Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacBook Pro 16 2019 User

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 1, 2021
Hey guys new to this forum! What brought me here is I recently started using an external display with my 2019 MacBook Pro 16 inch. I am currently running the latest Mac OS on it. Just this week I bought a Dell S2721DGF external display to use as an extended screen. Annoyingly I am experiencing flickering every now and then where the monitor screen goes black for a few seconds then comes back to normal! I have tried every troubleshoot I can find online. Reading existing treads and YouTube videos on Mac external display issues, I understand that there has been quite the range of problems with external displays of all types and brands!

Just wanted to get everyones thoughts on what I should do as it seems like a Mac OS issue rather than external monitor one? Should I return my external monitor for an alternative model/ brand or just wait it out for an Apple patch? Also curious if anyone else is still experiencing this issue now? I saw some people had this issue and more earlier in 2021 but wondering if its just me now (as of October 2021!!!)?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.