Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

matt3526

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 7, 2011
Hi all,

My iCloud backups have stopped as I do not have enough space any more. I checked and the files app is included in the backup and takes up a humongous amount of space. I would like some of the files/folders to be included in the backup and others to be excluded. Is there a way to do this?

Thanks

jamietshaw

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2009
UK
Not that I know of. Presumably you are backing up your Documents and Desktop folders to iCloud and it is those that are huge? So your answer would be to delete stuff you don’t need or move it to somewhere outside of those locations.

Reactions: 26139

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
Hi all,

My iCloud backups have stopped as I do not have enough space any more. I checked and the files app is included in the backup and takes up a humongous amount of space. I would like some of the files/folders to be included in the backup and others to be excluded. Is there a way to do this?

Thanks

Have a look at this page to see if you can free up some space by turning off Desktop & Documents in the iCloud:

matt3526

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 7, 2011
Sorry all I forgot to mention this is the files app on my iPad. i Have documents in there I’d like to back up, as well as movies that do not need backing up. The movies take up a lot of space.

Baron Thompson

macrumors member
May 8, 2020
No, you can’t exclude specific folders from backup. You could move the movies to be locally on the iPad, such as the download folder.

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
I keep movies on an external drive for my iPad Pro. What about increasing your iCloud storage? It's pretty cheap depending on your budget.

Last edited:

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Could you store the videos in your Videos or TV app or whatever it's called?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.