Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

netsrot39

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 7, 2018
Austria
Hello community,
I'm currently running OSX 10.7.5 and 10.10.5 on my MacBook 4,1. I mainly use Lion since I mostly use my old MacBook for watching movies and tv-series and that is not entirely possible with Yosemite (hacked installation) I have many applications on my Hard Drive that require at least 10.8 or even 10.9. Is there a possibilty to execute those on 10.7.5? I mean when I try to execute those kind of apps I get the message that I need a higher OSX Version. Furthermore the application icon has a circle around and is crossed out. I'm pretty sure there is some kind of hack to eliminate these restrictions (I'm aware that it might not work with every app due to software dependencies)

Maybe someone could help and shed some light on this matter?

Thanks!

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
There is a way to get *some* newer apps to work on Lion. Drag the app you want to your desktop, then right click and select "show package contents". Inside the contents folder is the Info.plist file. Open that with TextEdit and scroll through that file and look for "minimum version". It'll usually say something like "10.9.0". Change it to 10.7.0 and save the file. Close out the finder window and drag the app back to your Applications folder. The icon should now look normal. Run the app and see if it works. I've only tested this with web browsers. It's worked for Firefox 56, Tor Browser, and SeaMonkey. Your mileage will vary. Some apps will work by doing this and some will not.

Cheers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.