Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
Yeah, put the political forum back, seriously. :D
PRSI reminded me of a TV show in the 1960s, where a couple was more happy fighting than when they were getting along. Is that archived anywhere for viewing or is it hidden?

• Haha
Reactions: JM

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
PRSI reminded me of a TV show in the 1960s, where a couple was more happy fighting than when they were getting along. Is that archived anywhere for viewing or is it hidden?
No clue, I’m guessing it is archieved in an inaccessible locked vault but as I said in another post, under the current conditions that Mac Rumors imposes for political discussion, imo it’s much better to find a more lenient place to talk politics.

orionquest

Suspended
Mar 16, 2022
The Great White North
Speaking as someone who's been a paid moderator, volunteer moderator, and site administrator for message boards and user communities both far smaller than MacRumors, and a couple that dwarf MacRumors: If I had a dollar for every time someone made request to relax restrictions or moderation under the flag of "free speech" (particularly in the last couple years) I'd be a wealthy man.

I'm beyond the point of not having cynicism toward such requests. All the world is a big ball of agendas, just waiting to shouted, preferably louder than someone else's agendas.

Rules of engagement exist for a reason: From Robert's Rules of Order governing a board meeting, down to a volunteer moderator at a site like MacRumors toiling to keep a thread on track. Attempting to relax those rules is not in service of "free speech," it is in service of chaos, and no one is going to convince me otherwise.

(note: my opinions are my own and do not reflect policy for any community I have in the past or may currently serve as moderator for. I have no connection to MacRumors as anything other than an appreciative user.)
Hmm your user name seems familiar, I think I have seen it from another tech forum....

• Haha
Reactions: cateye

MrCheeto

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2008

That’s kind of an absurdist leap. There are sites with more or less moderation than MR. It’s not an on/off deal. For instance: 4chan literally has mods!

If I’m being honest, I’ve learned more information from that site that I’ve used every day than any forum or fan base. That’s not irony or positing an argument, I mean I can specifically remember when I learned of skills, terms, options and advice to solve day-to-day dealings. That’s less to do with moderation and more to do with the shear volume of information shared on such a place where no signup or profile is required. Plus they’re allowed to go as deep into or far from a topic as they like, which is where I pick up random tidbits and factoids.

Please never visit that place at work or where somebody may see you, enable private browsing and don’t post there unless you know what you’re getting into, though. Not for the squeamish.

Why would a site dedicated to G5 PowerBook prototype leaks need to be a soap box?

ILoveCalvinCool

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2012
You defend 4chan but then go on to say:

Please never visit that place at work or where somebody may see you, enable private browsing and don’t post there unless you know what you’re getting into, though. Not for the squeamish.

I'd rather MR continue to be a site I can visit at work, or where someone might see me, and I don't have to be concerned about "what I'm getting into" and don't need to have my squeamishness levels tested.

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
I am curios - what’s your hypothesis? What observation or data is your hypothesis based on? How will it be tested with that particular "experiment"? What’s your "control"?

The OP was obviously using the word "experiment" in a casual, loose sense not a strict scientific one 😉

Reactions: belvdr

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
I haven't seen anyone else ask the obvious question, so I will. Assuming you're a decent person wanting to simply engage in rational discussion, what on earth would you possibly want to communicate on this forum that you are not able to already with moderation as it is?

CLARIFICATION: Since this is MAC-Rumors, I was assuming discussion about Mac-related topics in my above question. If someone is super passionate about some off-topic subject, then they can easily find a dedicated forum for that.

Last edited:
Reactions: ILoveCalvinCool

Madhatter32

macrumors 65816
Apr 17, 2020
I haven't seen anyone else ask the obvious question, so I will. Assuming you're a decent person wanting to simply engage in rational discussion, what on earth would you possibly want to communicate on this forum that you are not able to already with moderation as it is?
One obvious answer is rational discussion related to politics, religion and certain social issues. Not saying this prohibition is a bad thing. I do not come to MR for that type of discussion, but there were people who certainly did in the past.

Reactions: ajfahey

MrCheeto

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2008
You defend 4chan but then go on to say...

Correct. I have no filter, no limits, and no shame at all. People I know personally see the things I collect online and share. I’m not embarrassed if my device starts displaying shock images or playing disturbing or offensive audio. The internet is a toy, why be serious?

But that’s beside the point. There are levels of moderation, we don’t have to go to the extremes. MR moderation has gotten stricter over time. I’m not allowed to post things today that I posted in 2009. Again, if somebody feels the need to say something off-color without reigns, I wouldn’t pick a computer brand fan-site as a first choice.

Assuming you're a decent person wanting to simply engage in rational discussion, what on earth would you possibly want to communicate on this forum that you are not able to already with moderation as it is?

I can think of plenty. Sometimes it’s better just to not “touch” a subject at all since it’s mere discussion or debate might be triggering to those on the outside looking in.

As a safe example, I assume: merely mentioning the globe in all its spherical curvaceousness could upset certain beliefs, despite how rational they might be. If you think they’re irrational, that’s a perfect example of how rational thinking itself may be colored. Thus, better not to bring it up or attempt to “fairly” moderate it at all.

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
One obvious answer is rational discussion related to politics, religion and certain social issues. Not saying this prohibition is a bad thing. I do not come to MR for that type of discussion, but there were people who certainly did in the past.

I was thinking of on-topic material (i.e. Mac-related). But the reason why those other issues are not allowed to be discussed is because too many people have proven over and over again to be incapable of keeping their emotions out of the discussion and end up being too much time and trouble to moderate. While people can and do get heated about Mac topics too, it's not anywhere close to the level it is with politics or religion.

I can think of plenty. Sometimes it’s better just to not “touch” a subject at all since it’s mere discussion or debate might be triggering to those on the outside looking in.

As a safe example, I assume: merely mentioning the globe in all its spherical curvaceousness could upset certain beliefs, despite how rational they might be. If you think they’re irrational, that’s a perfect example of how rational thinking itself may be colored. Thus, better not to bring it up or attempt to “fairly” moderate it at all.

As I told Madhatter32, I had in mind only Mac-related topics since that's the focus of this forum. If you are passionate about your belief the earth is flat, I'm sure there's a dedicated forum or two out there for discussing that along with other, um, "interesting" beliefs 😉

If you can give an example of a Mac-related topic that would be verboten under the current rules, I'd be interested to know what that is.

Last edited:

Madhatter32

macrumors 65816
Apr 17, 2020
I was thinking of on-topic material (i.e. Mac-related). But the reason why those other issues are not allowed to be discussed is because too many people have proven over and over again to be incapable of keeping their emotions out of the discussion and end up being too much time and trouble to moderate. While people can and do get heated about Mac topics too, it's not anywhere close to the level it is with politics or religion.
Discussions concerning the notch do inflame the passions in some, indeed many, Apple enthusiasts. Even I have trouble keeping my emotions in check on this issue but, alas, have been able to stay within the confines of the rules. So, I think we agree.

The butterfly keyboard and touch bar ... now those are an entirely different story. 😆 They were banned by Apple itself. 😆

ILoveCalvinCool

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2012
Correct. I have no filter, no limits, and no shame at all.

You missed the point completely, but it doesn't matter, because this will never happen anyway. Moderation exists all over the web because everyone has plainly seen what happens when you don't have moderation. 4chan and 8chan and Gab and Parler and Truth Social all exist for you to exercise the unbridled free speech you can't find on Macrumors. Enjoy!

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

MrCheeto

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2008
If you can give an example of a Mac-related topic that would be verboten under the current rules, I'd be interested to know what that is.

Mac related? Eh, not so much. Apple related? Ooooh boy. See? Not going there. Nuh-uh. Can’t even mention what’s going on with Apple now. I’m trying to go a week without a ban, at least. Don’t ask. Don’t DM about it. It has already been made clear that it is not allowed, so there. I think it falls mostly under politics, which was nuked. So that should settle that.

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
Mac related? Eh, not so much. Apple related? Ooooh boy. See? Not going there. Nuh-uh. Can’t even mention what’s going on with Apple now. I’m trying to go a week without a ban, at least. Don’t ask. Don’t DM about it. It has already been made clear that it is not allowed, so there. I think it falls mostly under politics, which was nuked. So that should settle that.

Not sure what you're referring to. I've seen many discussions here about Apple and the EU or other government entities, for example, and those discussions are allowed (as long as the posts don't devolve into partisan politics, etc.). I have posted several times that I think the government should butt out of micro-regulating tech companies, and never got reprimanded for that. The only time I got deleted was when I quoted a specific politician (apparently someone got triggered by the person's name, rather than focus on the content of the quote, and reported me 🙄)

MrCheeto

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2008
triggered by the person's name

That’s kind of what I mean. The mere mention of some things, even if purely factually clinical as if it were a dictionary definition, can be censored. Thus, I don’t discuss or even mention or allude to some things.

A benign picture of a flower in a field can become problematic if utilized by some.

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
That’s kind of what I mean. The mere mention of some things, even if purely factually clinical as if it were a dictionary definition, can be censored. Thus, I don’t discuss or even mention or allude to some things.

A benign picture of a flower in a field can become problematic if utilized by some.

Sure, but there were plenty of other ways for me to communicate the same point, so it's not like I was stifled because of the moderation. I would never quote someone without attributing it, so given that the person was a well-known politician, I probably should've paraphrased them instead.

• Wow

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
I'd love to hear what "free speech" you think isn't allowed here under the moderation as it is.

Reactions: Kissaragi

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Could we do an experiment where for a 2 week period only spam or illegal content would be removed, but otherwise allow free speech on the forums?
No. Next please.

In all seriousness, this would be an incredibly bad idea. The amount of insults on their own would be enough to create flame wars and some threads would delve into madness.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
No. Next please.

In all seriousness, this would be an incredibly bad idea. The amount of insults on their own would be enough to create flame wars and some threads would delve into madness.
That reminds me of the forums when the original iPhone was released, and then, again, when the price was dropped. There was so much anger and people didn't want to behave.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.