Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Populus

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
I’ve been able to try an M2 iPad Pro on iPadOS 17.2 (not mine) using an external monitor, and even tho Stage Manager is bit better, the general management of windows, “stages” and apps between the two screens is messy and still plenty of bugs. Like, for instance, if you show up the left bar with all the apps, some will appear black, with just the icon visible. The preview of the window will be black until you bring back the app to the active area. This only happens in the monitor.

You “minimize” the first window of an app (e.g. Safari app), and it goes to the left bar with all the “stages” (stage manager group of apps), however, the second window you click on minimize, it will go to the dock.

What if we now want to “fuse” two windows of the same app, on the same group of apps? Well, it’s pretty hard. One window will remain on stage 1, along with, let’s say, Settings app, wile the second window of the same app will be on Stage 2. In the external monitor I haven’t been able, with my mouse, to put all three windows on the same stage (group of apps), while in the iPad itself I’ve only managed to do it, IIRC, dragging the window to the same stage.

External Display support through Stage Manager is, excuse me if I offend anyone, broken. Useless, at least for me. Like trying to write wearing boxing gloves. This isn’t for me.

So, once I get an Apple Silicon mac, I’ll use the iPad as an external display (Sidecar) or as a companion device thanks to Universal Control. That will be my use of the iPad while at home. Of course, on the go is an awesome device.

Have you tried the latest 17.3 on an external display? Does it get any better (at least less bugs)?

Do you expect this to improve on iPadOS 18?

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
I’ve been able to try an M2 iPad Pro on iPadOS 17.2 (not mine) using an external monitor, and even tho Stage Manager is bit better, the general management of windows, “stages” and apps between the two screens is messy and still plenty of bugs. Like, for instance, if you show up the left bar with all the apps, some will appear black, with just the icon visible. The preview of the window will be black until you bring back the app to the active area. This only happens in the monitor.
Apps that are black? Um... haven't come across this.

I use Stage Manager daily with an external monitor, but I'm curious... what kind of cable are you using to plug into your external monitor? I have a portable 4k monitor that I plug in via USB-C.

You “minimize” the first window of an app (e.g. Safari app), and it goes to the left bar with all the “stages” (stage manager group of apps), however, the second window you click on minimize, it will go to the dock.
So, I'm guessing... you expect the second window to go to the left bar instead of going into the dock? And because of this... it's mess?

I think the reason why the second window goes to the dock... because that's the last window that will be visible if you were to tap (click) Safari on the dock.

What if we now want to “fuse” two windows of the same app, on the same group of apps? Well, it’s pretty hard. One window will remain on stage 1, along with, let’s say, Settings app, wile the second window of the same app will be on Stage 2. In the external monitor I haven’t been able, with my mouse, to put all three windows on the same stage (group of apps), while in the iPad itself I’ve only managed to do it, IIRC, dragging the window to the same stage.
Tbf, I think you are making it complicated. You don't necessarily have to drag a window onto Stage, much better approach is to hold shift and tap (click) on the app in order to have an app or window on the same stage when it's active.

And you can add multiple windows of the same app by utilizing the hotkeys (CTRL+GLOBE+UP) to add another window.

External Display support through Stage Manager is, excuse me if I offend anyone, broken. Useless, at least for me. Like trying to write wearing boxing gloves. This isn’t for me.
I'm not offended by your word choice... but I don't believe it's "broken." But as you stated, it's not for you and that's alright. I know Stage Manager needs more refinement, but as it currently stands now... I use it without any issues.

Reactions: Populus

Populus

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
Thanks for your explanation @Ludatyk I’ll keep trying to get used to it in the future.

By the way, I wanted to ask you something. I’ve been trying to close apps through the CMD+Q shortcut when using the app switcher (CMD+Tab) and it doesn’t work. However, CMD+W (close window on Mac) actually closes the app. So I guess CMD+Q doesn’t exist on iPadOS, right?

If I have any other question or just want to rant about the limitations of iPadOS I’ll use this thread, to give it some use lol.

Reactions: Ludatyk

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
By the way, I wanted to ask you something. I’ve been trying to close apps through the CMD+Q shortcut when using the app switcher (CMD+Tab) and it doesn’t work. However, CMD+W (close window on Mac) actually closes the app. So I guess CMD+Q doesn’t exist on iPadOS, right?
You are correct, CMD+Q does not exist under iPadOS 17 and CMD+W does.

I don’t really close apps though… I normally use GLOBE+H (go to home) and if I need to open a different app CMD+Space to search for it. And I can always use the 3-finger swipe (left to right) to switch between apps.

If I have any other question or just want to rant about the limitations of iPadOS I’ll use this thread, to give it some use lol.
And what monitor are you using?

Populus

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
And what monitor are you using?
Despite the fact that I want to get a 4K glossy monitor (I know, I know, 5K is better but I need it for several devices, not just my Mac or iPad), I’m still using a 1200x1920 16:10 monitor from Dell. It renders the UI pretty well, but maybe some of the glitches I experience from time to time (like the one with some apps appearing black on the left edge in Stage Manager) are because of the 16:10 aspect ratio. But I don’t think so, iPadOS works pretty well regardless of this aspect ratio.

What I’d really like to encourage devs to, is enable full screen on external monitor. I’m not sure if you have tried Myst Mobile for iPadOS, it was launched less than a year ago, and whenever I open it on the external monitor, it doesn’t allow me to make it full screen, I have to play “windowed”.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Despite the fact that I want to get a 4K glossy monitor (I know, I know, 5K is better but I need it for several devices, not just my Mac or iPad), I’m still using a 1200x1920 16:10 monitor from Dell. It renders the UI pretty well, but maybe some of the glitches I experience from time to time (like the one with some apps appearing black on the left edge in Stage Manager) are because of the 16:10 aspect ratio. But I don’t think so, iPadOS works pretty well regardless of this aspect ratio.
Yeah, iPadOS does well with aspect ratios… I plugged the iPad to my Super UltraWide and it handled it pretty well. But on your external monitor do you get 3 options under Display Zoom (Large, Default and More Space)?

What I’d really like to encourage devs to, is enable full screen on external monitor. I’m not sure if you have tried Myst Mobile for iPadOS, it was launched less than a year ago, and whenever I open it on the external monitor, it doesn’t allow me to make it full screen, I have to play “windowed”.
I’d agree with this… some devs have not included full screen support when in Stage Manager.

I use Affinity Photo/Designer and they don’t have full screen support, Netflix… Procreate. But it’s not a huge concern since it’s only a few… however, it’s annoying.

Populus

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
Yeah, iPadOS does well with aspect ratios… I plugged the iPad to my Super UltraWide and it handled it pretty well. But on your external monitor do you get 3 options under Display Zoom (Large, Default and More Space)?
I must clarify that I’m back to my M2 iPad Pro that is still on iPadOS 16.6.1, I’ll see how iPadOS 17.3 goes and I’ll think if I update already or keep waiting.

In my iPad Pro, iPadOS 16.6.1 only offers me the Default and the More Space options. However, I remember that under iPadOS 17 it only offered me those same two aspects, Default and More Space. However, on the set-up process after resetting it, it showed me four aspects if I recall correctly, two of which were bigger than Default. I set it with More Space (is my preferred setting) and since then it only offered me the Default and the More Space configurations.

Reverend Benny

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2017
Europe
I must clarify that I’m back to my M2 iPad Pro that is still on iPadOS 16.6.1, I’ll see how iPadOS 17.3 goes and I’ll think if I update already or keep waiting.

In my iPad Pro, iPadOS 16.6.1 only offers me the Default and the More Space options. However, I remember that under iPadOS 17 it only offered me those same two aspects, Default and More Space. However, on the set-up process after resetting it, it showed me four aspects if I recall correctly, two of which were bigger than Default. I set it with More Space (is my preferred setting) and since then it only offered me the Default and the More Space configurations.
I didn't use stage manager much with iPadOS 16 as there was small bugs or features missing. One major one for me was that I couldn't select sound source which meant that my screen that has no speakers but a 3.5 mm plug became the primary sound output, and that couldn't be changed.
There seem to be an improvement in app support as well with more apps supporting full screen on the external screen than on iPadOS 16.
Not sure if there is a better support or more features app developers can use in iPadOS 17 but it seem to work better and more "fluent".

I'd recommend you to go for iPadOS 17.3, more features nice features absolutely but there are some high score CVE's that has been adressed.

Populus

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
I didn't use stage manager much with iPadOS 16 as there was small bugs or features missing. One major one for me was that I couldn't select sound source which meant that my screen that has no speakers but a 3.5 mm plug became the primary sound output, and that couldn't be changed.
There seem to be an improvement in app support as well with more apps supporting full screen on the external screen than on iPadOS 16.
Not sure if there is a better support or more features app developers can use in iPadOS 17 but it seem to work better and more "fluent".

I'd recommend you to go for iPadOS 17.3, more features nice features absolutely but there are some high score CVE's that has been adressed.

Thanks for the info and for your recommendation. You already know I’m extra cautious when updating from major iOS/iPadOS version to another. Although I’m not like those who stay on the original OS that came with the system, I take my time to update, see how it goes in other’s devices, and only when the system goes smooth and without major WiFi or UI issues, and not taking a hit on battery, only then I update.

There’s also the thing that I like to update both my iPhone and iPad at the same time (as well as Safari on macOS), for consistency sake. And I’m still not 100% sure to update my iPhone SE 3. Tomorrow we’ll have some results from youtuber iAppleBytes, and if his tests throw good results for A15 devices, I’ll probably update. Otherwise, I don’t mind waiting until iOS/iPadOS 17.4 or even 17.5

Reactions: Reverend Benny

Populus

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
@Ludatyk This days I’m using more my iPad with the external monitor. I don’t know, I’m confused, with certain flows I’m pretty okay with it, and if I was using my Magic Trackpad 2 (which is paired to my Mac) instead of my Magic Mouse 2, I’m pretty sure I’d enjoy more the experience. But for now, I prefer to stick to the Keyboard+Mouse combo.

However, other actions feel a bit clunky, and maybe it is because I don’t know a better way to do it. So, if you let me ask away…

- Is there a keyboard shortcut to send my currently used app, from the iPad screen to the external screen? Is there a shortcut to make it full screen or split screen?

- Is there a way to perform useful shortcuts like the multi task multi window view (globe/fn + Arrow Up) with the CMD key? I’m so used to the CMD key from my Mac that I would feel more comfortable that way.

- Is there a keyboard shortcut to show App Library while focus is on the empty external display? I know I can CMD + Space Bar and type the app I need to launch, but I was wondering if I could invoque App Library on the external monitor with quick keyboard shortcut. No, I don’t have it on my dock, I prever to have the three right slots for recently used apps.

I don’t mind if those are iPadOS 17 keyboard shortcuts, because in the strange event I don’t have them on iPadOS 16, I’ll soon have them once I update My iPad Pro.

And by the way, I know holding down the fn/CMD key shows me a spreadsheet with shortcut key combinations, but from my experience, at least on iPadOS 16, it doesn’t show all of them, and sometimes show the ones from an incorrect app.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
However, other actions feel a bit clunky, and maybe it is because I don’t know a better way to do it. So, if you let me ask away…

- Is there a keyboard shortcut to send my currently used app, from the iPad screen to the external screen? Is there a shortcut to make it full screen or split screen?
Yes, the shortcut to move an app to the external screen is CONTROL+GLOBLE+\ and GLOBE+F to make full screen.

- Is there a way to perform useful shortcuts like the multi task multi window view (globe/fn + Arrow Up) with the CMD key? I’m so used to the CMD key from my Mac that I would feel more comfortable that way.
Well, you can always go into General->Keyboards->Modifier Keys to change the Globe to CMD.

- Is there a keyboard shortcut to show App Library while focus is on the empty external display? I know I can CMD + Space Bar and type the app I need to launch, but I was wondering if I could invoque App Library on the external monitor with quick keyboard shortcut. No, I don’t have it on my dock, I prever to have the three right slots for recently used apps.
Not sure what exactly you are asking for here… but Shift+Globe+A is to show the App Library.

I don’t mind if those are iPadOS 17 keyboard shortcuts, because in the strange event I don’t have them on iPadOS 16, I’ll soon have them once I update My iPad Pro.
Yeah, because I’m not sure if the shortcuts differ from iPadOS 16.

Populus

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
Not sure what exactly you are asking for here… but Shift+Globe+A is to show the App Library.
Woah, many thanks! This is exactly what I was looking for! Now if only Apple allowed us to customize App Library…

Yes, the shortcut to move an app to the external screen is CONTROL+GLOBLE+\ and GLOBE+F to make full screen.
Exactly, I found out this one a couple of minutes ago when, by fluke, the shortcuts spreadsheet showed it (only once, on later invocations it didn’t show up), but since my keyboard has a Spanish layout, I perform this action with GLOBE+CTRL+Ç. A weird letter we use on some dialects here in Spain. However, it is not reliable. I don’t know if this will improve in iPadOS 17, but now it only works for me once in a while, not sure why.

Reactions: Ludatyk

RLRabb

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2011
@Ludatyk This days I’m using more my iPad with the external monitor. I don’t know, I’m confused, with certain flows I’m pretty okay with it, and if I was using my Magic Trackpad 2 (which is paired to my Mac) instead of my Magic Mouse 2, I’m pretty sure I’d enjoy more the experience. But for now, I prefer to stick to the Keyboard+Mouse combo.

And by the way, I know holding down the fn/CMD key shows me a spreadsheet with shortcut key combinations, but from my experience, at least on iPadOS 16, it doesn’t show all of them, and sometimes show the ones from an incorrect app.
Placing the App Library icon at the end of the dock does not take up one of the 3 spots for recently used apps.

• Wow

Populus

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
Okay, so as I said last time, I’m now using my Magic Trackpad 2 in conjunction with the iPad Pro and the monitor setup. And I’ve enabled the “tap to click” feature I’ve always used on my mac.

However, double tapping on the trackpad doesn’t make the smart zoom to activate, and while this is an issue with certain webs when using the screen of the iPhone or iPad, but it works in others, when using the trackpad it doesn’t work at all. I double tap with two fingers or just one, and it doesn’t activate the smart zoom. I guess smart zoom is not a feature thought to be used outside the physical screen of the device.

Another trouble I’m having, is the three finger swipe to the left to undo. This doesn’t work on the trackpad because the three finger gesture is used to switch between apps. If anyone knows a way to do it with a trackpad gesture, please share it. Otherwise I’ll keep using the CMD+Z shortcut.

____
Placing the App Library icon at the end of the dock does not take up one of the 3 spots for recently used apps.
You’re absolutely right! I don’t know why I thought otherwise.

cupcakes2000

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2010
Are you sure that’s always the case? I can’t check but I think it does if your dock is full. I seem to remember if the dock is full you then only get 2 spaces for last used + App Library.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.