Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jhorrocks

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 22, 2016
I've noticed other people in these forums with external display problems on their MacBook Pro. I am one of these people, but this is a strange one...

I'm running Boot Camp / Windows 10 on an early 2013 15" MacBook Pro with all the trimmings, maxed out with everything I could buy at the time (16GB RAM, SSD HD, 1GB VRAM, etc.). I primarily use Photoshop with an external display connected while I'm at my home office (Apple Cinematic 23" display). My problems didn't start until I recently upgraded from Windows 7 / Photoshop CC 2014 to Windows 10 / Photoshop CC 2015.. so I'm convinced it's a software problem... the problem is, whose software??

The problem:

With my laptop lid closed, running only the external display, Photoshop CC 2015is slow and choppy - primarily the scrubby zoom using my Wacom tablet and the polygon lasso tool - two things that I use heavily in my workflow.

With the laptop lid open, running both displays simultaneously (which also keeps the resolution the same on my external display), everything runs smoothly - scrubby zoom works fine on the external display, as well as polygon lasso tool being snappy quick. Close the laptop lid - boom - problem is back.

The polygon lasso problem doesn't exist in CS6 (still have a copy on my laptop for times when newer isn't necessarily better), but the scrubby zoom problem does.

I use a dedicated external drive for a scratch disk.
I've played with all the performance settings in Photoshop (actually, turning off GPU fixes the polygon lasso tool, but breaks my scrubby zoom).
I've updated all my drivers - wacom, video card, etc.
I've tried half a dozen or so suggestions from other people in forums who have experienced anything remotely like this (turning off Windows Ink, changing Wacom settings in control panel, etc.)

I know, I know... I could just leave my laptop lid open while I work, but it's a distraction and kind of annoying that I need to put excess stress on my hardware just to be able to work in Photoshop.

Any suggestions for what could be going on would be greatly appreciated. I'm not switching to Mac OS, because I have too many bits and pieces running in Windows to warrant that. And a new computer just isn't in the budget. I'm convinced this is just shoddy programming (Adobe?), so I'm hopeful that there's a real answer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.