Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Demigod Mac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 25, 2008
My current setup is a MacPro5,1 with a GTX Titan X (6+8 pin). Currently using a 6-to-8 pin adapter for the 8 pin input on the card.

Would I need to pick up another 6-to-8 pin adapter since the EVGA PowerLink has dual 8 pin inputs?

AlexMaximus

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2006
A400M Base
My current setup is a MacPro5,1 with a GTX Titan X (6+8 pin). Currently using a 6-to-8 pin adapter for the 8 pin input on the card.

Would I need to pick up another 6-to-8 pin adapter since the EVGA PowerLink has dual 8 pin inputs?

The EVGA PowerLink has a spare connector inside the box, so it can be configured either in 6 & 8 pin or dual 8 pin with the small imbus key that's included. You should be fine. I used that PowerLink with my old Nvidia 980TI and now with the Vega7 on top of the pixlas mod. I do recommend it fully.

Reactions: orph

Demigod Mac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 25, 2008
That's the power output from the PowerLink to the video card (configurable).
The input though, is two 8 pins. I did go ahead and order another 6-to-8 adapter in any case.

thornslack

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2013
The input does not require two eight pins, just provides two eight pins. Iirc you can just plug in two six pins.

Reactions: MIKX

Demigod Mac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 25, 2008
Got it installed, so far so good. It was really tricky fitting it into the Mac Pro due to the added length onto the video card plus the protruding wires, but I managed to get it in there.

One useful installation tip on JayzTwoCents was to remove both connectors and plug them into the video card separately, then slide them into the rail. Makes it easy to get a perfect fit and seat it flush against the video card.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.