Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tehdude

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 7, 2012
i recently got a hard drive enclousure for my old macbook pro hard drive. the hard drive was working fine and i was transferring my files on a my new macbook pro. at some point it didn't want to copy a file so i decided to eject it and then i got an error saying that it was in use, but i couldn't find what program it was so i decided to force eject it. now when i plug it back in it doesn't show up, not even in disk utility.

i've looked on google but i couldn't find any answers. any help would be greatly appreciated, because i really need to get to my old logic files.

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
Open Disk Utility and see if it appears in the list on the left (it will probably be greyed out if it does). If it shows there, click on it and click the "Repair Disk" button. If that doesn't work, post back and tell us what happened and any errors that you get.

jW

tehdude

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 7, 2012
hey,

it's not showing up in disk utility at all. i also had the same problem with another external hard drive that worked fine with snow leopard but it won't show up in lion, not even in disk utility.

tehdude

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 7, 2012
it's a really simple enclousure and it only has a usb output.

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
The enclosure may be bad then, or there may have been something that didn't go together just right. I'd see about getting the enclosure replaced if possible.

jW

tehdude

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 7, 2012
well the enclosure was working fine the other day it just stopped working after i had to force eject it. now it doesn't show up anywhere.

r0k

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit
well the enclosure was working fine the other day it just stopped working after i had to force eject it. now it doesn't show up anywhere.

Why did you have to force eject it? Take the enclosure apart and make sure the SATA cable is seated properly. If it still doesn't show up when you plug it back in, perhaps the enclosure is bad. Check Disk Utility to see if the enclosure shows up there before you assume it's bad.

Lastly, I would think you could get another enclosure at fairly low cost and give that a try.

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
I have a similar issue.

I have a 1TB WD Drive in a g-drive slim case. The drive works fine.

Today I moved the drive to a USB 3 enclosure and my Mac will not recognize the drive. I can eject or format it.

Instead, I put it back into the original enclosure and it works fine on the Mac.

I suspect that Mac OS stores some informaton about the interface as I can think of no other explanation.

I also had this happen move between two USB 2.0 cases and ended up reformatting. I would like to formatting this now.

Any thoughts?

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
It appears that the 811 chip in my Plugable hub needed a firmware update.
That has largely solved the issue.

tprinsloo

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2017
i recently got a hard drive enclousure for my old macbook pro hard drive. the hard drive was working fine and i was transferring my files on a my new macbook pro. at some point it didn't want to copy a file so i decided to eject it and then i got an error saying that it was in use, but i couldn't find what program it was so i decided to force eject it. now when i plug it back in it doesn't show up, not even in disk utility.

i've looked on google but i couldn't find any answers. any help would be greatly appreciated, because i really need to get to my old logic files.

i've had the same problem for a few weeks now. I have a 2 TB WD external and

Have had a similar problem with a 2 TB WD hard drive which also wouldn't show up anywhere. Decided to check the HD cable out (swapped it with that of a friend's 1 TB WD) and it showed again almost immediately

Menico

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2017

Have had a similar problem with a 2 TB WD hard drive which also wouldn't show up anywhere. Decided to check the HD cable out (swapped it with that of a friend's 1 TB WD) and it showed again almost immediately
[doublepost=1497705232][/doublepost]Just plug the HDD into a pc, delete the hidden files, and then plug it again into your Mac. It'll see it magically

mariam_hassann

macrumors newbie
Mar 4, 2018

Mine is vibrating and lighting up but not detected on disk utility or mac. Any clues?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.