Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jongstar

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 18, 2014
I've tried 3 extension cables for the wired apple earbuds. They all produce a constant interference on the microphone of the earbuds (static noise).

I'm desperately trying to use the wired earbuds with my mac (positioned far away under my desk) for video calls, since they are the only good mic quality I've found. Has anyone succeeded in doing this? What were your solutions?

Thanks for any insights.

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
I found this on Amazon and reviewers are reporting it works fine with their iPhone earbuds/mic:

There are a lot of others like it too that seem to have good reviews.

If it doesn't have to be an all-in-one (headphones + mic) solution, a good lav mic should do the trick. I use this one:

Of course, you'll have to use separate headphones. I have an external audio interface, so I can plug the lav mic into my iMac directly and then use my external interface for the headphones (or use the external for both mic and headphones).

Jongstar

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 18, 2014
I found this on Amazon and reviewers are reporting it works fine with their iPhone earbuds/mic:

This is the one I currently have. It produces the same constant noise I have with other extension cables.

- And yeah, I have considered using a separate microphone but it looks mighty stupid to have that thing pinned on my shirt in video calls.. This also requires a reliable audio splitter for it to fit in my Mac Mini, and so the story with static noises begins all over.

I don't understand why no one else is complaining about this problem? I tried it with 2 different Apple headphones, same effect.

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
This is the one I currently have. It produces the same constant noise I have with other extension cables.

- And yeah, I have considered using a separate microphone but it looks mighty stupid to have that thing pinned on my shirt in video calls.. This also requires a reliable audio splitter for it to fit in my Mac Mini, and so the story with static noises begins all over.

I don't understand why no one else is complaining about this problem? I tried it with 2 different Apple headphones, same effect.

Hmm, strange that other reviewers are saying there's no issue. Have you considered trying an over-the-ear headset with mic? Yes, I know you might think it would look "stupid" but I've seen people do this on video calls before and I think nothing of it. It's not a fashion show, lol!

stiligFox

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2009
Silly question, but are you sure your earbuds are genuine apple?

There are two types of earphones - OMTP and CTIA. The only difference is that these swap ground and mic; most modern devices use CTIA except for things like PlayStation 4 and other devices.

If you try to use OMTP earphones with a CTIA device or vice versa, you might get that static on the line - I experienced the same exact thing when trying to use my apple head phones with a PS4.

On that note as well, Apple added some signal stuff to the mic of their CTIA earphones so they’re not even following the standard fully, so there’s a good chance that the extension cable are messing with the expected signal from the microphone.

it’s hard to put into words what I mean, but I have a feeling this is where the issue is coming from.

The other thing is that the extension cable is acting as an antenna and picking up interference. Have you tried disabling any Bluetooth or WiFi devices around you, as well as turning off as many electronic devices just to rule out that possibility? A cheaply made and non shielded cable could be picking up noise that way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.