Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lollypop

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 13, 2004
Johannesburg, South Africa
hi,

I think my powerbook powercord is damaged, for a while now when I plug in the cord the light doesnt go on and I have to twist and jiggle it a bit for it to start charging, now it doesnt want to charge at all! Over here a replacement will cost about $100 and none of the decent stores will let me even try out one of their units, they want me to book the powerbook and cord in and then they will charge me. Based on this thread I think it might be a common occurance. Im just not keen on paying to find out if it is the connector thats the problem and then pay $100 to fix it. I have done a google search and have found this site that suggests a custom way to fix it, has anyone tried this? How well does it work?

Fleetwood Mac

macrumors 65816
Apr 27, 2006
Canada
Unless you know what your doing, just get the new adapter. If you screw up, this could very easily damage your iBook.

gman71882

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2005
Houston, Tx
This Power adapter from Macally is a much cheaper alternative.
My Power Adapter caught fire a few months ago.. about 1 month after Apple care expired. So i bought this $30 USD replacement.
Shipping to South Africa shouldnt be THAT expensize is it?
Its been working Great so far.

Johnny Rico

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2005
The macally adapters are nice, won't fck up unlike every adapter apple has ever made, and a much better price than the apple adapters. You just don't get the charge indicator light on the plug bit.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.