Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 14, 2008
UK
I recently formatted an external spinner with 4 partitions to clone various drives on my Mac Pro for offsite storage.
In retrospect, I would have preferred them to be encrypted (personal paranoia....🙄), if leaving at work.

Reading the Apple support docs suggests to erase with Disk Utility as encrypted.
All volumes have already been cloned (some took quite a while), so was trying to avoid re-cloning.
But then further it says you can select in finder and encrypt....

This disk is in HFS+, so presume will be converted to APFS (Mojave).

Question is can I do the whole disk at once from finder, or do you need to select each volume (and maybe give different pw...)

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
You'll have to encrypt each volume separately, and the volume format will remain HFS+. To do it, just right click on each drive and select "Encrypt". It will take some time, maybe even days, but let it run to completion.

Reactions: MarkC426

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 14, 2008
UK
You'll have to encrypt each volume separately, and the volume format will remain HFS+. To do it, just right click on each drive and select "Encrypt". It will take some time, maybe even days, but let it run to completion.
If it's going to take days....it may be quicker to reformat as encrypted using DU.
Then redo the clones with SuperDuper.

edit: in retrospect, I don't think this process will work.
All my clones are done with SD. Subsequent clones are 'smart updates' (i.e. only what's changed).
All source drives are NOT encrypted, so cloning to an encrypted volume probably will not work, surely they need to be the same format....?

Last edited:

mattspace

macrumors 68040
Jun 5, 2013
Australia
If it's going to take days....it may be quicker to reformat as encrypted using DU.
Then redo the clones with SuperDuper.

edit: in retrospect, I don't think this process will work.
All my clones are done with SD. Subsequent clones are 'smart updates' (i.e. only what's changed).
All source drives are NOT encrypted, so cloning to an encrypted volume probably will not work, surely they need to be the same format....?

I've copied HFS+ Time Machine volumes from unencrypted volumes, to encrypted volumes - ie that were encrypted while empty, THEN made into Time Machine targets, using SuperDuper. As far as I can tell, the encryption is mount / unmount based. Once the drive is unlocked and mounted, the data itself behaves like a non-encrypted drive.

Dave is active and responds on Mastodon if you wanted to ask him.

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 14, 2008
UK
I have started the first volume...
Is there anywhere that shows progress?

MarkC426

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 14, 2008
UK
Ok I gave up on this....
After 2 hours 35% of 60GB was encrypted...:confused:.....and my other drive is an almost full 4TB

Working this out [10gb/hr = 100gb/10hrs = 1tb/100hrs = 4TB/400hrs].....🤣
That's approx 16 days continuous...I don't think so.

I have reformatted to APFS and redone my SD clone as normal (60GB data in 12 minutes)
Thanks for everyone's help though..😀

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.