Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jedphoto

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 27, 2020
Looking to get an indoor bike for myself and my wife to use with our Fitness+ account. So so many options on Amazon, so I am hoping to get some real world recommendations here. Since we have Apple Watches, we don't need any heart monitors. Basically looking for a good bike that is stable and smooth. My main questions are if a magnetic resistance is much better than felt or not? Also, if I have read correctly, Apple Fitness doesn't use a cadence metric, so do I need that at all? I have an extra pair of spd pedals that I plan on putting on as well.

Lastly, hoping to keep this in the sub 400 dollar range if possible.

Thanks

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
I have a
- sunny spin bike with felt pads
- Schwinn 270 recumbent bike with mag resistance

both are good. spin bike tends to be better workouts. felt resistance is more of a "feel" as not indicated by levels like a mag but is better imo.

goneeuro02

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2016
B73DF7AB-7214-4C50-8D1F-7644233FCD37.jpeg

Left is mine. Schwinn ic4. Got it on Amazon.

Right is my wife’s myxfitness bike.

We got hers first during the pandemic and gyms were closed. We ended up not being a huge fan of the service but it did come with a bunch of extras like weights and a mat. Since we didn’t like the service we figured out the “tablet” was visa mounted and I had an extra tv that fit. I bolted it on, Velcroed an Apple TV behind it and boom Apple Bike.

Mine we got cause I got jealous. lol We didn’t need the tv and the ic4 has a tablet holder so I use my iPad. We like riding together so we bought both. Schwinn has magnetic resistance so is much Smoother and quieter. When my wife rides alone she ends up using mine because of it.

Hope that helps a little. you can find my wife’s review on her Instagram page if you want. She posts a lot so you may have to scroll a little to find it.

interbear

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2012
UK
I’d highly recommend the Schwinn IC8 (UK) or IC4 (US) - same bike, different model numbers in different countries. I use it with Apple Fitness + cycle classes on my iPad, it’s a great partner for that but you could also use other cycle apps like Peleton etc. Why do I like it?
- Solid, sturdy build quality
- Magnetic resistance flywheel is silent in operation
- The resistance knob is easy to use with a display indicator
- Tablet holder rather than big integral screen, so more flexibility on app choice and less to go wrong with the bike
- The small integral display on the bike has a rpm counter/bar on top, which works nicely with Apple Fitness + as the instructors often use this as a reference for cycle speed ie. 100 rpm.
- Easy to adjust saddle height for multiple users

Reactions: goneeuro02

Jedphoto

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 27, 2020
So, I ended up getting a Sunny with friction resistance and a 40lb flywheel. I figured for 350.00 it was a good investment. There were some quirks that I had to over come (like a missing seat), but I've got them worked out. I don't need to spend more than that honestly. I have worked up some good sweats from the Apple Spin classes, so I'm happy.

Reactions: zinacef

zinacef

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2018
So, I ended up getting a Sunny with friction resistance and a 40lb flywheel. I figured for 350.00 it was a good investment. There were some quirks that I had to over come (like a missing seat), but I've got them worked out. I don't need to spend more than that honestly. I have worked up some good sweats from the Apple Spin classes, so I'm happy.
This looks like a really great idea for me to incorporate because at the moment I’m using my Trek bike attached to an indoor trainer (CycleOps) for the spin classes.
With my setup, I always feel like I’m missing out by not actually using a spin bike.

wwooden

macrumors 68020
Jul 26, 2004
Burlington, VT
I have the Joroto X2. It works well for what I want/need. Magnetic resistance, 35lb flywheel, lots of adjustments for the seat and handles. I don't use the mini display, I actually have it off the machine. I just follow along with the Fitness+ instructors and use the water bottle holders on the front.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.