Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ckoerner

macrumors member
Original poster
May 21, 2006
St. Louis, MO
My wife and I recently purchased new iPads with AppleCare. I’ve never had AppleCare on my devices, but the coverage of accidental damage was enticing. Side note: I dropped my first iPad - the lovely iPad 2 - a week after I got it back in 2011. Shattered the whole screen. ? That was expensive to fix.

Now that I have the coverage I’m a little curious. I understand small things like dents and scratches that don’t impact the functionality of the device aren’t covered; and neither are those a big deal for me personally. But what are the limits?

Does anyone have examples of damage to their iPads that was covered under AppleCare?

Reactions: Wackery

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
I realize you're asking for user experiences with iPad accidental damages covered (or not), but thought I'd throw in the Applecare+ legal language as well (bolding mine):

"3.2 Services for Accidental Damage from Handling (“ADH Service”)
If during the Plan Term you submit a valid claim by notifying Apple that the Covered Device has failed due to accidental damage from handling resulting from an unexpected and unintentional external event (such as, drops and damage caused by liquid contact) (“ADH”), Apple will, subject to your payment of the service fee described below, either (i) repair the defect using new or refurbished parts that are equivalent to new in performance and reliability, or (ii) exchange the Covered Device with a replacement product that is new or equivalent to new in performance and reliability."

If in a single accident both the iPad and, say, the Magic Keyboard were damaged, that would count as two ADH incidents (the annual limit).

Reactions: ckoerner

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Now that I have the coverage I’m a little curious. I understand small things like dents and scratches that don’t impact the functionality of the device aren’t covered; and neither are those a big deal for me personally. But what are the limits?

Does anyone have examples of damage to their iPads that was covered under AppleCare?

It covers an iPad that's fallen off the hood of the car and then run over. ???

Royksöpp

macrumors 68020
Nov 4, 2013
I dropped my iPad Air 2 face down onto a tile floor. The screen was destroyed and the body was bent. It was a disaster. I had to put it in a ziplock bag when I sent it out. I thank god I had AppleCare. I had an express replacement in couple of days. It was well worth it.

Reactions: ckoerner

satchmo

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
I'm debating whether or not to purchase Applecare+ for my iPad Air 4. I'm coming up on 60 days and wonder if it's worth it. Of course, the first year warranty doesn't cover accidents, but I'm mostly at home these days with Covid restrictions anyways.

I'm also wondering if most credit cards with extended protection cover accidents?

daddyd302

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2012
West Allis, WI
I'm debating whether or not to purchase Applecare+ for my iPad Air 4. I'm coming up on 60 days and wonder if it's worth it. Of course, the first year warranty doesn't cover accidents, but I'm mostly at home these days with Covid restrictions anyways.

I'm also wondering if most credit cards with extended protection cover accidents?
It's only $69 that you won't regret if something happens to it. It's cheaper than buying a new one or paying to get it repaired if that's even possible. Most CC only cover the warranty not accidents.

Reactions: satchmo

KittyKatta

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2011
SoCal

AC+ for Air is only $69 while Pro is $129 so i feel its justifiable just for accessory coverage. I’ve had to use my AC+ on a Smart Keyboard twice already with my old iPad, and since the Magic Keyboard material feels so cheap then I bought AC+ again on my new iPad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.