Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ahmadof

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 23, 2003
can anyone recommend an external DVD burner that works well with OS X? Specifically, one that intergrates well with the iLife programs. Thanks

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
You'll need a hack to get iDVD to "see" external burners.

I am very, very happy with my LaCie d2 16X dual-layer external burner, which comes with Toast 6 Titanium, all for $199 at the Apple Store. Same front size as all d2 drives, about 50% deeper than the "normal" d2 drives (fits nicely on the LaCie desktop rack with my 120GB and 250GB LaCie d2 externals).

Talking Donkey

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2004
External DVD Writer with G3

Does anyone know if the LaCie drives will work on a G3?

I'm using a G3 iBook 700MHz with 256MB Ram.

Thanks.

aptmunich

macrumors member
May 29, 2004
I got the LaCie Porsche design 16x dual layer burner (couldn't get the regular LaCie over here and it was cheaper...) and it works really well!

dontpanic

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2004
i was thinking of buying one of the 16x lacie drives

are they worth it?

has anyone had any problems with burning etc

also are there any solid, reliable external drives for under £100

xyian

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2004
PDX
The Lightscribe burners aren't out yet but I definitely have my cash set aside for one. They look like such a neat idea.

On topic, the LaCie's are pretty much made for the Mac so I'd recommend them as an external burner. Plus, the cases look really cool.

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
rdhatfield3 said:
Has anyone tried the litescribe on the new lacie burners?

Can't wait for LightScribe either... I'm only hoping Apple will add that feature to all computers in their next rev. Imagine burning a CD with iTunes and having album arts + tracks written on the label, or making a movie and then having a label made from the main menu/title image (or something). It would be perfect for laptops too (no need to carry extra hardware).

Artful Dodger

macrumors 68020
Hello, if you look at my other post on the LaCie there is some info that I got from LaCie and some cd/dvd manfs. about the type of disc you need.
The burner won't be out untill mid March and as LaCie's web page says they are taking pre-orders.
Quote:

kwajaln
Artful Dodger, I had planned on buying one of the LaCie lightscribe external burners in the near future, but you mentioned something that caught my attention. Are there only certain blanks that are compatible with the lightscribe capability? I *assumed* any blank without a surfce design would have done the trick, but I guess not. Thanks!

Yes only certain media will work, TDK, HP (it's their drive in it), Verbatim and only the "+" R media since none of the companies are making any other media as of yet. This was from about 3 or 4 e-mails to different companies that were given to me by LaCie. Also the discs are of a gray scale "etched" quality when burned.
You will have to look for the Lightscribe logo on the side of the dvd/cd cake packs or what ever they pack them in.
Hope this helps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.