Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ChairmanWill

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 16, 2022
I have an Asus PA329Q monitor. Connected to my iMac Retina 5k 27inch 2019. It is connected via Thunderbolt to HDMI adapter. I’m on Monterey 12.1. Although the box of the monitor says “4k 60Hz” I am unable to access this setting through displays preferences. It always seems to default to 30hz. I am also having trouble with the resolution settings.

When I first bought the monitor and plugged it in I was amazed at the minuscule size of the text, it was completely unreadable to me. For example, the text in the menu bar at the top is about 3mm high, although the panel is not physically that much larger than the iMac. So, I quickly set it to one of the scaled settings.

Since then I had read that using the scaled display setting would affect performance, and I have recently noticed issues where the contextual pointer of my mouse wasn’t behaving as expected. For example, when I hover the mouse over the side of a Safari window, it doesn’t always transform into a double headed arrow. I also notice that when hitting CMD + space for spotlight the autocomplete doesn’t work, so if I type “PHO” it sometimes doesn’t present me with the option of Photoshop. I find this issue is intermittent, it goes away when I reboot the machine, although always comes back. It is not so noticeable in Photoshop, but very inconvenient in Lightroom. I had also read that this was caused when a scaled display was in use and the GPU was activated.

I am not sure if this is since upgrading to Monterey, but I experimented with setting the monitor to the default setting through displays preferences. However, this seems to default to 1920x1080p 30hz. This doesn’t seem right. I’ve tried EasyRes, doesn’t help. If I use EasyRes instead of display settings and manually set it to the monitor’s stated setting the minuscule text is back. Whether I select the higher resolution in the 2x and 1x options in EasyRes it produces identical results.

There is a further issue, that the displays preference setting on my mac also gives me colour profile options, and I’m now worried that I’ve set that wrong too. I would normally have the monitor itself set to Adobe RGB mode, but the display preferences has the option of PA329 and Adobe (and others, it defaulted to sRBG once). I assume PA329 is correct because the display is factory calibrated, but at this point I’m pulling my hair out.

I find it very difficult to understand the technical advice from Asus. For example, they don’t tell you what any of the default settings are supposed to be. I accidentally changed something called “trace free” and have no idea what the default should be.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
check your cable is a high bandwidth cable.

not all HDMI cables are equal. no they don't need gold plating or whatever, but low bandwidth cables might not sync at higher speeds required for higher res/refresh rate. and this may vary depending on the device(s) (or even the OS running on the devices) using the cable.

ChairmanWill

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 16, 2022
check your cable is a high bandwidth cable.

not all HDMI cables are equal. no they don't need gold plating or whatever, but low bandwidth cables might not sync at higher speeds required for higher res/refresh rate. and this may vary depending on the device(s) (or even the OS running on the devices) using the cable.
Thanks, perhaps it isn't. Although I don't know how to check the quality of my cable, I have just checked and the windows box I am running in there via displayport is running at 3840x2160 and 59.337hz, looks totally fine. I have ordered a displayport to thunderbolt cable that says 60hz on the description.

I would also say this monitor has had problems with the HDMI input - it sometimes doesn't recognise a HDMI input at all. I would send it back, but I can't afford to be without one for the unpredictable length of time they'll have it at the repair centre.

Do you think this could also be affecting the colour profile options? I am not very technically knowledgeable, but I am a photographer and am worried I've ballsed that up now too. Is the monitor's colour profile transmitted through the cable to displays preferences? I can't work out whether it should be set to PA329 or Adobe RGB.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
You want to be using a USBc (Mac end) to displayport (display end) cable/adapter.
Something like this:

Or this:

ChairmanWill

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 16, 2022
You want to be using a USBc (Mac end) to displayport (display end) cable/adapter.
Something like this:

Or this:

Thanks, I've just ordered one. Possibly a daft question, but should I assume from this that the badge on the side of the monitor that says "HDMI 60hz" is dependent on either a better cable or a Windows box? Is HDMI in general lower-performing than display port?

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
Display Port usually don't carry audio! HDMI which is proprietary does however but in charges a large fee, even to other manufactures! Display port is open sourced and free to use that's why it is being adopted by manufacturers! The newest version can do 8K with the correct cables at 30Hz though! They say they working to make at least 60-120 pretty soon!

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
Display Port usually don't carry audio!
All Macs introduced in 2010 and later provide audio via DisplayPort.

The newest version can do 8K with the correct cables at 30Hz though! They say they working to make at least 60-120 pretty soon!
DisplayPort 2.0 will do 8K60 without DSC.

Is HDMI in general lower-performing than display port?
DisplayPort generally "does" higher pixel clocks and thus, resolutions and refresh rates than HDMI.

Reactions: ChairmanWill

ChairmanWill

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 16, 2022
DisplayPort generally "does" higher pixel clocks and thus, resolutions and refresh rates than HDMI.

Thanks, when I finally got hold of Asus tech support they recommended either display port or trying a new HDMI cable, although weirdly also said "best resolution is at 30hz"

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
Thanks, when I finally got hold of Asus tech support they recommended either display port or trying a new HDMI cable, although weirdly also said "best resolution is at 30hz"
The monitor has DisplayPort 1.2 and HDMI 2.0 inputs according to its spec page. Both will do 3840×2160 at 60 Hz. But on a Mac, DisplayPort is generally less troublesome.

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
DisplayPort 1.2 allows for 3840x2160 60Hz 10bpc RGB.
HDMI 2.0 can do the same but only up to 8bpc RGB. 10bpc requires 4:2:2 or 4:2:0.

Reactions: Amethyst1

ChairmanWill

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 16, 2022
Update: I purchased a displayport cable, and 60hz is now available to me. Thank you for the advice.

When choosing default resolution in "displays preferences", it still sets the resolution too low though, so I am having to scale it. Is there anything that can be done to remedy this issue? I would like to avoid scaling to get around the apparent glitch to the pointer when the GPU activates

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
When choosing default resolution in "displays preferences", it still sets the resolution too low though, so I am having to scale it. Is there anything that can be done to remedy this issue?
Presumably “Default” is 3840×2160 without scaling then. Scaling in macOS is the only way to make the whole UI larger without sacrificing a great deal of image quality.

You could run the display at a lower than the native resolution and have it upscale that to 3840×2160 but it’s going to look terrible. If you want to try this nonetheless, open the Displays preference pane, hold the Alt/Option key while clicking Scaled and enable the Show low-resolution modes checkbox. Then select a resolution which has (low resolution) written next to it.

Last edited:

ChairmanWill

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 16, 2022
Presumably “Default” is 3840×2160 without scaling then. Scaling in macOS is the only way to make the whole UI larger without sacrificing a great deal of image quality.

You could run the display at a lower than the native resolution and have it upscale that to 3840×2160 but it’s going to look terrible. If you want to try this nonetheless, open the Displays preference pane, hold the Alt/Option key while clicking Scaled and enable the Show low-resolution modes checkbox. Then select a resolution which has (low resolution) written next to it.

That's what I had thought, but when I choose "default" it is setting the resolution at 1920x1080. With a windows box plugged in windows is correctly detecting the 3840x2160 default. I think I even prefer just having the option to make the UI bigger, albeit the other downsides to the windows box mean it's a spare machine.

My issue is that I would prefer to avoid scaling, but not by running this 4k monitor at that artificially lower resolution. I would like to avoid scaling due to its apparent relation to the pointer glitch (and for no other reason, really) as this can make both Word and Lightroom unusable, because it appears to break a lot of context-dependant pointer behaviour.

I also feel that prior to Monterey, it seemed to detect the default resolution. I have tried resetting SMC etc. although am not tech literate enough to know whether that's even a real solution or just voodoo

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
That's what I had thought, but when I choose "default" it is setting the resolution at 1920x1080.
Ah, I misread. Sorry. Usually, on a "4K" monitor, Default means the monitor is run at full 3840×2160 (can you check the monitor's on-screen menu to confirm?) but everything is rendered twice as wide and twice as tall (200% scaling) so it looks like a 1920×1080 monitor but a lot sharper. You can also check by taking a screenshot of the desktop (Cmd-Shift-3): are its dimensions 3840×2160?

My issue is that I would prefer to avoid scaling, but not by running this 4k monitor at that artificially lower resolution. I would like to avoid scaling due to its apparent relation to the pointer glitch (and for no other reason, really) as this can make both Word and Lightroom unusable, because it appears to break a lot of context-dependant pointer behaviour.
That pointer glitch is weird; I've had a similar thing on my Dell UP2715K (5K) monitor when running it from an NVIDIA GPU, but not on an AMD GPU or "4K" monitor. Do you also get this glitch at the Default (200% a.k.a. 1920×1080) setting, or just when running at one of the other options?

ChairmanWill

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 16, 2022
Ah, I misread. Sorry. Usually, on a "4K" monitor, Default means the monitor is run at full 3840×2160 (can you check the monitor's on-screen menu to confirm?) but everything is rendered twice as wide and twice as tall (200% scaling) so it looks like a 1920×1080 monitor but a lot sharper. You can also check by taking a screenshot of the desktop (Cmd-Shift-3): are its dimensions 3840×2160?

That pointer glitch is weird; I've had a similar thing on my Dell UP2715K (5K) monitor when running it from an NVIDIA GPU, but not on an AMD GPU or "4K" monitor. Do you also get this glitch at the Default (200% a.k.a. 1920×1080) setting, or just when running at one of the other options?
The hz issue definitely was the cable - i switched that to my PC and am stuck at 30Hz there now.

Screenshot at default res says (when inspected in Preview)

Colour Model: RGB
Depth: 8
DPI Height: 144
DPI Width: 144
Has Alpha: 1
Pixel Height: 1,084
Pixel Width: 1,921
Profile Name: sRGB IEC61966-2.1

Yes, the glitch is bizarre. I thought I was going mad. I am not sure whether it occurs at the default res as it is intermittent and I find that too low to work on Photoshop so I have to run it scaled the whole time. I *feel* that the glitch is also caused by heavy Safari usage (I run a lot of google collab notebooks and generally have many tabs open) or Photoshop, although photoshop GPU usage is not very significant. I am a demanding Photoshop user though. Large files, lots of filters and smart objects. It might also be that when i am working on art I generally have Safari and Photoshop running at once, as I need the tutorials.

ChairmanWill

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 16, 2022
Update: switching to DP has fixed the issue with refresh rate, although still running a scaled resolution according to the iMac. It has also fixed the pointer glitch, unexpectedly.

Thanks for the advice everybody

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
Update: switching to DP has fixed the issue with refresh rate, although still running a scaled resolution according to the iMac. It has also fixed the pointer glitch, unexpectedly.
Another case of HDMI not quite working properly... Glad you got your problem fixed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.