Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Alvin777

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 31, 2003
Hi. Did macOS Monterey ban other external drives from mounting on it? My external drives (a type of enclosure with extra USB slots), including my flashdrive plugged to it mounts on Windows 11 (Boot Camp) but for some reason not on macOS Monterey, when I check which are mounted using Disk Utility.

How can this be fixed? The only resident apps that is not from Apple that's running on the menu bar are: Avast, Malwarebytes and Wacom.

Thank you.
God bless, Rev. 21:4

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
Are they listed in Disk Utility.app? Do you have "Show all Devices" selected from the View menu?

What does the command "diskutil list" in Terminal.app show?

Show some screenshots.

What type of enclosure? What type of drives in the enclosure?

Reactions: Alvin777

Alvin777

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 31, 2003
Hi. Thanks weirdly enough, after typing Diskutil List they also suddenly mounted (saw it on the Disk Utility as as well w/ Show All Devices selected), also as a bonus, I can now click on the Bluetooth preferences and Display in System Preferences.

I wonder how typing Disk Utility on Terminal fixed the mounting issues for external devices and also fixed the System Preferences (just the Bluetooth and Display) even though they're not related?

Thanks again. It's a major bug I will report via Feedback app with the diagnostic files.

God bless, Rev. 21:4

Alvin777

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 31, 2003
Correction: only the Bluetooth was fixed as a bonus but not the Display
Screen Shot 2021-12-06 at 3.17.08 PM.png

Alvin777

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 31, 2003
Hi, I got to fix this Display issue by clicking the icon while clicking the Option key.
I wish macOS would be more robust than this. Big Sur and Monterey are becoming the most unstable, bug prone OS from Apple (in history).

white7561

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2016
World
Your macos installation is being weird. Like the system preferences shouldn't have any problems like that. I would recommend a clean install. Or at least full data wipe using the new Monterey's wipe data. I think something is wrong with your installation

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
What Mac are you using? I had some preference panel problems for a 2013 iMac which had a super slow fusion drive. I fixed it by getting ride of the fusion drive and replacing the SSD and the HDD.

Alvin777

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 31, 2003
What Mac are you using? I had some preference panel problems for a 2013 iMac which had a super slow fusion drive. I fixed it by getting ride of the fusion drive and replacing the SSD and the HDD.
Late 2015 5K iMac. It may be when that macOS Monterey isn't compatible fully with Boot Camp Windows 11 and when I boot back to macOS, it gets confused. I remember it only happens after using Windows 11 Boot Camp.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.