Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

seasurfer

Suspended
Original poster
Dec 12, 2007
So I decided to carry out an experiment. I would like to go on a business trip without my MacBook Pro 15 for the first time.

I am only carrying the iPad Pro with a sleeve, no keyboard. Of course I have my iPhone 6S.

I am day 3 on my trip. And realized that I actually don't need my MacBook Pro so far. I am able to accomplish everything with my iPad Pro and my iPhone.

The Pros:
My backpack is a lot lighter.
Less gadgets, therefore less hassle.

The Cons:
The iPad Pro can't do any serious academic writing. There is currently no apps that support citation while writing academic articles. Doing some editing is fine. I usually use google doc and Paperpile to write, can't find something similar on iOS.

Overall, if your trip does not involve any serious editing. I believe the iPad Pro and the iPhone are sufficient to serve your daily need.

soulreaver99

macrumors 68040
Aug 15, 2010
Southern California
I've gotten by with just my iPhone. Wasn't fun but it worked :p

I believe if you want to get the most work done as efficiently as possible carrying, working spreadsheets, powerpoint, etc.. the retina MacBook is the way to go. Not sure why this device is overlooked by people when deciding on a device for business travel.

Reactions: sonicrobby

seasurfer

Suspended
Original poster
Dec 12, 2007
I've gotten by with just my iPhone. Wasn't fun but it worked :p

I believe if you want to get the most work done as efficiently as possible carrying, working spreadsheets, powerpoint, etc.. the retina MacBook is the way to go. Not sure why this device is overlooked by people when deciding on a device for business travel.

While on the plane or traveling, reading on retina MacBook is not as comfortable as reading on iPad.

temna

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2008
hmm, Google docs doesn't work the same with Chrome on the iPad as on a laptop..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.