Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

watakoola

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2010
Australia
I'm beginning to think you are now trolling...

"If mirroring doesn’t activate before login that means the login screen won’t show up on the display. Most people I think would consider that a problem."

Yes. It is a problem. Dur. We already know that.

It’s blistering obvious ‘most people’ won’t like it, but… it gets them logged in until Apple sorts out eGPU support for the Mac mini.

I’m not Apple - or Jesus - but I have offered you a method that will enable you to be productive on an eGPU-equipped mini.

Stephen.R

Suspended
Nov 2, 2018
Thailand
I'm beginning to think you are now trolling...
... You asked, emphasis mine:
"mirroring doesn't activate until after you login" - why is that important? Serious question as I'm curious to hear.

And my response is, it's important because most people would consider not being able to see the login screen a serious problem, and not really "a method that will enable you to be productive".

I asked some basic questions to understand the aspects of your setup, and you've responded at every step as if it's some personal attack on you, and with confusing "the only downside is X"... and then separately acknowledging that other negative effects are observed.

IngerMan

macrumors 68020
Feb 21, 2011
Michigan
I have eGPU setup with one monitor. FileVault on. I used to be able to blind password on restart. Now I have to turn off the eGPU and plug in the HDMi to the MM for restart. I then turn on the eGPU and disconnect the mm hdmi.

I wish it would just work seamlessly like my previous experience with Apple.

watakoola

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2010
Australia
... You asked, emphasis mine:

And my response is, it's important because most people would consider not being able to see the login screen a serious problem, and not really "a method that will enable you to be productive".

I asked some basic questions to understand the aspects of your setup, and you've responded at every step as if it's some personal attack on you, and with confusing "the only downside is X"... and then separately acknowledging that other negative effects are observed.
Personal attack? Heh. Nah, far from it.

The world has other ‘serious problems’ – not getting a boot screen on a Mac mini, whilst an annoyance, is not a ‘serious problem’ for me. Maybe ‘most people’ whoever they are, would disagree. They are entitled to their opinion as are you.

I do not see anything confusing with my stating facts about the downsides. If I were saying these kludges were ‘wonderful’ I could understand your chagrin. Would you prefer I didn’t state any negatives?

Remember, using Scenario A, I get the Apple logo, boot screen progress bar, login window. All I lack (which you would probably call a ‘serious problem’) is having my main display running off the eGPU.

I can live with this. It is not affecting my life in any dramatic fashion. Is it sub-optimal? Sure! But... I'm getting my work done in the meantime on this fast little computer. Besides, I rarely restart as backups occur overnight.

But… it sure as hell is better than having an eGPU’s fan screaming in my ears. So, I am patiently waiting for Apple to release the Catalina update. YMMV.

IvanW

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2018
I have eGPU setup with one monitor. FileVault on. I used to be able to blind password on restart. Now I have to turn off the eGPU and plug in the HDMi to the MM for restart. I then turn on the eGPU and disconnect the mm hdmi.

So the HDMI connect/disconnect is now a must? it would be bearable if turning off/on eGPU is enough to get MM to boot..
Bummer! :(

Using HDMI emulator or running MM HDMI to the monitor may workaround but still, the drawback is macOS will see a phantom and useless second display.

watakoola

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2010
Australia

Ugh. Makes me glad I'm using two displays so I don't have your problem with plugging/unplugging.

As you may have (ahem) read, I have no issue with blind password. Do you have room/inclination to use two monitors?
[automerge]1584751967[/automerge]
So the HDMI connect/disconnect is now a must? it would be bearable if turning off/on eGPU is enough to get MM to boot..
Bummer! :(

Using HDMI emulator or running MM HDMI to the monitor may workaround but still, the drawback is macOS will see a phantom and useless second display.
Good thought. I didn't try the HDMI emulator on a single screen setup - that might work. Worth a try?

"macOS will see a phantom and useless second display" - yeah, but... at least you can then use your darn computer! ;)

Reactions: IvanW

IngerMan

macrumors 68020
Feb 21, 2011
Michigan
Ugh. Makes me glad I'm using two displays so I don't have your problem with plugging/unplugging.

As you may have (ahem) read, I have no issue with blind password. Do you have room/inclination to use two monitors?
[automerge]1584751967[/automerge]

Im using a 38" monitor next to a 55" TV. It is easier for me just to reach down power off the eGPU and reach over and plug or unplug the HDMi cable vs using the TV as a 2nd monitor. If I would of went 30" or 34" I might of got 2 monitors.

I used to be able to have the mm plugged in to HDMI monitor and monitor DP plugged in to the eGPU, then I would switch the monitor between DP and HDMi after login switch monitor back to DP. Now with that process it sits idle after I enter my password with the desktop visible, but it just becomes a pretty picture to look at. I then have to power off the eGPU and restart.

Once up and running I can have anything plugged in and switch between the two ports. Now I know this its workable but what a PITA it was the first time I restarted and had to trouble shoot a method to get it to work. Then a few more times to find the method.

Hopefully an update will fix this, until then its good to know the work around.

1) Make sure your Monitor is Plugged into MM HDMi
2) Turn off eGPU no need to unplug eGPU
3) Restart or Power up
4) After restart complete Turn on eGPU
5) You can leave as is or unplug HDMi from MM

Last edited:
Reactions: JaysonW

watakoola

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2010
Australia
10.15.4 - Same sh*t, different day...

No fix on my setup of Mac mini->OWC Mercury Helios FX 650->Sapphire RX580
Still no boot screen. eGPU fan hammering away most of the time.

JaysonW

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2019
Austin, TX
1) Make sure your Monitor is Plugged into MM HDMi
2) Turn off eGPU no need to unplug eGPU
3) Restart or Power up
4) After restart complete Turn on eGPU
5) You can leave as is or unplug HDMi from MM
---------------------------------------------------------
Ingerman,

Thanks for this. After updating to 10.15.4 on my 2018 MM, I lost my external screen, Dell U3415W, via Razer Core X Vega 64. I followed your steps and was able to restore my screen. (Note to self, don't ever update right away - wait!)

Reactions: IngerMan

MevetS

Cancelled
Dec 27, 2018
I have a 2018 Mac Mini, running MacOS 10.15.4. I have a Razor Core X with a Sapphire Pulse RX 580 running two ancient Apple displays (Cinema Display and Cinema HD). I have an HDMI plug in the Mac Mini HDMI port. The HDMI 'display' is mirrored to my main display. I have the system set to Automatic Login, meaning I do not get nor need a sign in screen. The system boots right up, no plugging/unplugging or turning off/on my eGPU.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.