Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gallaghermichael

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 13, 2016
Hey all,
So I'm in the process of switching files from my family's mac to my laptop. We have an external Seagate 1TB drive that has a bunch of my stuff on it. It's formatted for Mac but I thought it was also able to switch to PC as well (didn't do research and this is in fact not true) so I go to plug the drive in to my PC and a window pops up with a loading bar that looks like its initializing the hard drive. Then it stops and I can't access the drive anywhere on the computer, it just doesn't show. Frustrated I go back to the family Mac, plug in the drive, and it says I have to partition it! What happened? When I look at the drive on the Mac it now says that total capacity is 1TB, does that mean when I plugged it into the PC it wiped all the data? I would really like to recover the files if possible, any help or guidance is really appreciated!

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
It sounds like the partition table may have been damaged when you plugged it into the Windows computer. You may need a program like DiskWarrior or DiskDrill to fix the disk. In cases like this it is a good idea to have at least one backup of important data, 2 backups are even better.

Reactions: circatee
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.