Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Djilkosh

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 3, 2016
Serbia
Well, all of you know that when you have your wifi on and phone goes to sleep, that wifi goes off in sleeping state (disconnects). I was arguing, well not arguing, lets say chating with some of MR members that they said that I'm lying etc.

Now I can prove my point and two of my friends stated same because they did what i have discovered.

iYbXjPg.png

nneGLdB.png

I had this "bug" and my wifi always stayed on and conneceted when phone is sleeping.

I attached screenshots where you see setting and how I set them.

1. Go to iphone settings and forget your network
2. Open browser and go to your router settings (type in browser router's adress)
3. Find and change network's name (just type anything)
4. I only have 5ghz network enabled (don't know if this would work on 2.4Ghz, but I think it should or if you have dual network enabled (2.4&5Ghz)
5. Change your network SSID to hidden or if it is already hidden change it to discoverable
6. Change password of your network

P.S. If your network is hidden, when you go to iphone's wifi settings you need to go to "other", type name of your network, choose what is yours WPA security (mine is WPA2) then it'll show password, type your password and it's done. If your wifi still disconnects restart phone.

P.S.S. I don't know if this should work for all routers on world but... On mine and two friends who have same router works.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
I dont get it.
So if you change your routers network name and from viewable to hidden or vise versa then the iPhone will not disconnect from the wifi when it goes to sleep mode?
Doesn't make much sense.
Is your mobile data off maybe that's why it stays connected?

Djilkosh

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 3, 2016
Serbia
It doesn't make sense, I agree. BUT... It works. How? I don't know and I don't wanna know. It just works. I replicate it on friends iPhone and it is the same. Well he and I have same router. Everyone should try and see.

If my mobile data is off and in normal condition I wouldn't get notifications (because wifi goes off when device is sleeping), but here I can turn off and still get notifications.

My mobile data is always on, but for testing I turned off and still got notifications.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
Interesting.
What model router are you and your friend using?
And can we assume that it will work the same way with every wifi router in the world?
Even when wifi turns off from inactivity and you have no carrier data your iphone should still receive notifications since the iphone pings/checks periodically if there's any new requests.

Reactions: rui no onna

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Can someone tell me why this is a big deal?

I've never understood, nor have I ever cared, why it matters that WiFi shuts off when you turn your iDevice screen off.

This seems to have been a thing that became a thing with the iPhone 5 and iOS 6. Why?

I mean unless your data plan is like 1mb/month and you're getting charged $10,000 per .01mb overage what does it matter?

Maybe it's just because I've had an unlimited data plan since 2008, IDK.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008

I've never understood, nor have I ever cared, why it matters that WiFi shuts off when you turn your iDevice screen off.

This seems to have been a thing that became a thing with the iPhone 5 and iOS 6. Why?

I mean unless your data plan is like 1mb/month and you're getting charged $10,000 per .01mb overage what does it matter?

I guess in Serbia they cannot afford data with their cellphone plans:)

Reactions: eyoungren

Djilkosh

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 3, 2016
Serbia
Interesting.
What model router are you and your friend using?
And can we assume that it will work the same way with every wifi router in the world?
Even when wifi turns off from inactivity and you have no carrier data your iphone should still receive notifications since the iphone pings/checks periodically if there's any new requests.
We have http://www.ubeeinteractive.com/sites/default/files/file_resources/EVW327_Data_Sheet_070616.pdf
I dont know if this will work on every device, but everyone can try.
How to know time when wifi goes on again? That periodically thing is when you have delayed notifications because it is not enabled internet in sleep mode (wifi)

Yeah. You don't have to worry, but in my country there is no unlimited data plan :(

Djilkosh

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 3, 2016
Serbia
I guess in Serbia they cannot afford data with their cellphone plans:)

It's not problem of affording to get and buy some good data plans it's about our carriers. I have for 9.15$ unlimited calls and messages and 2GB internet. I can buy 10gb for 9$ if I need more data. Every place here is covered with wifi from my cable carrier where I have free wifi.

And here is not like in USA for calls if I call you then you lose minutes and I too. So :)

Our LTE speeds are good :)
1e4088f1171780aaaf795f1ad6c57cfb.png

ctrlzone

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2017
i don't get it?!
all my iOS devices do not disconnect wifi, i get mails and everything all the time and i don't use any cellular network.

Reactions: Gathomblipoob

Gathomblipoob

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
i don't get it?!
all my iOS devices do not disconnect wifi, i get mails and everything all the time and i don't use any cellular network.

Same here. I listen to movie or TV audio while I'm falling asleep and it's still playing on wifi when I wake up. My data usage would indicate whether or not I was using cellular data. Also, I have these apps set to not use cellular data.

cbreze

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2014
Oregon
My wifi appears to remain on thru the nite as well. My emails come thru with various time stamps during the wee hours. Also, nighttime data usage is non existant as it is set to go thru wifi as preferred. I have an iphone 7.

Reactions: Gathomblipoob

Djilkosh

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 3, 2016
Serbia
Same here. I listen to movie or TV audio while I'm falling asleep and it's still playing on wifi when I wake up.
That's because app is in background downloading from internet through wifi. We are talking about phone on idle state sleeping.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

If you go to your router settings you sometimes wont see your device connected on network.

Reactions: Applejuiced

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
It's not problem of affording to get and buy some good data plans it's about our carriers. I have for 9.15$ unlimited calls and messages and 2GB internet. I can buy 10gb for 9$ if I need more data. Every place here is covered with wifi from my cable carrier where I have free wifi.

And here is not like in USA for calls if I call you then you lose minutes and I too. So :)

Our LTE speeds are good :)
1e4088f1171780aaaf795f1ad6c57cfb.png

It doesn't sound expensive for data then.
Leave carrier data on and live life a little :D

Btw I'm a big Partizan fan!

Last edited:
Reactions: Djilkosh

Cogsworth

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2015
That's because app is in background downloading from internet through wifi. We are talking about phone on idle state sleeping.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

If you go to your router settings you sometimes wont see your device connected on network.
I'm not following this either. My phone is idle and locked all night, but emails and other notifications still come through the wi-fi.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
This. Exactly. Even when the iOS device sleeps, it periodically enables wifi to ping the server so it isn't actually off the entire time. Wifi goes on and off. That's why Find My iPhone works on wifi-only iOS devices.

djinn

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2003
When I had an ASUS wifi router, my apple devices would fall off wifi. Ever since I switched to ubiquiti, they all stay on, which is awesome.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
When I had an ASUS wifi router, my apple devices would fall off wifi. Ever since I switched to ubiquiti, they all stay on, which is awesome.

Im using a new ASUS wifi router from Tmobile with built in wifi calling cellspot.
Awesome device, 5ghz so its very fast and I haven't dropped wifi signal since March 2017 that I received it.

Reactions: I7guy

Djilkosh

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 3, 2016
Serbia
Sorry to hear that... I don't know why apple doesn't implement such nice feature from android (wifi settings where you can have 3 options: wifi always on, wifi always off, always on when plugged in)...

If I need to buy router that costs me 150-200$ just to iPhone likes him, then it's not problem with router, it's iPhone's problem.

bbrks

macrumors 65816
Dec 17, 2013
It doesn't sound expensive for data then.
Leave carrier data on and live life a little :D

Btw I'm a big Partizan fan!

What!!!!!!!!! Shame on you o_O
[doublepost=1497969868][/doublepost]

This exactly! It's also a huge puzzle for me too

Reactions: eyoungren

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
Sorry to hear that... I don't know why apple doesn't implement such nice feature from android (wifi settings where you can have 3 options: wifi always on, wifi always off, always on when plugged in)...

My guess is because your battery will die very fast if it kept constant connection to wifi when its not needed.
And that 99% of people that have iphones have data plans so they dont solely rely on wifi to get their notifications.

Reactions: rui no onna

Djilkosh

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 3, 2016
Serbia
My guess is because your battery will die very fast if it kept constant connection to wifi when its not needed.
And that 99% of people that have iphones have data plans so they dont solely rely on wifi to get their notifications.
How so?

If your cell tower is not near you and you have 2-3 bars signal, then that can't be better than reception of your router that is 1-2m away. Of course there is drainage if your wifi constantly goes on and off instead that it is always connected.

Bad reception = slower network = delayed notifications
[doublepost=1498038825][/doublepost]
Aren't iOS devices just doing what MacOS calls Power Nap?
View attachment 704990
That periodically is not push and that's why we have delayed notification. If it stayed connected then notifications will come as a push.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.