Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AT0MAC

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 4, 2011
Copenhagen, Denmark
I am currently building a server that is going to run Mountain Lion. I am practically done building but before I start installing software I want to know one thing:

Can I expand my 5TB JBOD later without loosing any data?

I don't need more space now, but if I cant add later I better buy the last disc before I complete the build.

Last edited:

EmpyreanUK

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2011
It's just a bunch of discs, so adding an additional unit will simply provide you with another disc. It won't have any effect whatsoever on the other discs.

Disc.

prisstratton

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Attachments

• Test RAID JBOD.jpg
    Test RAID JBOD.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 647
Last edited:

AT0MAC

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 4, 2011
Copenhagen, Denmark
I just tested this on Snow Leopard:

Edit: Same result in Mountain Lion

Super Duper! :cool:

You just saved me money for now, as I can wait with adding a third drive till the need arises. Also, thank you guys here on MR for getting straight to the point and answering, awesome forum ethics!
(tried the exact same question on two other sites and never got a useful answer any of those places)

Kasalic

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2011
You have to be crazy to use a JBOD configuration on a server......it's not reliable and there is no redundancy.

Scott

What Scott said is absolutely correct, lots of people confuse JBOD with concatenated Raid.

Mac OS uses Concatenated Raid and not JBOD. yes you can add disks to the system and increase space as above, however if one drive fails you will lose the lot.

Read http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-RAID_drive_architectures for more information.

sidewinder

macrumors 68020
Dec 10, 2008
Northern California
What Scott said is absolutely correct, lots of people confuse JBOD with concatenated Raid.

Mac OS uses Concatenated Raid and not JBOD. yes you can add disks to the system and increase space as above, however if one drive fails you will lose the lot.

Read http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-RAID_drive_architectures for more information.

I was talking about it i reference to how Apple refers to it. Concatenated Raid is crazy to use on a server.....

Scott

AT0MAC

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 4, 2011
Copenhagen, Denmark
I was talking about it i reference to how Apple refers to it. Concatenated Raid is crazy to use on a server.....

Scott

OK, I see your point... That's why I am changing my meaning and is willing to pump more money into this beast (started out as I wanted to build an inexpensive home server, that goal has loooong past now I just want to build the best).

See my new thread about RAID10

Richdmoore

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2007
Troutdale, OR
Hello, I was thinking about doing this as well (for an iTunes library of mostly movie rips.). Backups should not be an issue because I always make a copy of the movie to another offline backup drive as soon as handbrake finished converting the movie.

My question is if both USB & firewire drives can be added to a Concatenated set of drives (JBOD is the common name, right?) or if all the drives have to be the same interface (firewire 800 or USB).

Thanks in advance for any help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.