Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JonHimself

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 3, 2004
Toronto, Ontario
I have been searching for a while (both google and MR) without results. I could have sworn that if you bought the Apple Time Capsule, you could use the hard drive as your iDisk hard - essentially making your iDisk drive 500gb, 1TB, or 2TB depending on your device.
Is this possible? Does anyone know any more information about this or have a link to more information? It's driving my crazy because I really think I remember reading this.

Matthew Yohe

macrumors 68020
Oct 12, 2006
I have been searching for a while (both google and MR) without results. I could have sworn that if you bought the Apple Time Capsule, you could use the hard drive as your iDisk hard - essentially making your iDisk drive 500gb, 1TB, or 2TB depending on your device.
Is this possible? Does anyone know any more information about this or have a link to more information? It's driving my crazy because I really think I remember reading this.

It doesn't make your iDisk that large, but you can share a hard drive hanging off an Airport Extreme or use the drive on a Time Capsule onto MobileMe.

Open Airport Utility, open your airport, Click Advanced, MobileMe. Put in your info.

JonHimself

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 3, 2004
Toronto, Ontario
It doesn't make your iDisk that large, but you can share a hard drive hanging off an Airport Extreme or use the drive on a Time Capsule onto MobileMe.

Open Airport Utility, open your airport, Click Advanced, MobileMe. Put in your info.

I don't have the router, but am looking into it. I changed what I was looking for on Google based on what you said and came up with a lot of information! Looks like the USB connected drive, or the Time Capsule hard drive will show up in Finder as if they were local drives when I'm away from home... should be perfect!

Thanks!

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
I don't have the router, but am looking into it. I changed what I was looking for on Google based on what you said and came up with a lot of information! Looks like the USB connected drive, or the Time Capsule hard drive will show up in Finder as if they were local drives when I'm away from home... should be perfect!

Thanks!

Does it really make your drive available when away from the house... or does it only work on your Local Area Network?

If it does work away from the house... does the Time Capsule need to be your primary router... or can it simply be used with a different router while simply "extending" your network (ie: the TC being used as an access point).

/Jim

JonHimself

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 3, 2004
Toronto, Ontario
Does it really make your drive available when away from the house... or does it only work on your Local Area Network?

If it does work away from the house... does the Time Capsule need to be your primary router... or can it simply be used with a different router while simply "extending" your network (ie: the TC being used as an access point).

/Jim

I don't have one so I can't answer your second question - I would think that as long as it's on the network and connected to the internet then it probably would work, but that's based on just me guessing.

According to everything I've read, if it's set-up through Mobile Me it will show on your computer when you're away from home (on WAN, not just LAN) much like your computer would using Back To My Mac. I would love to know about how good it works in accessing files while away from the home network - obviously it depends on your connection but it would great to hear about someone's use of it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.