Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
News is coming out that EVGA is abandoning the GPU market

GamerNexus and Jayz2cents already have videos posted. I'm not for or against EVGA, though they have a good reputation. This will invariably hurt the consumer as it means less choice. Both GamerNexus and Jayz2cents highlighted the pricing of the Founder's edition 3090 priced at 1,099 and a comparable 3090 EVGA card for 1,399. Clearly Nvidia has the advantage.

Ars Technica

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
News is coming out that EVGA is abandoning the GPU market

GamerNexus and Jayz2cents already have videos posted. I'm not for or against EVGA, though they have a good reputation. This will invariably hurt the consumer as it means less choice. Both GamerNexus and Jayz2cents highlighted the pricing of the Founder's edition 3090 priced at 1,099 and a comparable 3090 EVGA card for 1,399. Clearly Nvidia has the advantage.

Ars Technica

Aren’t founders edition cards normally less than other brands? Graphics cards are a mess because you could have one card like the 3090 and each company that sells them will bin the chips and one that gets 100 MHz more sells for $300 more. I don’t me the exact price and MHz but just the concept. I guess that’s business because why saw something for less than you can actually get for it. I’m really shocked EVGA is leaving though because this has to be profitable for them.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
Aren’t founders edition cards normally less than other brands?
My understanding is they have less features, and not really over clockable.

My thought is when you seen a Nvidia branded card for 300 less then an EVGA (or Asus, or MSI), wouldn't most people opt for that? a 3090 is a 3090, and saving that much money may be hard to pass up

From the Ars Technica article

It really shows Nvidia's gross margin vs. nivdia's partners and it puts into perspective why they felt they had no choice

2022-09-16_17-02-23.png

Reactions: russell_314

1BadManVan

macrumors 68040
Dec 20, 2009
Bc Canada
Wow, i thought Evga was one of the bigger gpu brands out there, atleast back when I was building pc’s it was. Definitely wasn’t expecting that news

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
My understanding is they have less features, and not really over clockable.

My thought is when you seen a Nvidia branded card for 300 less then an EVGA (or Asus, or MSI), wouldn't most people opt for that? a 3090 is a 3090, and saving that much money may be hard to pass up

From the Ars Technica article

It really shows Nvidia's gross margin vs. nivdia's partners and it puts into perspective why they felt they had no choice

View attachment 2068095
I think it just depends on the customer. The founders edition cards are louder and I don’t think as overclockable as you said. Some people will pay anything because they want something better. The GPU market with all the scalping going on has been a mess but I think it’s getting back to normal. I was going to build a PC but for 3070 they wanted $800 plus and that’s just crazy. I ended up buying a prebuilt just do not pay more than I felt was fair.

I wonder what EVGA‘s profit margin is for these cards. I can’t believe they’re buying them for what Nvidia sells founders edition cards for. It is kind of weird that the company that’s selling the base card to them is also competition. Graphics cards and power supplies are the only things I know that they sell. Maybe they sell other products?

1BadManVan

macrumors 68040
Dec 20, 2009
Bc Canada
I think it just depends on the customer. The founders edition cards are louder and I don’t think as overclockable as you said. Some people will pay anything because they want something better. The GPU market with all the scalping going on has been a mess but I think it’s getting back to normal. I was going to build a PC but for 3070 they wanted $800 plus and that’s just crazy. I ended up buying a prebuilt just do not pay more than I felt was fair.

I wonder what EVGA‘s profit margin is for these cards. I can’t believe they’re buying them for what Nvidia sells founders edition cards for. It is kind of weird that the company that’s selling the base card to them is also competition. Graphics cards and power supplies are the only things I know that they sell. Maybe they sell other products?
They've been selling motherboards for several years as well

erayser

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2011
San Diego
Pretty much all builds had EVGA gpu's since the GTX 580. Never had issues with them, but when I did... I had great customer service through them, and they are only a few hours away from me. This is pretty sad news... I have a few rigs in my house still running EVGA cards. Crazy to think my EVGA FTW3 RTX 3090 is the last EVGA card I've purchased.

Reactions: GalileoSeven

Random_Matt

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2022
And they will go bust unless they go with AMD. And I'll tell you why, the GPU is the first thing you consider and the rest comes after. Nobody looks at EVGA motherboards, PSU or whatever first. Does not matter if their PSU make 300% profit, nobody will buy them unless they have a GPU from them.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
And they will go bust unless they go with AMD
While I agree with you, given what I read that 80% of EVGA's revenue is through the GPU business, the CEO seemed to make it clear that its not something they're interested in doing. Personally, that seems foolish, but there may be back room deals being negotiated and if word leaked out, then that could impact said negotiations - who knows.

Intel is desperate for an AIB partner, and this could make a lot of sense there too, but Intel seems to keep shooting themselves in the foot with regard to their GPU business

LeeW

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2017
Over here
I love EVGA, never had an issue, well I have but they have always dealt with it promptly. Will be interesting to see where they end up, it's not really that clear where they are going.

GalileoSeven

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2015
Wow. Used an X58 Motherboard and GTX 285 SC in my second build - handled everything I threw at them like a champ.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
What happens if I have 5 year or 10 year warranty ?
Gamer nexus was reporting that if you bought a 10 year warranty "recently" EVGA would refund you. I think they were recommending reaching out to EVGA regardless.

TSE

macrumors 68040
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
What do you mean by that?

While GPUs have been a niche market for awhile, with more cryptocurrencies moving away from GPU mining, and EVGA (a major giant) leaving, I don't particularly see the GPU industry growing or gaining momentum. The fire hasn't occurred and may never occur, but there is smoke.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
While GPUs have been a niche market for awhile, with more cryptocurrencies moving away from GPU mining, and EVGA (a major giant) leaving, I don't particularly see the GPU industry growing or gaining momentum. The fire hasn't occurred and may never occur, but there is smoke.
As far as I can tell EVGA was really only a big deal in North America (I know they had an EU presence but I don't think they sold the majority of Nvidia cards in that market).

I think the enthusiast tier (ultra high end) will contract with these higher prices (lets ignore that the 90 tier of cards isn't really that much more expensive, even though the 80 tier is). Maybe consumer dedicated GPU sales will drop, but I can see datacenter sales picking up the slack.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
While GPUs have been a niche market
I would say the high end GPUs are most certainly niche, but every computer needs a GPU in some form or another. I think the general disgust from so many people over Nvidia's latest move, branding a so called 3070 as a 3080 is telling.

I think AMD is opportunities to grab marketshare from nividia with their November announcement, and I'll probably hold off until then myself.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
I would say the high end GPUs are most certainly niche, but every computer needs a GPU in some form or another. I think the general disgust from so many people over Nvidia's latest move, branding a so called 3070 as a 3080 is telling.

I think AMD is opportunities to grab marketshare from nividia with their November announcement, and I'll probably hold off until then myself.
The Internets is pretty sure AMD isn't going to lower pricing much if at all for their RX7000 series. It is probably a better bet to assume they are going to price N31 about the same as AD102/103. AKA don't be surprised if the RX7900XT is 1200 USD like the (real) 3080 (16GB).

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
The Internets is pretty sure AMD isn't going to lower
I don't think anyone is expecting prices to go down, but rather AMD to take advantage by offering decent GPUs for a decent price.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.