Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kove

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 27, 2018
Hello All,

Long time lurker, decided to finally make an account. I recently bought a MacBook 12 as part of the back to school offer. I have my beats here but am currently considering on exchanging the MacBook for a MBP 13 inch. Since the back to school sale has finished, would I need to return the beats also or can you keep the headphones and pay the difference in price in relation to the MacBooks.

Thanks.

Last edited:

ZMacintosh

macrumors 65816
Nov 13, 2008
similar situation, I preferred more RAM then stock. They were able to swap out the systems on the receipt and keep the promo in place. it may have been a few back-end things on their end but they understood. shouldn't be too difficult

Asuriyan

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2013
Indiana
Former Apple Store muppet here. Assuming nothing has changed in the last year or so, if you were returning the computer you would be required to either return the headphones or receive a refund less the price of the headphones. Since you're exchanging, they won't enter into the equation at all.

Reactions: ignatius345

Kove

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 27, 2018
Former Apple Store muppet here. Assuming nothing has changed in the last year or so, if you were returning the computer you would be required to either return the headphones or receive a refund less the price of the headphones. Since you're exchanging, they won't enter into the equation at all.
Unfortunately, after lengthy conversations with support as long as store employees, it was stated that since the promotion is over, I can only exchange the MacBook for a pro if I lose the beats. They cannot uphold the promotion since it would require them to issue a refund before I exchange the model.

Kove

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 27, 2018
hm doesn't sound right, try a different store or manager?
Ive talked to two stores and have called apple support as well as apple care. The main dilemma is that since the promotion is over and I'm looking at an entirely different MacBook (going from MacBook 12 to pro) they need to do a refund before processing the new order. The other option would be for me to pay the difference between the two which Im not sure they can do. Since the promotion is not in the system, I would need to return the beats and when I get the new MacBook, I would not get them back. That is as much as I understand it. I believe that it may have been different when you went there, but I guess that is the policy now.

ZMacintosh

macrumors 65816
Nov 13, 2008
Odd, I was able to exchange an 8gb MacBook Pro for a 16gb model and kept the promotion. They just returned one line item and paid the difference.

Kove

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 27, 2018
Odd, I was able to exchange an 8gb MacBook Pro for a 16gb model and kept the promotion. They just returned one line item and paid the difference.
Was this during the back to school promo or after it ended?

ZMacintosh

macrumors 65816
Nov 13, 2008
A few days after it ended, I did not open any of the products and they didn’t seem to have an issue as it was an in stock item. Took a few extra minutes to make sure their were no other charges or issues but went pretty smooth

Reactions: Kove

Kove

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 27, 2018
A few days after it ended, I did not open any of the products and they didn’t seem to have an issue as it was an in stock item. Took a few extra minutes to make sure their were no other charges or issues but went pretty smooth
Interesting. Maybe you just got lucky as judging from the multiple people I spoke to, this isn't something they do. Im starting to like this MacBook as it is, so its not a big deal anymore :) Thanks for the input.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.