Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

agentbob

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 24, 2004
Hey all,

Tried posting in another thread but got no response so trying to open a new one.

I'm looking to buy an external enclosure + dvd-r for my macs. I've currently got a tibook 667 and an imac g5... I've had trouble in the past with an LG drive in no-name enclosure...

The macs I tried it on would see it as a dvd/cd reader, but wouldn't burn to it using patchburn nor toast. It also wouldn't boot off cds/dvds sometimes.

The new drive I'm thinking to get will be a pioneer. I'm just wondering what models/brands of enclosures people have had success with, and also if pioneer drives work fine as well.

Thanks,

Dan

agentbob

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 24, 2004
Artful Dodger said:
How much is the drive your looking at and do you have software like Toast for the burner? Also do you have a FW cable?

The drive is cheap, $60 CAD for the Pioneer 110D 16x DVD-R drive, and enclosures are around $40-50. The Lacie drive on the other hand is $140 CAD and only 8x.

Thinking about getting a simple firewire case with an oxford 911 chipset and putting the Pioneer 110D in there... any thoughts or people with a similar setup?

ammon

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2005
Colorado
I have a cheap Bytecc external case. (Oxford 911 chipset) It has both firewire and usb2. I put a harddrive in one and a Lite-On DVD burner in the other.

Both work great for windows and mac.

Artful Dodger

macrumors 68020
agentbob
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artful Dodger
How much is the drive your looking at and do you have software like Toast for the burner? Also do you have a FW cable?

The drive is cheap, $60 CAD for the Pioneer 110D 16x DVD-R drive, and enclosures are around $40-50. The Lacie drive on the other hand is $140 CAD and only 8x.

They must give a different drive then :confused: Mine burns at 16x and DL at 6x but hell that's a great price in Can. money for you ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.