Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

applekid

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 3, 2003
I'm going to get an X-Box 360 this evening, but I'm wondering if I should invest in an extended warranty.

I haven't seen an X-Box die in-person, however the Internet echoes with stories about dead X-Box's. How is Microsoft about repairing/replacing 360's? Is there a certain fee associated after the warranty period? How long is the manufacturer's warranty on the 360?

Jovian9

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2003
Planet Zebes
Well. My disc drive was scratching my games recently. I had a 15 minute conversation with Xbox support, mailed it off, had it back in 10 days, and got a free month of Xbox Live for my troubles. So I had a great experience with getting mine repaired.
I have no idea about fees outside the 1 year warranty. I bought the 2 year extended warranty for mine.

IscariotJ

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2004
UK
I'm going to get an X-Box 360 this evening, but I'm wondering if I should invest in an extended warranty.

I haven't seen an X-Box die in-person, however the Internet echoes with stories about dead X-Box's. How is Microsoft about repairing/replacing 360's? Is there a certain fee associated after the warranty period? How long is the manufacturer's warranty on the 360?

Oddly, myself and two colleagues were discussing the 360's rate of failure, after I said that I may be interesting in getting one. Both guys have one; both of them have had to return them for repair. What's worse, each of them knows about 4-6 people who have had their 360 repaired.

Hopefully, later builds should be better.

Sorta put me off from getting one, now. GoW *does* look good, though....

applekid

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 3, 2003
Well, I got my 360 last night. I ended up getting it at Target and getting a 3 year extended warranty for $29. A good investment, I believe, especially considering Microsoft sells their warranty for I think $60. My 360 was manufactured in August 2006. I hope that's a good production date. Definitely not the quiet DVD drive. Thing is loud, but not very hot. My Wii actually feels warmer.

Certainly a lack of responses in my thread. :confused: I was expecting a good page. Oh well. Thanks for the two replies :)

Echinda

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2003
In store warranties are a risky proposition. The warranty provider is usually a third party and it can be hard to hold them accountable for anything. My 360 died (Oct '06 build date) and Microsoft has made no fuss about honouring the warranty. Just a few questions over the phone and then six days later a box arrived for me to ship it back in.

Now let's see if they fix it ...

ReanimationLP

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2005
On the moon.
Heh, I looked into the Target warranty and I'm guessing they repair them, as I also see them selling used repaired 360s. o.o

With my stores replacement plan, they just swap the main unit itself out, letting you keep your original accessories and hard disk. If an accessory is broken, they give you a new one.

applekid

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 3, 2003
Well, here is the Target agreement: http://targetextendedservice.com/TermsConditions.aspx

It sounds like they could repair at one of their facilities, like Microsoft and cover shipping and all, but I doubt this third party company has any experience in Xbox 360 console repair. Of course, if they just send me $400 gift card (if my Xbox ever decided to go kaput), things would just go swimmingly :D

kuebby

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2007
MD

Definitely get it. When your 360 dies either next week or 13 months from now you'll be glad to be able to exchange it in store rather than sending it in. (If you're not set on a store I've heard very good things about Costco waranties.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.