Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Original poster
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
I think it would be a good idea to exclude users signature info from search or at least have the option to do so.

Signatures often contain a list of the user's equipment and...if you're doing a search for a specific piece of equipment that happens to be in one or more user signatures...your results will include every post that user has made regardless of its pertinence.

Edit: It does. My mistake.

Last edited:

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Signatures should not be included in search results and I'm not seeing them there. For example, if I search on your last name, I don't get every post of yours even though it's in your signature.

Can you share a specific example where you're seeing the issue?

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
I think it would be a good idea to exclude users signature info from search or at least have the option to do so.

Signatures often contain a list of the user's equipment and...if you're doing a search for a specific piece of equipment that happens to be in one or more user signatures...your results will include every post that user has made regardless of its pertinence.

I searched "Baltimore" and came up empty.
IMG_0815.PNG

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.