Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Civitales15

Cancelled
Original poster
Feb 24, 2020
I currently have a Macbook Air Mid 2013 and an iPhone 8 Plus.

I am thinking about selling both to get an iPhone XS Max.

I just graduated from college so I tell to myself that I wouldn't use the Macbook anymore and my family lives abroad, so I could greatly profit from the dual-sim feature.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

okieoutwest

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2019
I wouldn't do this. Resale or trade-in value (money you would get) for a MBA from 2013 is very low, and the price (money you would have to pay) to replace its function is very high.

If you want an XS Max, save up some money and sell your 8 Plus.

But I think you'll regret getting rid of a MBA with no computer replacement. iPadOS is a limited substitute for macOS on a laptop; iOS is not a substitute at all.

Now, if you never use the MBA for anything besides YouTube or web browsing or social media, you might be just fine. You'll have to think about what your needs are and decide.

JCCL

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2010
Ill give you the iPhone XS Max but both of them. Seriously tough, I wouldn't do it. At least in my country, your combo iPhone 8 Plus + 2013 Macbook Air is worth at least 30% more than an iPhone XS Max

Reactions: Civitales15

elite953

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2019
Pakistan
i think you better stick with your macbook air. if battery seems to be a problem, go and get it changed. But i dont think its a wise decision to trade it for iphone XS max.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
I currently have a Macbook Air Mid 2013 and an iPhone 8 Plus.

I am thinking about selling both to get an iPhone XS Max.

I just graduated from college so I tell to myself that I wouldn't use the Macbook anymore and my family lives abroad, so I could greatly profit from the dual-sim feature.

Thoughts?
I would at least keep a laptop around.

As for dual SIM, which country are you referring to? Not all carriers support the eSIM on the newer iPhones, so in those situations, you practically just have a single SIM iPhone.

Morrissey

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2018
San Diego, California
Ill give you the iPhone XS Max but both of them. Seriously tough, I wouldn't do it. At least in my country, your combo iPhone 8 Plus + 2013 Macbook Air is worth at least 30% more than an iPhone XS Max
In the US a Macbook Air 2013 used is less than $200 dls, like $150 at most, and an 8 Plus used $250... So is like $450 tops.

jpn

Cancelled
Feb 9, 2003
I am just realizing it is not a good idea. Thank you very much for your opinions.

i think yr idea of trying to go with as mobile of a configuration is a great idea.
i would try it if i were in yr situation.
connect and use the Magic Keyboard to write longish documents.

Reactions: flobach

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
I still have a late 2013 MacBook Air and use it as my travel laptop. Definitely won’t sell it at this stage because the return is so low for the speed and functionality it provides.

Spudlicious

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2015
Bedfordshire, England
i think yr idea of trying to go with as mobile of a configuration is a great idea.
i would try it if i were in yr situation.
connect and use the Magic Keyboard to write longish documents.

I try to respect all views, but the notion of working on a longish document, ie one much longer than "Dear Aunt Mabel thanks for the pies", on a phone screen dismays me.

• Love
Reactions: jpn and Tsepz

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
I try to respect all views, but the notion of working on a longish document, ie one much longer than "Dear Aunt Mabel thanks for the pies", on a phone screen dismays me.

Same here.

I truly enjoy my iPhone but making it the only computing device would be horrible, we are not there yet and I doubt Smartphones will be there until at least 2025.

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
What did you go for in the end? Now that I have finished my uni, I will likely go iPhone only. Check out this thread: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/iphone-as-only-computing-device.2203858/

I wasn’t actually looking to buy anything. It was more of a statement.

Thanks for the link. I’ve already seen that post.

Same here.

I truly enjoy my iPhone but making it the only computing device would be horrible, we are not there yet and I doubt Smartphones will be there until at least 2025.

I think more than anything else, the screen size is the main constraints to be able to do this. But then it won’t be portable if you increase the screen size.

Personally I can not go with just having the phone as my only computer but I can do a lot with it if I have to. Especially when I need to sometimes work when I’m away on holidays etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.