Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SirFoxx

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 9, 2012
Galien, Michigan
Phew, its been awhile since I've been here--

About once a year, I will work on my q950 before something catastrophic happens, which usually demotivates me from fixing it for another year. The last time, I just got my q950 and addon cards (supermac graphics, 66mhz ppc pds card, "power pump" overclock card) working fully with a scsi2sd v5.0b, eliminating the need for an old mechanical drive. However, I accidentally scooted my chair too close to the computer (scsi2sd was still sitting on the floor next to the case) and I crunched the microsd card >.<

On to today, I decided to inspect the scsi2sd fully expecting to need to replace it. Luckily, I only crunched the tip of the sd card, and the rest of the adapter was fine. Moving onward, I installed os 7.5.3 using my floppy emu adapter, updated it to 7.5.5, got fetch working with my windows 10 machine, and was trying to mount an .img file. "Insufficient system resources". Huh, odd.... checked ram usage and it said:

"Total Memory: 65,536K; System Software 58,529K; Largest Unused Block: 6,900K.

What..? Why the heck is the system using 58mb of my 64mb of ram? Eh, I'll just fill the other 3 banks with 64mb each. 256mb should be waaaay plenty for the system.

Restarted the system. "System Software: 256,xxxK; Total Memory: 265,xxxK.

So, I tried going back to one bank of ram, tried swapping sticks, swapping banks, reset pram, nothin. I thought maybe my system install may be corrupted, so I booted into a Disk Tools system. Same issue.

Question 1: What would be causing the system to hog all but 4-6mb of ram despite the amount of ram in the system? Anything I should check?

Question 2: Everything on my screen is tinted green. I read that mac's sync on green, and most new-ish monitors dont like that. Is there an adapter I can use to correct this?

SirFoxx

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 9, 2012
Galien, Michigan
Issue with the ram usage solved! Turns out I had 32 bit memory disabled. Enabled it and everything went back to normal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.