Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

toke lahti

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 23, 2007
Helsinki, Finland
I will try this very soon.
I'd like to hear, if anybody else has tried, what are the details and caveats?

And how well it has worked for you?
Any statistical speed info?

Does Monterey and Ventura have same version of diskutil?
How to check?

gilby101

macrumors 68030
Mar 17, 2010
Tasmania
man diskutil in Monterey says "DISKUTIL(8) ".
Is it (9) in Ventura?
The 8 is not a version number. It is the 'Section' number. The sections are listed in man man.

The Ventura diskutil man page is dated 27 October 2021. You can look in the Monterey man page - date is at the bottom of the page.

Reactions: toke lahti

toke lahti

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 23, 2007
Helsinki, Finland
The 8 is not a version number. It is the 'Section' number. The sections are listed in man man.

The Ventura diskutil man page is dated 27 October 2021. You can look in the Monterey man page - date is at the bottom of the page.
In Monterey the date is 11 January 2021.
So it is different.

I presume that there's no documentation about the delta ie. what has changed?
(In my case now, has repairing cs/hfs+ fusion disk improved, I guess it's unlikely...)

Brian33

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2008
USA (Virginia)
Just for fun around a year ago, on Mojave I made an APFS DIY Fusion drive, and it seemed to work well. I didn't test it extensively, though. The 2.5" SATA SSD was in a Thunderbolt-2 enclosure, and the HDD component was a partition in a Thunderbolt-2 enclosure.

toke lahti

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 23, 2007
Helsinki, Finland
Just for fun around a year ago, on Mojave I made an APFS DIY Fusion drive, and it seemed to work well. I didn't test it extensively, though. The 2.5" SATA SSD was in a Thunderbolt-2 enclosure, and the HDD component was a partition in a Thunderbolt-2 enclosure.
Is that tb2-sata enclosure still available?

Brian33

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2008
USA (Virginia)
Is that tb2-sata enclosure still available?
Unfortunately, no. It's a AKiTiO Thunder2 Duo Pro, discontinued in 2018. I have two of them, and IMHO they are superb enclosures. Excellent build quality and (more importantly) have been utterly reliable with daily use over six years. Maybe you can find a used one. (There is a firmware update for some 8TB drives, IIRC -- but they even supplied Mac software to apply it!)

Reactions: toke lahti

toke lahti

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 23, 2007
Helsinki, Finland
I've got this other thread for hdd case:

But Akitio's (now OWC) cases seem to be very nice, but really an overkill for just one hdd.

But I might fall to this:

Because also space for fast ssd, when needed and tb hub.
But I already have Caldigit's hub, so...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.