Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lawlietkm

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 13, 2020
Hello,

I have been experiencing crashes on my 2020 iMac 27" with AMD Radeon Pro 5500 XT 8 Gb for the last few weeks, randomly, sometimes multiple times a day and some other times no crashes at all for a few days.

I was told to start in safe mode, also to reinstall macos (it even crashed during the reinstall…).

After looking for the crash reports in console app, it turns out to always be the same reason: bridgeos, bug 210 and kernel panic, always this stuff.

I have looked up online and it seems that's related to the OS and not the hardware, I have also been messaging a guy who I know works at an Apple store and he said they're aware of this issue and it should get a patch soon but I have read online and talked with someone on Reddit who has had that issue since February and on some posts it's even older and it has not been addressed yet.

Another friend has recommended me to hard reset, save my file before of course and then do a clean reinstall of everything. I'm not sure if I should do that though because it's very time consuming. But who knows.

Now I'm still wondering if someone else is still experiencing this and if there really is going to have a patch release soon fixing this problem because it's quite annoying.

gokhano

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2020
Finally encountered someone suffering the same issue.

I had bought my iMac 27" 5K in 2022 with 4 TB SSD and upped the RAM from its initial 32 GB to 64 GB with hopes I'd get rid of these random crashes, which, I thought at first, were due to out of memory errors. Most of these crashes are kernel panics which usually end up corrupting all the mounted writable drives.

After the fourteenth great crash on the latest available Sonoma, I resorted the formatting the drive for the fifth time this year, but this time I removed the recovery partition, too and made an Internet recovery starting over with macOS Monterey with which this iMac was shipped with.

On Ventura and Sonoma I experience the video glitches, like video glitch effects with colorful random noise momentarily appearing and immediately disappearing when switching to the window of another app. I am unsure if these have anything to do with the kernel panics which occur sometime after the occurrence of these video glitches.

I think they screwed the programming of the drivers of the ATI Radeon 5500 XT which I had on this machine.

This iMac 27" 5k is almost a prefect PC, though, when I start up from Bootcamp running Windows. No kernel panics, very occasional out of memory issues which come with sufficient notices therefore I can save and close the heavy-weight apps and restart if necessary without losing work or data - unlike what happens with macOS.

I suspect that there are few people with tenacity to keep up with Apple's irresponsible engineering management and most of the sufferers have either switched to Windows PCs or to Silicon Macs. I intend to do both, but my next Mac will be the last Mac I wasted my money on if Apple proves ruining its product line has become a regular pattern.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.