Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JAZJB

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 16, 2014
After owning every single iPhone model made (except the 5c, that was just a joke), the XS Max is the BEST iPHONE I HAVE EVER HAD! It’s one of those products that has the things you want from different devices all rolled into one! I can’t remember ever being so satisfied, so HAPPY with a phone! Is anyone else feeling like this!?

1. BATTERY LIFE: Beats the 8 Plus, which is saying something! I currently have almost 8 hours of screen time and 7.5 hrs standby, and my battery is at 51%! What!! I cannot kill this battery!

2. CAMERA: as good as the Pixel 2 XL! How!? I can finally take low-light pictures that look GREAT, and daytime shots are as good as my pro camera Sony A7RIII. How?

3. SCREEN: Even better than the iPhone X for color calibration. Unless you have a defective phone, the color saturation IMO is better than any other iPhone made, and even beats the Note 9 (also saying something bc Samsung finally got it right this year!)

4. SIZE: Slightly smaller than the 8 Plus but it’s all screen, yet it doesn’t FEEL big because I can still use it one-handed, which literally makes it the PERFECT size phone for me!

5. SPEED: I’m speechless on this one. Aside from a few weird freezes I’ve had, I don’t know how to describe how fast the XS Max is... It so precisely matches everything I do, that I don’t even think about how fast everything is happening. My phone no longer gets in my way.... Does that make sense?

Damn, I am so happy!!

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I absolutely love my Max also. This is the phone I wanted last year when the X came out. That big screen rocks and it’s fast. Also Face ID is way faster than on my X.
I’m wondering just how much better Face ID can get as ios12 already made big improvements to Face ID. It now works when I’m lying down in bed!

Reactions: 5105973 and JAZJB

JAZJB

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 16, 2014
I absolutely love my Max also. This is the phone I wanted last year when the X came out. That big screen rocks and it’s fast. Also Face ID is way faster than on my X.

I agree! I also feel like they did a bait-and-switch on Plus users last year, as they marketed the X as the Plus size, when it’s basically the regular sized iPhone. And yes, Face ID is faster and works MUCH better at different angles, too. I don’t have to stick my face right in front of my phone anymore! Good stuff!

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I’m wondering just how much better Face ID can get as ios12 already made big improvements to Face ID. It now works when I’m lying down in bed!

The only thing I can think of, is if they actually increase the sensor size or change something where it unlocks in multiple angles for the user, let’s just merely a thought. But, you have some who claim it will unlock for them in multiple angles and others it will not, so its already variable.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

JAZJB

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 16, 2014
8 hours of screen time at 51% is extremely hard to believe. I’m not calling you a liar, but you’re either reading it wrong or something is up.

I know, it’s ridiculous, that’s one of the reasons I started this post! Maybe I’m reading it wrong, so here’s a screenshot of my battery stats, I was at 38% when I took it.

F8A4E91D-EE17-4403-8032-057A2A4576A1.png

[doublepost=1538038153][/doublepost]
Doubt you have 8 hours screen on time. Apples retarded and reports your screen on time based on the last 24 hours not from unplugging at 100%

I posted my battery stats, I charged my phone almost 12 hours ago and have been on it for most of that time.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

scotsmandc

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2015
I know, it’s ridiculous, that’s one of the reasons I started this post! Maybe I’m reading it wrong, so here’s a screenshot of my battery stats, I was at 38% when I took it.

View attachment 789483
[doublepost=1538038153][/doublepost]

I posted my battery stats, I charged my phone almost 12 hours ago and have been on it for most of that time.

I can't even read it properly myself. I think to get an accurate reading from that is to literally click on each bar and add up the screen on time from when you unplugged.

Vermifuge

macrumors 68020
Mar 7, 2009
I can't even read it properly myself. I think to get an accurate reading from that is to literally click on each bar and add up the screen on time from when you unplugged.

Why do the extra work? All the dark blue lines are "Screen on" and the total is in the lower left. All the Light blue lines are "Screen Off" and the total is in the lower right. Each or is broken down by CPU usage with the % of screen on and off time.

For example at 7:00 PM there was hardly any usage at all. At Noon the CPU was bing heavily used in the background with the screen off. at 9:00 PM the CPU was bing used with the screen on.

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
Glad you guys are loving your phones and didn’t get ones with the connectivity issues. My X was returned when a restore didn’t fix the problem. I loved everything about the Max, except it didn’t work well as a phone. I’ll buy another when they get this issue sorted out and fixed.

JAZJB

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 16, 2014
Glad you guys are loving your phones and didn’t get ones with the connectivity issues. My X was returned when a restore didn’t fix the problem. I loved everything about the Max, except it didn’t work well as a phone. I’ll buy another when they get this issue sorted out and fixed.

Sorry to hear that! It sucks to get a dud, you didn’t think about exchanging it? I would’ve tried a replacement to see if the issue persisted.

Liquid360

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2017
I upgraded to the MAX from an X... definitely an evolution, not exciting because the X was revolutionary. I’m in no way saying that the MAX isn’t the best iPhone ever, because it is. I’m just saying other than size, it’s not exciting. I love it though.

Vermifuge

macrumors 68020
Mar 7, 2009
I upgraded to the MAX from an X... definitely an evolution, not exciting because the X was revolutionary. I’m in no way saying that the MAX isn’t the best iPhone ever, because it is. I’m just saying other than size, it’s not exciting. I love it though.

The camera is more than just incrementally better. Even though i was primarily interested in the larger screen, the camera has really made it worth it to me.

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
Sorry to hear that! It sucks to get a dud, you didn’t think about exchanging it? I would’ve tried a replacement to see if the issue persisted.
They didn’t have any stock in the store. And they also starting discussing remanufactured phones and possible software updates. So without any clear explanation or expectation, I didn’t want to chance another dud. As I still had my 6S Plus, I figured it was easier to trying again later when the odds might be more in my favor.

Reactions: Wide opeN and JAZJB

scotsmandc

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2015
Why do the extra work? All the dark blue lines are "Screen on" and the total is in the lower left. All the Light blue lines are "Screen Off" and the total is in the lower right. Each or is broken down by CPU usage with the % of screen on and off time.

For example at 7:00 PM there was hardly any usage at all. At Noon the CPU was bing heavily used in the background with the screen off. at 9:00 PM the CPU was bing used with the screen on.

The issue is getting the total screen on time from the time you unplug. Where do you see that?

UKapple73

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2014
Yep a lot of that usage is when he’s still plugged in lol
But it is a great phone, I’m loving mine and I came from a 7 plus. It’s way better in almost every way

Reactions: Orangeman13

guesswho183

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2018
@Thu 4:44 PM it will be 24 hours from unplugging and then you'll see real screen on/off times...if this statistics works well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.