Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pinkkie

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 23, 2022
Is there a way to expose the noise cancelling/transparency modes button in the iOS UI to somewhere more convenient?

Apple is like "Just unlock your iPhone, then swipe down, then long press on volume, then tap the sound modes and then pick the one you want, bro."

Why isn't the button in the music app? Why isn't it on apple watch play now? Why doesn't it simply pop up somewhere in the control menu when you're using airpods? Anything would be more convenient than searching for the button deep in the menus or reaching for the physical button when I'm already using my iPhone

• Love
Reactions: davidg4781

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
Hmm. So I guess the reason it’s not in the UI is because when people are wearing AirPods, they have the option right there on the stem/s.

Can you give an example of where it would be easier to switch between modes in IOS instead of the AirPods stems?

Reactions: chabig

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
Siri can do it.
so you can change modes if your hands are full and can't reach the stem "hey Siri turn on noise cancelling" or "turn on transparency". This would also come in handy if you have some form of disability such as dexterity, strength or other issues that might make it difficult or impossible to squeeze the stem. (are those enough examples?). If you ask her to turn off noise canceling or transparency, it goes to the off mode.

you can also control it with shortcuts, your AirPods need to be connected to the phone when you create the shortcut, the "route" option will be the AirPods you want to control, the drop down will be blank unless the AirPods are currently connected (they can be in an open case too), and then it will give you the option for which mode you want to set.

Reactions: chabig
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.