Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Terraform2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 2, 2017
Hello!
I am in need of hardware and workflow advice.
My Current System: macpro 5,1 / 2 x 3.33GHz 6-core / 64GB RAM / GTX 980 Ti 6GB
However I am thinking of switching my GPU to the AMD RX580 8GB for concern explained below.

I mainly edit 2k & 4k video footage. I have one (very important) project (feature film) which was edited in FCP7 and I am looking to create a self contained bootable backup OS, Project and Content drive that I can access if/when I need to get in there again.

GPU Switch concerns - I recently posted in this forum asking for advice about switching my current NVIDA card to the AMD RX580 8GB card as I am hoping that the AMD card will give me the boot screen that the NVIDA does not. And with that boot screen I again hope that my external HDD can then boot with my project on it.

Assuming that I can work out the whole GPU boot screen issue:

1. Has anyone done something similar to what I am proposing? (either with FCP 7 or another Legacy project)
  2. Any suggestions on the best way to set up and Bootable external enclosure for something like this?
  3. As the project size is sorta huge (+/- 8TB) I was thinking of getting a multi bay JBOD enclosure and then having carbon cloned copies of each drive in storage in case I loose a single HDD.. My concern with RAID is I would need 2 enclosures and the RAID would need to be cloned (for proper back up) or am i mistaken?
  4. OS Suggestions? As I would only be using this for FCP 7 is it best to install a very old OS or do you think 10.10 or so would suffice?

Any other questions or concerns on this topic are welcomed!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.