Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

elliots11

macrumors member
Original poster
May 23, 2011
I have a 2009 Mac Pro that is recognizing external hard drives as internal (this has happened for a while), and my boot drive now has a time machine icon on it (which is new). Is there a way to get OS X to recognize these drives properly automatically as it should already? I'll even take switching them manually even though that's not ideal.

I don't want misidentified external drives to be automatically backed up to the Time Machine Backup as it'll eat up all the space with extraneous files or the backup will fail, and it will if they're recognized as internal. There's way more external storage than my Time Machine drive can hold.

Also, I have new external drives come through all the time from clients, so it could be a real problem if those are also recognized as internal and backed up to TM.

My Mac pro 2009 is 8 Core/32GB Ram/multiple GPU/boots from an SSD (placed where the Superdrive used to be) running on El Capitan 10.11.
- has an internal RAID (3 drives),
- another internal HDD, and
- multiple external drives primarily connected over a USB3 adapter card (Inateck - link) that plugs into a 7 port USB3 hub .

I use this computer for work, so new drives come and go often. It's nearing retirement but I need it to work well for a little while longer.

The main issues I'm having are the drives being mislabeled, and recently input lag on the keyboard and Safari running slow. It also fails to sleep often, but I'm not sweating that. I want to run Onyx on it but before I do I want to have a good working Time Machine backup situation.

My theory is that the Inateck Card recognizes external HDD's as Internal, but I don't know for sure, I'm pretty sure I've plugged drives into it and had it recognized as external before, but right now every HDD is recognized as internal (bare drive desktop icons). I plugged in a thumb drive to the front USB2 ports on the Mac Pro and it was recognized as an external by the icon, and also recognized as external when plugged into USB3 ports. It's very confusing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.