, you love your Mac Pro, but unfortunately that's the direction Apple's going in.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.