Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Flying Llama

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 4, 2004
Los Angeles
In Panther, if you type in the Terminal (no quotations):
"defaults write com.apple.dock wvous-olddesktop -bool false"
"killall Dock", then exposé will react differently on "show desktop". Instead of bringing all the windows on the side, it will put them in a small box. Except it sometimes locks-up the window server :/

shrinkit.jpg

Can anyone with 10.4 preview confirm that this still works? did apple fix it?

Chris Grande

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2003
This hack still works in Tiger and no longer puts a 'hole' in the desktop that doesn't let you click anything.

Flying Llama

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 4, 2004
Los Angeles
Chris Grande said:
This hack still works in Tiger and no longer puts a 'hole' in the desktop that doesn't let you click anything.

Hmm... apple must have been working on it... that's great that they're finishing it!

AmigoMac

macrumors 68020
Aug 5, 2003
l'Allemagne
Raven VII said:
That is cool, and seems to work pretty well. Wonder if it's a new Expose mode for Tiger?

-seems, I went pretty fast through f9 f10 f11 and my system got blocked

-Maybe, Virtual desktops ;) I doubt it but speculation is part of life

Kingsnapped

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
I had it set to do that for a while. I didn't know about the "hole" that it makes though... so I got kinda pissed running Final Cut, as that hole is right over where I used to keep my clips.

XnavxeMiyyep

macrumors 65816
Mar 27, 2003
Washington
It would be nice if they implemented this as a 4th Exposé feature in Tiger, though I'm not sure how much practical use it would have.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.