Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jodeo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 12, 2003
Middle Tennessee
I've cloned my internal drive to one of the two partitions of an external drive. Honestly, I can't recall for sure if I was able to boot from that external drive.

I've since done a clean install of Mac OS 10. 11 (El Capitan) on the second external partition. Then, I used Migration Asst. to update the 2nd partition. This is to serve as staging for upgrading an iMac (now 11 years old) AND to have a back-up of Yosemite should the El Cap not be as good (I've read that older iMacs actually perform a bit better with it).

When I do try to boot from the external 10.10 external partition, I get the 'do not enter' aka 'ghost buster' icon.

I am able to boot fine from the El Cap 10.11 external partition just fine. (Also, the internal Yosemite drive boots fine too.)

So.
Do I need to re-clone my internal drive to ext. partition 1? Or just run the 10.10.5 Combo Update? Or... something else (short of buying a new Mac)?

Thanks!

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
The combo updater would require you to reboot that Yosemite partition. If it is already not booting, the combo updater won't fix that.
If you have a bootable Yosemite installer, maybe on a flash drive, you can boot to that, and reinstall the system on your external partition. You should expect that will fix it.

Riwam

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2014
Basel, Switzerland
I've cloned my internal drive to one of the two partitions of an external drive. Honestly, I can't recall for sure if I was able to boot from that external drive.

I've since done a clean install of Mac OS 10. 11 (El Capitan) on the second external partition. Then, I used Migration Asst. to update the 2nd partition. This is to serve as staging for upgrading an iMac (now 11 years old) AND to have a back-up of Yosemite should the El Cap not be as good (I've read that older iMacs actually perform a bit better with it).

When I do try to boot from the external 10.10 external partition, I get the 'do not enter' aka 'ghost buster' icon.

I am able to boot fine from the El Cap 10.11 external partition just fine. (Also, the internal Yosemite drive boots fine too.)

So.
Do I need to re-clone my internal drive to ext. partition 1? Or just run the 10.10.5 Combo Update? Or... something else (short of buying a new Mac)?

Thanks!
I am not sure if it might help you but I have had good experiences with DiskWarrior. It must be run from a different volume to the faulty one.
It helped me on many occasions avoiding me to have to reinstall a MacOS which did not boot.
Ed

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.